× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Thinking of Buying an RAX80

SteelSteve7
Aspirant

Thinking of Buying an RAX80

As the Subject indicates I find myself in need of a new home router. 

My home setup is as follows:

ISP - Verizon FIOS - 300 / 300

Number of Devices = 30+ (I have some IoT devices, Desktop, mulitple laptops, tablets, Game Consoles, and other smart devices).

I would say with the exception of mine and my wifes Iphone 11's most of my 5GHZ devices are AC, and I'm sure some of the really old ones are still N.  

Most of my IoT devices I connect via 2.4

My current router is a Tri-Band, though unfortuantely only 2 bands have been usable for awhile now, and I suspect its dropping the 2.4 band priodically as I'm having more and more issues with my IoT devices needing to be reset to connect back to the router.  

I wasn't originally looking at the RAX80, reading elsewhere that the 120 had a better chipset, and of course the 200 has the Tri-band, but right now its on sale where I am, and its available making it a temping opertunity.  I've been lurking around on here for awhile now, but can't seem to determine if more recent FW has fixed most of the complaints with the RAX80 or if its onsale for a reason and I should keep looking.  

All opinions are welcome

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

I like the AX devices but I'm a fan of giving the firmware a little more time if you can get your primary router running decent.

Which triband do you have?  They're usually pretty capable and I've found most wifi issues related to firmware.

what firmware is on it? 

What modem is it connected to? 

Message 2 of 5
SteelSteve7
Aspirant

Current router isn't Netgear is Linksys (EA9300). 

Message 3 of 5
MacauBBS
Star

Linksys is better

Message 4 of 5
Archaeus
Aspirant

Having just bought the RAX80 myself two days ago, I can't say I fully recommend it just yet. The initial setup was very problematic, I initially received speeds of less than 300Mbit over wired and wireless (I have gigabit) even when the router itself was pulling 930Mbit from my cable modem. I got it working eventually after trying some unorthodox settings and workarounds posted  by other who had similar problems. My suggestion is to buy it from somewhere with a generous return policy.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7