× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

do you need a modem to access the internet with an RAX50?

trixtri
Aspirant

do you need a modem to access the internet with an RAX50?

everything else working but wont pick up the interset from a connection that works perfect for another free router that came with the fibre order, diagram says it needs a cable modem before the fibre is that the case?

Message 1 of 20
plemans
Guru

Re: do you need a modem to access the internet with an RAX50?

Which fibre gateway is it? 

Some have an integrated router and need certain settings changed

Message 2 of 20
trixtri
Aspirant

Thanks for the response, I had a talk talk free router there preschools with no modem which works well, but the RAX50 has all lights set to go except for the internet. What setting would change and where would I change them?

I heard if the provider only allows one MAC number you have to clone and mask the Ax50 to be the same?
Message 3 of 20

@trixtri wrote:
Thanks for the response, I had a talk talk free router there preschools with no modem

What TalkTalk service is this?

Mostly TalkTalk offers VDSL (fibre to the cabinet) with very few areas with "fibre to the premises".

So there's a high probability that the TalkTalk "free router" was really a modem router. If so, then you'll need something in front of the RAX50, which is a plain router.

If you still have the TalkTalk box you can try that in front of the RAX50. Ideally you should put it into modem only (bridged) mode or you could have problems with two routers messing around with each other.

Not knowing more about your system it isn't possible to be clearer than that.

I suggest a bit more research with TalkTalk. It isn't really a Netgear problem.

Start here:

ForumIndex - TalkTalk Help & Support

Message 4 of 20
trixtri
Aspirant

Big thanks michaelkenward, makes sense and I did think of trying that but seemed to negate the idea of having a super router... if it doesn’t offer that facility and only fast Wi-Fi, is it the right solution for me, I will feed back the results abs again, 🙏
Message 5 of 20

Make and model of the TalkTalk modem/router?

BT goes out of its way to prevent users from putting its modem/routers into modem-only mode. But not all ISPs are that evil.

Message 6 of 20
trixtri
Aspirant

it is an old Hawaie router from 2017 gives speeds of 100mg ethernet cable, its not a modem either so it cant be that and i guess i could use it to daisey chain with the Nighthawk, but doesn't make sense, do you know about the cloning of an exciting MAC address, as is suggested in the manual 'Configure your router to clone your computer’s MAC address' or any other perhaps its a provider security and i need to contact them?

thanks MK

Message 7 of 20
trixtri
Aspirant

So the router works when conntected to the old router by an ethernet cable, the internet button is illuminated and seems to enable WiFi devices to content to it

but ultimately i cant get the new router to work without the old one which defeats the purpose and on the 3rd floor i cant get internet contectivity with the new router even when piggy backing on the old one, and devices seem to default to the old router newtwork whcih still works...help please

thanks

Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 8 of 20

I still don't see an answer to this question:

Make and model of the TalkTalk modem/router?

Message 9 of 20
trixtri
Aspirant

ahh sorry specifcially Huawei HG633

Message 10 of 20

@trixtri wrote:

ahh sorry specifcially Huawei HG633

That looks like a standard, low spec router.

Unfortunately, I can't find a manual for the Huawei box. But it is called a "router". If that is true, on its own, it does not seem to deliver the Internet.

It should simply be a case of removing that and plugging in the RAX50 instead.

You plug the RAX50 into whatever it was you plugged the HG633 into.

If the HG633 is a modem/router, then you will need a modem.

I'm afraid we are going round in circles here, but that is because we don't have an answer to the earlier question about the sort of Internet you have.

References to "fibre" don't help. Every Internet service is fibre somewhere along the line, and is sold as such. But that does not mean that you have a fibre that comes to your front door.

Message 11 of 20
trixtri
Aspirant

Perhaps the thing to try is the Mac spoofing which I can’t seem to emulate? Do you know how to do that when the Router is a petal of the daisy, maybe best to get W router for another £100..;-(
Message 12 of 20

@trixtri wrote:
Perhaps the thing to try is the Mac spoofing ...

You seem to have arrived at your idea of a solution without understanding how your ISP's system works.

I see no suggestion that this has anything to do with how TalkTalk runs its network. That term just does not appear on its community site

Home - TalkTalk Help & Support

Then again, as an ex TalkTalk customer, this does not surprise me. It has always struck me as the worst ISP in the UK, one-time home of (Baroness) Typhoid Dido (Harding).

What makes you think it will work for you?

I still have no idea what your TalkTalk Internet service is (cable, VDSL, fibre) or what the first box out of the wall you have.

@trixtri wrote:
maybe best to get W router for another £100..;-(

What's a "W router"?

Message 13 of 20
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

https://setuprouter.com/router/huawei/hg633-talktalk/manual-1872.pdf

that's your routers manual, see bridge mode but it's an old router and maybe worth considering finding a modem second hand like the HG612. 

if however this is too confusing I would recommend you find a local company who can look and install your router for you so at least it's set up ok as you are struggling a little bit to understand the help given to you.

Message 14 of 20

@Newfiedrool wrote:

that's your routers manual, see bridge mode but it's an old router and maybe worth considering finding a modem second hand like the HG612. 

You can say that again.

If @trixtri is on DSL, the choice is limited and shrinking. Netgear and other makers seem to have abandoned the DSL modem market. There are some modem/routers out there, but they come with problems, especially if you want one is a router front end.

