× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The Netgear RAX78 Drops ALL 2.4GHz connections 2-3 times a day. Do not buy if you have multiple 2.4G

CaxtonR
Tutor

The Netgear RAX78 Drops ALL 2.4GHz connections 2-3 times a day. Do not buy if you have multiple 2.4G

The Netgear RAX78 Drops ALL 2.4GHz connections 2-3 times a day. Do not buy if you have multiple 2.4GHz devices (Nest Thermostat, printers, smart switches). Netgear’s issues with 2.4GHz are well documented on the web if you Google it. I worked with Netgear Tech Support on 7 calls for over a month and the problem can not be fixed. Unfortunately, Netgear will not tell you that their routers have a huge problem with this 2.4GHz issue and will send you in circles and through endless hoops changing settings that never work. I returned this router and bought an ASUS RTAX86U, and it has worked flawlessly, AVOID NETGEAR if you have 2.4GHz devices.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CaxtonR
Tutor

Re: The Netgear RAX78 Drops ALL 2.4GHz connections 2-3 times a day. Do not buy if you have multip...

Netgear clearly has a design fault with 2.4GHz.  As I mentioned above I purchased an ASUS RTAX86U Dual Band WiFi  Router.  The ASUS has not dropped a single connection since I purchased it.  I have 27 devices connected to it, 14 are 2.4GHz (Nest Thermostat, Sleep Number Bed, numerous smart switches etc.).  Working with Netgear Support including Level 2 support was a complete waste of time, I am an Electrical Engineer and they clearly have a design flaw that they won't admit to.

I would highly recommend blowing off Netgear and buying ASUS.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: The Netgear RAX78 Drops ALL 2.4GHz connections 2-3 times a day. Do not buy if you have multip...

Hello CaxtonR,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 7
CaxtonR
Tutor

Christian, 

As I stated in my post above, I contacted Netgear support (including level II support) concerning  the issue:

Case No: 44428444
Product: Nighthawk AX8 AX6600 WiFi 6 Router(RAX78) 
Problem: 2.4Ghz connectivity issue

Over a period of a month your tech support had me reload firmware, reset the router, change channels (Auto, 11, 67, 4, 14) MTU and host of other modifications to the settings, NONE OF WHICH WORKED.  In short, Netgear wasted tens of hours of my time, trying to fix an flaw with your routers.  The problem is all over the Web.  I am extremely disgusted with Netgear support in that they did not flat out tell me that Netgear routers DO NOT SUPPORT multiple 2.4GHZ devices  (Nest Thermostat, printers, smart switches).  

FYI, I purchased an ASUS RTAX86U Dual Band WiFi  Router which has worked FLAWLESSLY since I bought it, NOT a SINGLE DROP of any device or channel.

Netgear needs to get their problem wiht 2.4GHz fixed and quit wasting their customers time and money, period.

Caxton

Message 3 of 7
Qcontinuum1701
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues w/ my EAX80.  It keeps dropping the 2.4GHz link to the RAX200 router.  Netgear RMA'd the first one but the new one is doing the same thing.

Message 4 of 7
CaxtonR
Tutor

Netgear clearly has a design fault with 2.4GHz.  As I mentioned above I purchased an ASUS RTAX86U Dual Band WiFi  Router.  The ASUS has not dropped a single connection since I purchased it.  I have 27 devices connected to it, 14 are 2.4GHz (Nest Thermostat, Sleep Number Bed, numerous smart switches etc.).  Working with Netgear Support including Level 2 support was a complete waste of time, I am an Electrical Engineer and they clearly have a design flaw that they won't admit to.

I would highly recommend blowing off Netgear and buying ASUS.

Message 5 of 7
RIkkipsm2169
Aspirant

Thank you greatly for your post! On my second Netgear router, not even a year old and any Wi-Fi connectivity is gone, can not login to router to fix, tried troubleshooting until I was blue in the face and was thinking of going with an Asus myself. Your statement is exact with my thoughts and I will be doing the same thing. I knew I was not alone in my my wondering thoughts. Thank you again for your post 😉!
Message 6 of 7
RIkkipsm2169
Aspirant

Christian, the above router is my second router with Netgear in a year following the AC1750. That router constantly kept dropping WiFi period! Then keep automatically rebooting over and over and over again. At the time there was no fix. Now all I can find is "bricked" router fixes on YouTube. Then, I bought my current AX6 5400 router. AFTER 90 DAYS but, less then 6 months after purchase, I cannot recieve any connection. The Netgear CM700 modem works fine according to my Xfinity provided modem test and resets. All the lights on the router are on however, the network choice within my Wi-Fi choices on my New Galaxy S21 the router will not connect to because it is not sending out a WiFi signal; saying NO IP adress when this was originally set to auto router login.net.

As said, I cannot even get in the router. So I cannot control any items in my smart apartment, the reason I bought the router. I can reset the IP of the computer but, not the router; point being, I found Netgear products to be untrustworthy and cost of ownership if I don't by your specific additional third party warranties very high. If you do not have these warranties, you guys will not even bother with someone.

I find because of these practices from Netgear to be very poor management and I will be switching to Asus for my home.

Thank-you for letting me share my story.

Joseph Hedlund
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7