× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: dlna server attached usb srive

AHS82Mike
Aspirant

dlna server attached usb srive

I attached a USB 1T drive to the USB port of my router. In "This PC" in WIn11 I see the DLNA server as a network location. When I click on it I see what must be preinstalled folders like Music, Pictures, Video. My 1T drive, where is it supposed to show up? I turned on network sharing in the settings of Win11. The drive, when attached directly to the PC works fine, so I know the drive is good. I have tried \\readyshare but that window states "this folder is empty" even though I placed folders on the drive when it was attached to the PC directly via USB. I am usure how this is supposed to work. Thanks.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
AHS82Mike
Aspirant

I have this resolved. I had to reformat the drive into a compatible format and erase any manufacturer installed security on it. With that done, I see it on my router, and I also have is as a networked drive on my PC. I got the tidbit to perform a reformat as only certain formats are recognized. Thanks for all your time in this matter 🙂 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies

@AHS82Mike wrote:

I attached a USB 1T drive to the USB port of my router. In "This PC" in WIn11 I see the DLNA server as a network location. When I click on it I see what must be preinstalled folders like Music, Pictures, Video. My 1T drive, where is it supposed to show up?

Is the ReadyDLNA server turned on in the router?

These aren't folders so much as the "catalogue" pointers that the server uses to link particular media files to their type. Windows then knows where to find media files. You may see those pointers regardless of using ReadyDLNA. There is a DLNA server built into Windows 11.

I have tried \\readyshare but that window states "this folder is empty" even though I placed folders on the drive when it was attached to the PC directly via USB. I am usure how this is supposed to work. Thanks.

Are you saying that you cannot access anything on the USB drive in Windows 11?

Solved: ALL Netgear USB Drive Mapping Issues ReadyShareCo... - NETGEAR Communities

Here's where to look in Windows 11:

• Settings
  • Apps
  • Optional Features
  • More Windows features

michaelkenward_0-1701253344929.jpeg

Message 2 of 7
AHS82Mike
Aspirant

On the routers basic page for the ReadySHARE USB storage, there is no drive present. Remember the drive does work when connected to the PC instead so the drive is good. In the Advanced settings for USB storage, the Network Connection \\Readyshare is enabled, as is the HTTP connection. In the Media Server tab, Enable DLNA Media Server is checked with the media server name: RAXE300. For Content Scan, the automatic is also enabled. Thank you.

Message 3 of 7

@AHS82Mike wrote:

On the routers basic page for the ReadySHARE USB storage, there is no drive present.

So, it isn't working with ReadySHARE.

That was the key bit of my first reply.

Remember the drive does work when connected to the PC instead so the drive is good.

What about the SMB settings?

In the Advanced settings for USB storage, the Network Connection \\Readyshare is enabled, as is the HTTP connection.

That deals with the router side, but if Windows can't see the USB storage in ReadySHARE, you can forget about DLNA or any other access to the drive.

Message 4 of 7
AHS82Mike
Aspirant

OK, thank you. I did not know I needed a DLNA specific drive. How do I find compatible drives for this? Again, thanks.

Message 5 of 7
AHS82Mike
Aspirant

I have this resolved. I had to reformat the drive into a compatible format and erase any manufacturer installed security on it. With that done, I see it on my router, and I also have is as a networked drive on my PC. I got the tidbit to perform a reformat as only certain formats are recognized. Thanks for all your time in this matter 🙂 

Message 6 of 7

@AHS82Mike wrote:

I did not know I needed a DLNA specific drive.

You don't. But your drive must have a compatible format. No partitions or anything slightly odd.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series