× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless Speed

JerBear1994
Aspirant

Wireless Speed

I recently purchased a Netgear modem CM1150V and a Netgear wireless router RAX15.  I'm getting wired download speeds of 900+ mbps, but wireless speeds of just over 100 mbps.  I'm under the impression that I should get faster wireless speeds than that.  Am I incorrect in my expectations?  Can I change something in the settings?  Do I need a better router?  

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: Wireless Speed

are you connecting to the 2.4ghz network or the 5ghz network? 

2.4ghz is much slower than 5ghz and more sensitive to interference. 

If you're using smart connect, it might be putting your device on the 2.4ghz band and not the 5ghz. 

Also, what device are you testing with? A 1x1 antenna device is going to get lower speeds than a 2x2 antenna device

Message 2 of 14
JerBear1994
Aspirant

I'm connecting to the 5g network. Testing with an app on my cell phone provides results around 70 mbps. Testing with an app on my Firestick provides results just over 100 mbps. My tv is in the other room about 15 feet away with only 1 wall in between.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

What speed do you get over a hardwired connection on the router? 

Message 4 of 14
JerBear1994
Aspirant

900+ mbps

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

So you're getting full speed to the modem and then the router.

What device are you testing speed on? (specifics)

I wouldn't test off the firestick as they're unreliable for speedtesting. 

Message 6 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Wi-Fi speed depends on the capabilities of the access point and the Wi-Fi client.

@JerBear1994 wrote:

Testing with an app on my cell phone provides results around 70 mbps.

Make, model, version, OS of the mobile?

@JerBear1994 wrote:

Testing with an app on my Firestick provides results just over 100 mbps.

The Fire TV devices are purpose built to serve a specific usages, with the priority on strong video decoding with hardware decoding, reasonable good GPU, ... and not as a high speed throughput test device. Most Firestick/box/whatever calim (very vaguely) to have a "2x2  Dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac" Wi-Fi client (can't see anything about bandwidth, link ... this can translate to anything from 65 to 86 Mbit PHY link rates. Ethernet is 10/100 Mb/s where built-in, USB ports are MicroUSB so this is USB 2.0 translating again to 100 Mb/s PHY rate.

Message 7 of 14
JerBear1994
Aspirant

My cell phone is a Moto G6 running android version 9. I don't even use wifi on my phone really, it was just a means of testing. The primary purpose of the wireless router is for the Firestick, and occasions I have guests that need wifi. So if just over 100 mbps on the Firestick is all I should expect, that's fine. I didn't know, that's why I put it out there.

Message 8 of 14
schumaku
Guru

As per the Motorola Moto G6 (XT1925-6 32GB) Specs and Motorola Announces Moto g6 and e5 , it's either 802.11 a/b/g/n G6 Play or 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2x2 MU-MIMO G6/G6 Plus.

The 70 Mbit/s match to about a 802.11n 2x2 20 MHz bandwidth, 64-QAM 3/4 133 Mb/s link rate or a 64-QAM 5/6 144 Mb/s link rate (net rate about 55%). Perfectly sufficient to surf the Internet, play online music or videos....

Message 9 of 14
JerBear1994
Aspirant

Ok, thank you both very much for your help.

Message 10 of 14
DeMOLAY-Mason
Aspirant

Hi recently purchased a CM1100 modem and a RAX15 router. I got a 1gb plan on the modem wired im getting 900 plus mbps but on Rax15 router wired i got only 290mbps.

Message 11 of 14
DeMOLAY-Mason
Aspirant

Mine CM1100 wired 900mbps on RAX15 wired only 290mbps.
Message 12 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@DeMOLAY-Mason wrote:

... getting 900 plus mbps but on Rax15 router wired i got only 290mbps.

Double checked this is with a correctly working Gigabit Ethernet LAN link from the test computer to the RAX15, not using a wireless link?

In case it's wireless (as per this thread subject) what wireless client are we facing here - make, model, driver version, on what operating system?

Message 13 of 14
DeMOLAY-Mason
Aspirant

Both wired. from cm1100 to desktop 900mbps but from cm1100 to router RAX15 wired i got only 275-290mbps
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7