Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Building an extended home network with Netgear

jtajtajta
Aspirant

Building an extended home network with Netgear

Hi!
I tried but was not successful in finding information on how to extend my wifi home network with either MESH, extenders or secondary router(s). The key point is that my house has three floors and concrete structures are challenging for 2,4 and 5 GHz RF signals. So, my main wifi router only covers one part of the house, while there is no network connection in other parts.

I bought a Netgear LBR20 LTE router, which I use as my sole WAN connection. There is a 4G base station not too far, and I get a nice 150 Mbps download speed to the LBR20. I have ethernet cabling from the LBR20 location to a switch and from there to other parts of the house, so I can get a wired connection. 

If I want to extend my wifi coverage to other parts of the house, what would be the best way forward? If I understand this right, I could:

a) buy a cheap wifi router and connect it to the switch over fixed ethernet connection and set it up as an access point without routing (=bridge mode). Would this work with my LBR20?
b) buy MESH routers and extend my wifi coverage with them. But I have seen that the "MESH-master" should be configured to act as the DHCP server and main router in the network and the "MESH-slaves" are then just APs connecting to the master over either wifi or fixed ethernet.How should I configure my LBR20? 

When looking at MESH devices we have a bargain deal for two Orbi Pro AC3000. But will they work with my LBR20? 

And how should I connect my LBR20 to the next MESH device? Can I use fixed ethernet, or does the MESH devices need to use the backhaul link to connect to the main router?

All advice is greatly appreciated. 

PS: Of course I'd like the wifi in all locations have the same SSID and that I could roam seamlessly from one floor/location to another. 
PPS: What is the logic with Netgear model naming? My device is Netgear LBR20 Orbi 4G LTE Cat.18 WiFi but there is no such model in the top bar "Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)"

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Building an extended home network with Netgear

If you're hardwiring in, you can pickup some satellites to add to the lbr20. it can use the RBS10, RBS20, RBW30, RBS40, RBS40V, RBS50, RBS50Y

https://kb.netgear.com/000065169/Which-Orbi-routers-and-satellites-are-compatible

Sometimes its cheaper to snag a renewed kit or new kit like the rbk43 system and get the 2x satellites versus trying to buy them separate. (and then you have a backup router or a router you could sell to recoup some costs)

Message 2 of 4
jtajtajta
Aspirant

Thank you for the comment. Do you know if I can have mixed satellites? One would be hard wired over ethernet and the other wireless backhaul?

The Orbi LBR20 is still needed sine it is the only router connecting to the operator over the 4G/LTE. The RBK43 kit or other satellites are wifi + 802.3 (gigabit ethernet) only and need a modem or similar for the WAN connection. LBR20 would function in this role. Although I'm not sure if I can set it in a bridge mode. The AP setting is greyed out.

There are some threads about it on this forum but they somehow seem to always talk about bringing in the WAN over copper, fiber or other means and just provide a RJ45 connector to the MESH-master. So, I know really how if the LBR20 could be used with other MESH devices and how it should be configured. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Yes you can mix satellites between different satellites and between hardwired/wireless backhaul

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7