× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

3500 sq ft home coverage with the new RS700

AGarcia99
Aspirant

3500 sq ft home coverage with the new RS700

I am planning on purchasing the best wireless routing equipment I can find to us with my Charter Spectrum service, since I have had serious issues with the wireless router I rent from them.  My home is a 3200 square foot home with at least 6 streaming TVs and 5 additional wireless devices.  Optionally, I would like to have wireless capability in my backyard.  Would you recommend the new Nighthawk RS700 or any of the Orbi Mesh systems?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 3500 sq ft home coverage with the new RS700

Since the RS hasn't released to the public yet. There's little or no experiences out there yet to give you feedback on the RS700. 

The RS and other Orbi systems are intended for inside or indoor use. With some coverage out doors say anywhere from 10-20 feet beyond the building exterior walls based on building materials as well. 

For that size of home a Orbi 7,8 or 9 series would work with the main router and just 1 RBS. I have a 5000sq ft home and can get away with 1 RBS with power set to full strength. If I run two RBS which I do, I turn down the power to 25% most of the time. 

You can have too much wifi as well: https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

Placement and distances of any MESH system is key. What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 2 of 8

@AGarcia99 wrote:

My home is a 3200 square foot home with at least 6 streaming TVs and 5 additional wireless devices. 

Try plugging your details into these places.

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

You don't say how fast the Internet connection is. Might be a useful  extra detail. Lots of streaming there, especially if they are all running at the same time.

Message 3 of 8
AGarcia99
Aspirant

Forgot to mention that it's a 2 story home running on an internet connection of 500m speed. Thinking about increasing to 1g.
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would first try a Orbi 7 or 8 series. I have 1Gb here. Both work great. 

@AGarcia99 wrote:
Forgot to mention that it's a 2 story home running on an internet connection of 500m speed. Thinking about increasing to 1g.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

With 3200sq ft, I'd probably go with a mesh system. 

I have around that area and while a single flagship router can cover it, at the peripheral, the speeds drop quite a bit. 

You might not have the same peak speed out of a mesh solution (other than the RBKE963 series), you get a lot better coverage. 

And most devices don't need peak speed. That's for if you're moving massive data sets/backups/etc. Even streaming 4k only takes 25-40mbps. So if you have great coverage throughout, its better than spotty in areas. 

Message 6 of 8
leofrenchhehe
Aspirant

Hmm Agreed.

Message 7 of 8
cvssurvey
Aspirant

Compared to other brands like MI and Tp-Link routers, we get more durability on Net gears. I am totally impressed with their coverage and quality.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7