× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk raxe500 is not checking for updates

Ray65
Aspirant

nighthawk raxe500 is not checking for updates

1st off, I am a huge fan of Netgear products
I currently have Nighthawk RAXE500
which I have 2 questions

1st
I decided to check to see if there was any update for my router and it said there was
then it asked me if I want to download it and I said yes but nothing happened afterwards
so I tried to locate the download and could not find it so leads to my 1st question, where's the download, where did it put it
I decided to check again to see if I can duplicate the process and it said there was no updates. So this is confusing

2nd Why didn't the router notify me in any way that there was an update available

I actually had to go to the website and download the update myself and then tell the router where it was at and everything went fine

So the question would be what happened to the 1st and 2nd problems here

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: nighthawk raxe500 is not checking for updates

I've never been a fan of the auto-update process. When we see issue with corrupt firmware, it was either done using the auto-update process or over wireless. 

I'd probably be a bit happy it didn't work that time. 

Message 2 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@Ray65 wrote:

which I have 2 questions

1st
I decided to check to see if there was any update for my router and it said there was
then it asked me if I want to download it and I said yes but nothing happened afterwards
so I tried to locate the download and could not find it so leads to my 1st question, where's the download, where did it put it
I decided to check again to see if I can duplicate the process and it said there was no updates. So this is confusing

2nd Why didn't the router notify me in any way that there was an update available

I actually had to go to the website and download the update myself and then tell the router where it was at and everything went fine

Experienced Netgear users, and the primary reason they are called experienced users; do two things, a) turn off automatic firmware updates, and b) manually install firmware updates using a real computer and web browser connected directly to the router via an Ethernet cable.  Lessons learned from my own and bad experiences by others.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes NG doesn't put new FW releases up on there AU servers. May roll them out at a later date or depending on how well users experience new FW that gets posted on there manual download site. Nothing to be too worried about.

As others mention, it's preferred to manually update your self. Your in control of what gets loaded. 

@Ray65 wrote:

which I have 2 questions

1st

Message 4 of 8
Ray65
Aspirant

Well that's pretty much what I have been doing. I just want to know what happened and why it doesn't do what it's supposed to

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is it connected to? I've seen double nats cause update issues

Message 6 of 8
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Ray65 ,

What's firmware version do you use ?

Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
Ray65
Aspirant

Firmware Version V1.0.12.96_2.0.45