× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up RAX38v2 as an access point

NMLiz
Guide

Setting up RAX38v2 as an access point

I am trying to set up my Nighthawk RAX38v2 as an access point. I was using it as my main router, but the upload bufferbloat was killing our network, so I bought an IQRouterv3, which is installed after a bridged Windstream Actiontec AC1900 modem/router.

I successfully changed the Nighthawk to AP mode, but my devices connected to it can't connect to the wifi printer on the IQRouter, so I know I have done something wrong. I am used to the old method of setting up an AP (assigning it a static IP, turning off DHCP, etc.) but don't understand what the difference is with AP mode.

Questions:

• The Nighthawk is wired via a Powerline adapter. Should the wire go to the WAN or a LAN port on the Nighthawk?
  • Should DHCP on the Nighthawk be turned off?
  • How do I set up a subnet for the wifi devices on the Nighthawk (to isolate them)? For example, if the main router is giving out addresses that start with 192.168.7.1, then how do I assign a different range to the Nighthawk, such as 192.168.10.1?

Sorry if this is too elementary, as Spock would say.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

@NMLiz wrote:

I am trying to set up my Nighthawk RAX38v2 as an access point. I was using it as my main router, but the upload bufferbloat was killing our network, so I bought an IQRouterv3, which is installed after a bridged Windstream Actiontec AC1900 modem/router.

I successfully changed the Nighthawk to AP mode, but my devices connected to it can't connect to the wifi printer on the IQRouter, so I know I have done something wrong. I am used to the old method of setting up an AP (assigning it a static IP, turning off DHCP, etc.) but don't understand what the difference is with AP mode.

Questions:

• The Nighthawk is wired via a Powerline adapter. Should the wire go to the WAN or a LAN port on the Nighthawk? WAN port
  • Should DHCP on the Nighthawk be turned off? If you put the RAX in to AP mode, DHCP gets disabled:

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

• How do I set up a subnet for the wifi devices on the Nighthawk (to isolate them)? For example, if the main router is giving out addresses that start with 192.168.7.1, then how do I assign a different range to the Nighthawk, such as 192.168.10.1?

When in AP Mode the RAX needs to be on the same subnet as the host router. 

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

This statement makes me a little leary.

"I am trying to set up my Nighthawk RAX38v2 as an access point. I was using it as my main router, but the upload bufferbloat was killing our network, so I bought an IQRouterv3, which is installed after a bridged Windstream Actiontec AC1900 modem/router."

Reason why is your going

modem/router---->router--->AP

and you were having bufferbloat before switching to another router. 

Many times I find the modem/router combo devices "bridge" mode to not function properly. 

It makes me suspicious that that Actiontec either isn't running properly in bridge mode or isn't in bridge mode and thats causing the bufferbloat. 

What happens if you put the actiontec back in router mode (disable its wifi) and put the RAX in AP mode and connect it to the actiontec? You might not need the iqrouter at all. 

Message 3 of 5
NMLiz
Guide

Apologies, I had not set up a static IP on the IQRouter for the printer. Once I did so, it seems to be working correctly.

I was unaware that there were problems with bridge mode in the Actiontec. I was having problems with the previous Actiontec modem/router, so this is a brand new one that Windstream sent me. It seems to be working much better.

But thanks everyone for your help. If I start having problems again, I will try the Actiontec in router mode.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Hope it works well for you with how you have it setup!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7