× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi Router AX1800 RAX10 internet(both wireless and wired) drop randomly throughout the day

Momega
Tutor

Wifi Router AX1800 RAX10 internet(both wireless and wired) drop randomly throughout the day

My internet will randomly drop throughout the day. My computer connected to my router through ethernet and any wireless devices connected will lose connection. It will come back after a minute or two with the internet speed taking a hit for another minute until it goes back up. 

I checked with my ISP(Charter Spectrum) and there haven't been issues with their connection or modem. 

The things I have done to no avail:

-Factory reset both the modem and router.

-Updated firmware in both of them.

-Disabled MU-MIMO which helped for a little bit in how much quicker my router reconnected back to the internet after randomly disconnecting.

-Checked power cables and changed ethernet cables in case they were the issue. They weren't the problem.

I don't know what the issue is. It's been more than 90 days since I bought this router and this issue has been happening. Funny thing is I had a router before which had the same issue and would work for a while after updating before doing this again. I don't know why. 

Message 1 of 9
Kitsap
Master

Re: Wifi Router AX1800 RAX10 internet(both wireless and wired) drop randomly throughout the day

In order for other people to help you, you are going to need to provide additional information.

Start with the brand name and model number of the ISP modem.  Are you sure the device is not a combination modem and router?  It is unusual you were able to update the firmware on the modem.  Usually the ISP's will not allow the end user to update the firmware on a modem connected to their system.  A copy of the cable connections page from the modem would also be helpful.  You need to include all of the down stream and all of the up stream channel information.

It is not unusual for the ISP to tell you there is no indication of a problem on their end.  Less work for them.

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi Router AX1800 RAX10 internet(both wireless and wired) drop randomly throughout the day

@Kitsap is exactly correct, spectrums first response is always "its not the line" but yet they lock down their modems so you can't check the cable connection and logs yourself. A good way for them to not have to actually check it. 

Is it happening every day? If so, disconnect the router from the modem and directly wire a device into the modem and use it for the day. See if its speeds drop. Usually when both wired and wireless are dropping, thats the first place I start with checking. 

Message 3 of 9
Momega
Tutor

@Kitsap @plemans I made a mistake, I didn't update the modem's firmware. I thought I did for some reason. The modem I have is made by Motorola and the model number is TM1602A MTA. It's an Arris modem. 

Internet cuts out randomly every day. The person I spoke with was telling me there weren't any internet issues on spectrum's end when he was looking at the modem's logs(I'm not able to see them).How would I get a copy of the cable connections page from the modem? The down stream and up stream channel information. Will I need to call spectrum and ask for a copy?

I will connect my computer to the modem for another day and see if I have any disconnections. I will post an update within the next few days.

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

You won't be able to see/view the logs and cable connection info. Like I said, spectrum locked those down so end users can't view them. Another reason to buy your own modem. 

Try the hardwiring into the modem with a single device and using it for a period. If it doesn't stay stable, you know its the modem. 

Message 5 of 9
Momega
Tutor

@Kitsap @plemans I figured out how to find the logs and upstream and downstream. Here are some screenshots I took. If they have compromising info and I need to delete the pictures, please let me know. I'm unfamiliar with this. You'll have to rotate some of them because I'm not sure how to make them work. I apologize in advance for that.

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

missed a bit of the details but it looks like there's quite a few errors in the line from both the errors in the signal strength and the logs. 

Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
If you can, simply connect the modem right where the coax comes into the home. This prevents wiring in the home from being the issue. And some ISP’s charge if the wiring issue is in the home. So this helps prevent this.

Message 7 of 9
Kitsap
Master

How long has it been since you rebooted the modem?

The power levels on the line appear to be high.  That causes just as much of a problem as their being low.  The modem is designed to operate within a range of power input.  Netgear usually specifies from +7 to -7 dBmV.

Message 8 of 9
Momega
Tutor

@Kitsap @plemans I exchanged my modem with Charter Spectrum and was given a Sercomm ES2251 modem. I haven't had any issues yet(I think?). I can't log into this modem in order to check the logs like my previous modem. At least not yet. Will have to figure it out. I will post an update in a week or so to let you two know how it goes. Fingers crossed all goes well!

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series