× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ping and remote desktop on LAN Model RAX70

xSigoff
Aspirant

ping and remote desktop on LAN Model RAX70

I am trying to set up remote desktop (WINv10) on my LAN but I can't even ping between computers. Clicking Attached Devices never resolves any devices on my network, either. It just sits there and spins. Any suggestions?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: ping and remote desktop on LAN Model RAX70

Is your computer setup in windows with a private connection or public? 

What error do you get when you ping the computers?

What modem/gateway is the router connected to?

Message 2 of 4
xSigoff
Aspirant

1. private, that is to say on my lan.

2. I get not response, that is to say the name resolves, but then the pings time out.  This a clue and I am going back into that computer to make sure (again) that there is no third party firewall set up that I missed. It is windows 10 and I need to "peek behind the curtain".

3. It is my cable modem, but that is irrelevant.  I am talking about connections on my gigabit-copper lan that do not pass out through the gateway. None of this goes out the gateway. I am trying to remote desktop from one local computer to another.

Message 3 of 4

@xSigoff wrote:

3. It is my cable modem, but that is irrelevant. 

The gateway and router are connected. They talk to each other.

You might be surprised how many people have turned up here thinking that their modem is "irrelevant" only to discover that this is by no means the case.

It takes a few seconds to tell people what that modem is – make and model – so that they can eliminate it from their thinking.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7