× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN not connecting

bonneyt214
Aspirant

VPN not connecting

Yet another "I can't connect", but...

I have tried this with windoze 10, linux (fedora 32) and my android phone (galaxy s9). I followed the instructions from the admin web page: downloaded the zip files, unzipped and imported the client file into the respective openvpn apps. Then I try to connect. All that happens is that the app waits and then times out.

For the linux attempts, I watched a wireshark trace, and that showed a UDP packet sent to the router, then a UDP packet sent back. Sorry, but I don't know how to decipher the UDP's payloads.

For the android phone, the log just shows: CONNECTION_TIMEOUT.

I have googled a lot, seeing many posts about telnet-ing into the router and messing around with certificates. But 1) I can't manage to telnet in; 2) why should I have to?

Please, any help appreciated.

ken

PS: Firmware V1.0.11.123_10.2.100.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
Razor512
Prodigy

For the openVPN server, on android, use the openvpn connect app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.openvpn.openvpn

It is also useful to have a dynamic dns service set up such as noip.

If you have the router behind another router, then the VPN server function will not work unless you forward the ports to on the router in front of it.

Beyond that, there are a few things to keep in mind.

• If you are currently connected to the router (on the same LAN as the router), then you will be unable to connect, as the OpenVPN server only lisens and accepts connections from the WAN side.
  • On windows, the instructions are quite specific and missing steps can cause issues, e.g., if you forget to rename the adapter.

Message 2 of 4
bonneyt214
Aspirant

As I said, I followed the instructions from the router's admin page - exactly.
  • I did use the OpenVPN app from the android store. If necessary, I can post the logs from it.
  • I do have a DDNS (thank you mynetgear.com).
  • My connection is from the cable modem to the WAN port on the router (via a switch). No port forwarding, not connecting from the LAN.
  • And, again, I did follow the instructions - without missing any steps - for windoze (use TAP, change names, etc.). And running wireshark on that  system had the same result: packet sent to the router, packet returned from the router.

I have set up vpn's on linux boxes before, both client and server. So I am not a complete NOOB. And since there is no debug info from the router itself, though, I can't say what it is, or is not, doing. But all of the connections to the router and client machine are set as per specification, and from my experience, should be correct.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 4
Razor512
Prodigy

In that case, you will need to check the logs, also check if the client you are using is still allowing the encryption type to be used (especially needed on older routers that will be using an older version of the server).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7