× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should I use WPA/WPA2 on home router?

prr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Should I use WPA/WPA2 on home router?

Just got a Nighthawk RAX35. It replaced an older Linksys and my internet speed is now double what it was yesterday. 🙂 

I do have one question. Poking around the security settings & pages here, I saw that netgear recommends WPA/WPA2 security. I logged in to routerlogin.net on my phone, and I was able to get to the page that allowed me to choose the settings. But after hitting Apply, it tells me that the IP is invalid. I went back and entered the IP for the router, and I got the same error message. 

What am I supposed to do? Or should I even worry about that level of router security for a home network? 

Message 1 of 4
prr
Aspirant
Aspirant

FWIW, the default is WPA-2/PSK. 

Message 2 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello prr, 

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 3 of 4
CLBTuco
Star

I think you need to use the Netgear app or update via a computer.  Don't use WPA, its a weak form of security.

Set to WPA3 Personal for better security, if you have only WIFI6 devices.  Set to WPA2/WPA3 Transitional for compatibility with older devices

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7