× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Short security timeout is counterproductive.

pjd813
Guide

Short security timeout is counterproductive.

Using the RAX500 here. The login timeout on the Netgear routers is mind boggling, unreasonably short. Especially while sorting out the minutiae of setting up devices and router settings when I have to go back and forth between applications (and rooms). It’s ridiculous just using the interface day to day but when troubleshooting or setting up it’s just unnecessary stress and aggravation. Is there a setting that would address this, either in the interface or in a “hidden” page?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you referring to the RAXE500? 
What actual time are you seeing in seconds or minutes before the web page logs you out? What kind of time are you taking when you select or click on something to the next mouse click?

What FW version are you using? 

What browser are you using? 

No setting that can be changed. 

I've not seen any time out issues with my RAXE500 router. 

Message 2 of 5
pjd813
Guide

Yes, RAXE500. Safari on iPad, Firefox on MacOS, and MS-Edge on Windows. All up to date. The timeout on the newer Netgear web interface is consistently too short for reasonable back and forth activity between applications, screens or going between rooms troubleshooting installation issues. We are talking about 1 or 2 minutes of inactivity. That’s just too short. My inability to adjust this timeout when I’m using a secure device that only I use is silly. I should be able to change this at my discretion just the same as adjustments to when a computer or phone time out. While “too short” may be subjective when going back and forth, back and forth, backandforthbackandforthbackandforthbackandforthbackandforth - as one will when installing, researching and troubleshooting issues it’s inconsiderate, to say the least, that this not user adjustable.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Router web page time has never been a user changable feature. Most users can navigate and move around and make adjustments to the web page keeping the timer from expiring and should be able to do this well with in a 1-2 minute idle time. Navigating around and selecting on different features keeps the timeout from expiring. The web page is meant to navigated and any user changes with in a fair given amount of time. I've seen 3 minutes max time out on other routers. The web page isn't meant to be left open or idle for long periods of time. Ya only one user should have access however for security reasons router mfrs chose to help log users out out a period of time. You may want to adjust how you navigate and make adjustmets in the routers web page. 

You can post about his here and see if NG does anything to add it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Highly doubtful though. 

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 5
TimPoi
Initiate

Sorry, but it's unhelpful to say to someone "you don't need what you just said you needed."

I also hate the timeout length on the routerlogin.net page. It's stupid short. When you're setting up your new router, it takes time to go between your devices, research settings, and come back to the router page. Netgear needs to give us the option to make the timeout longer - period.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7