I ditched a D6400 in favour of the DM200. The first I bought retail, but by the time I cane ti buy a second modem, for my ither5 line, the DM 200 had vanished from the retail chain. I ended up buying an "open box" one at about the same price. It turned out to be "as new", with the usual plastic covering. But it is now down to the second hand market, where prices can be silly.

But is @trixtri on DSL. That remains a mystery, for some unknown reason.

That box is ADSL. Will it even do VDSL?

I know from experience that TalkTalk dumped its ADSL customers on Fleur Telecom. That forced me to switch to BT, which turns out to have better support than TalkTalk by a long stretch

@Newfiedrool wrote:

if however this is too confusing I would recommend you find a local company who can look and install your router for you so at least it's set up ok as you are struggling a little bit to understand the help given to you.

Given the conversation so far, I reckon that this is excellent advice.

Message 15 of 20
trixtri
Aspirant

Evening, agreed -  if I hadn’t just spend £250 on this router that is not compliant with my set up, i would just call in the Feds, however, the reason i am here is to get some cost effective advise from you kind professionals!.

so where I have got to, and apologise its incremental, i am not network slick in case you thought otherwise!

I have a HG633 that is set to VDSL, verified  by looking at router settings -  i cant see any reference in the RAX50 manual to VSDL let alone VSDL2 which is what i think my old HG633 does. 

I think this is a deal breaker, as there is no point in me spending another £100 on a Modem (suggestion by amazon) as a companion to the RAX50 which i had hoped would be self-sufficient, so my bad I think.

The fact that none of this is clear anyway has turned me off the product/ brand really.

I just wanted good coverage for a large space working from home!

Anyway thanks for all your suggestions,

Message 16 of 20
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It's the same with all routers, with all the various connections and configurations no manufacturer can cover it all in the operating manual. They leave that part to the end user.

Perhaps the HG612 modem which you can get of EBay for around £20 would be worth considering but if you are not use to networks it's worth asking around your local area if anyone can help, even your local Facebook page.

Once you learn the basics you will soon get the hand of it but just get a bit of help to start with.

Message 17 of 20
trixtri
Aspirant

thanks NewFeidrool, the link takes me to the HG533 rather than the HG633 model which i have from here already, 

HG633 Manual

The idea of the Netgear Community shuntting me off to a local trades person as they cant seem to solve the issue is frankly a bit lame, the purpose of these boards is to share expertize and encourage learning and solution providing, so if your not onboard with that, perhaps dont comment?

HG633 Manual 

meanwhile back at the ranch, seems people have been using HG633 for a bridge for a while now with some tweaks to the router configuration via the portal.

bridge mode HG633 

so off to try that 😉 will keep you posted!

Message 18 of 20
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Might not be great to call people who help lame, some might take offence. you need to see if your router offers bridge mode by reading the manual. If not you need a modem.

I think everyone has tried to help you and sadly it's a case of learning but not everyone is good with networks so if they struggle to understand the very basics it's best to seek help so in the end you have it set up and working and having some one there where perhaps you can watch and even write down the process to make life easier for you.

we have solved your issue and given you routes to try. We can't do any more than that sadly. 

hopefully you will be able to work it out as you will have to do more resets down the line which is common after updates on firmware. 

Message 19 of 20

@trixtri wrote:

i cant see any reference in the RAX50 manual to VSDL let alone VSDL2 which is what i think my old HG633 does. 

That is because DSL has nothing to do with routers. All a router like the RAX50 needs is an Internet connection from a box that has a wired Ethernet LAN output.

There are many ways of connecting a router to the Internet. The manual can't cover them all. For example, a couple of users recently asked about systems with a satellite dish at the front end. The manual cannot describe every way if connecting to the Internet, especially as it is not relevant to how you set up a router.

All the manual needs to do is to explain the process for getting on to the Internet.

Page 16 of the manual has a section Cable your router. It clearly shows that you have to plug the RAX50 into a modem.

That really answers the question that kicked off this discussion "do you need a modem to access the internet with an RAX50?"

The answer is in the manual.

Earlier on you wrote "if it doesn’t offer that facility and only fast Wi-Fi, is it the right solution for me". This suggests that you think that routers should also be modems.

You repeated that notion here:

@trixtri wrote:

I think this is a deal breaker, as there is no point in me spending another £100 on a Modem (suggestion by amazon) as a companion to the RAX50 which i had hoped would be self-sufficient, so my bad I think.

As you now seem to admit, that was the first mistake. The RAX50 is not intended to be self-sufficient.

This conversation could have been a lot shorter, and completed much more quickly, if we'd had answers to the original questions about where your Internet came from, the equipment. But I can now see that you did not answer because you didn't understand why people were asking for that information.

A second hand DSL modem might be a good idea, if, thatis, your ISP uses DSL.

The ideal DSL modem from Netgear is the DM200.

The bad news is that Netgear, and most other brands, seem to have abandoned the market for DSL modem-only devices. Maybe ISPs are leaning on them in the way that they have for cable modems.

If you can lay your hands on something like the DM200, that would be a good choice. But the prices are getting silly. You may be able to find a second-hand one. I bought one from one of those "open box" merchants. It looked new, with all the usual packing and protection.

Netgear does sell modem/routers that you can run in modem-only mode, the D6400 for example, but, as I found, that can cause problems.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7