× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cat 5e wire that came with Nighthawk router

OldBob
Luminary

cat 5e wire that came with Nighthawk router

My new  Netgear router came with a VERY thin black wire that is labeled Cat 5e.  All the videos and my current wire from the modem to the router is a thick yellow wire labeled also Cat 5e.  Is 5E  5E  no matter its color or thickness?  Can I use my existing Cat 5E instead of the one supplied with the router? My existing wire is a bit longer and will accommodate where I need to place the router. 

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
OldBob
Luminary

Re: cat 5e wire that came with Nighthawk router

Thank you..can I use the thinner one that was in the Nighthawk package to connect my laptop to the router when doing firmware updates to get the wired connection needed?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

yes you can use your existing cat5e cable. 

Some debate cable thickness but in a 6ft run, you aren't going to see a difference. 

Message 2 of 5
OldBob
Luminary

Thank you..can I use the thinner one that was in the Nighthawk package to connect my laptop to the router when doing firmware updates to get the wired connection needed?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@OldBob wrote:

Most certainly. 

Message 4 of 5
OldBob
Luminary

thank you again for your so timely help!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7