× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow speeds over wifi

EvinDtv
Aspirant

Slow speeds over wifi

Set up my router with my gigabit connection. Using the nighthawk app I get 820 Mbps down and 600 Mbps up. When connecting via eithernet I only see 600/200 Mbps and using wifi I get 30/5 Mbps. I have performed a factory reset 2x and rebooted numerous times. Could I have recieved a defective unit or is there something else I should try first? Just switched back to my XR500 for the time being, nighthawk says 600/400 Mbps, using ethernet I get very close to that and wifi is around 200-300/200Mbps. Without changing any settings on my modem.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Firmware on the RAX120?

What device are you testing with? have you tested other devices? What do they get?

Are you connecting with smart connect?

If so, disable it for speed testing. 2.4ghz has lower throughput. it should be a bit faster than that but its device specific as well as interference in the 2.4ghz band could be causing issues. Wifi really isn't a good measure to test gigabit because it won't max it out. 

Are you running QoS? If so disable it. it really isn't needed if you have gigabit speeds. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX120

Message 2 of 7
EvinDtv
Aspirant

Smart connect is disabled, connecting to the router directly via ethernet with my laptop I was only receiveing at most 600/500. Although the app says the router is receiving 960/760 from my modem. Using my XR500 I get faster speeds via ethernet and wifi, Is there a known issue with the RAX120 firmware? I tried to disable QoS and my wifi speeds dropped to 54 Mbps on 2.4G and 5.G

Message 3 of 7
EvinDtv
Aspirant

Router Firmware Version V1.0.1.90

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

did you factory reset after updating firmware? Always make sure to update over a hardwired connection and to factory reset it afterwwards. 

If you haven't, try this. I've found it helpful with the RAX line. 

Message 5 of 7
EvinDtv
Aspirant

Yes, after updating it I performed a factory reset. I also just tried again to turn off QoS and it limits both wifi bands to 54Mbps. I'm not sure what is wrong with this router but have seen many posts about similar issues and slow speeds. Is there any known firmware issues or a specific one I should try rather than the newest available?

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

the only other thing I'd try would be to downgrade the firmware to an earlier version to see if it is a bug. 

If that doesn't work, I'd see about either going through support (free 90 days support) or doing an RMA for it. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7