Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connection issues with a single device

janhillebrand
Aspirant

Connection issues with a single device

Hi,

I recently bought the AX4200 5G router on firmware v4.6.5.11_1.5.50 and one satellite running v4.6.5.14, which should be the latest available versions respectively to my knowledge. There are approx. 10 devices in my network, including TVs, smart phones, a PS5 and laptops. In general, I'm enjoying fast connection speed without any issues on all devices.

However, my MacBook Pro (16", 2021) keeps running into connection issues, although they are not constant. When the issues occur, it connects to the wifi and also gets an IP address without any problems, but doesn't have internet access. I cannot connect to the router's web interface from the laptop by entering its IP in the browser either. Nevertheless, I can stream 4K movies on any of my other devices at the same time, so there definitely is an internet connection and the DHCP, etc. seem to work fine for the other devices. Also, when I disconnect my MacBook from the router and hotspot it through a phone, I instantly get a flawless connection. Furthermore, I don't have this kind of issue with my laptop on any other wifi that I frequently hook up to, e.g. at the office, restaurants, etc. The laptop's located approx. 1.5 metres from the router.

I have already tried different solutions without success, including:

• Restarting the laptop
  • Deleting the wifi profile from the laptop's network list and re-connecting
  • Restarting the router and the satellite
  • Moving the laptop to different locations in the house

I have been using the computer the past approx. two weeks without incidents, including for data-heavy videoconferencing, downloading hundreds of GB of data, etc. Then, suddenly, it doesn't connect from one minute to the other. I was on a video call and as I hopped off to join another, I couldn't. So, I wasn't meddling with the settings or changing anything on the laptop itself.

A few additional notes:

• I used the Terminal on my MacBook and on a phone to ping different devices on the network, with the phone directly next to the laptop. From the laptop, when pinging the router, the phone, or the PS5, approx. a third of packages were timed out. When pining from the phone, on the other hand, I got stable and fast pings from the router and the PS5 but not the laptop. Pinging the MacBook from the phone, it would take up to 17s for a single ping, albeit no packages were lost or timed out. You can see the laptop and the phone pinging the router, respectively, in the PDF attached (page 1 laptop, page 2 phone).
  • On the PS5, I do infrequently get a message telling me that wifi connection is lost. I'm unsure why this is, and it certainly is annoying, but because it restores instantly without me taking any further action, I've seen it as a minor nuisance so far. Potentially, it could be related.

The first time I faced this issue and it persisted for several hours, the only way I managed to fix this issue was by re-installing the router from scratch. This was about two weeks ago and afterwards, everything worked well. But now the issue has returned and I can't seem to be able to fix it. Of course, I don't see myself re-installing the router every two weeks.

Any advice? Any further tests I could run? This is very frustrating, as I am working more than 50% from my home office and investing into this 5G router was supposed to replace the more expensive fibre optics connection. Otherwise, I could've bought a router 25% of the price. I'm certain the 5G connection in my area isn't the issue, since all other devices work without problems and delays at the exact same time the laptop doesn't (plus, monitoring the speed over several weeks, on average the downlink's consistently above 300 Mbit/s). Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connection issues with a single device

So what model modem do you have? Is this a Orbi NBK750 series? 

If you turn OFF the RBS, does the Mac Book still exhibit problems? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What OSX is on the Mac Book? I use Monterey and Ventura on my Mac Book Pro 2018. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 2 of 6
janhillebrand
Aspirant

Hi,

I appreciate your feedback. The router itself is the modem, since it is a 5G router, hence no cable necessary. I'm on MacOs Monterey 12.6. I'm not sure how the size of my apartment matters if the router is 1.5m/5 ft away from my laptop with no walls or other obstructions in between. At any rate, the satellite is about 10m/30ft away from the router. All the other devices, both those connected to the satellite and router, have very good connection speed, independently of their location. Any further ideas? Thanks.

Cheers,

Jan

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

So what model modem do you have? Is this a Orbi NBK750 series? 

If you turn OFF the RBS, does the Mac Book still exhibit problems? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 4 of 6
janhillebrand
Aspirant

Indeed, it's the NBK752. Today, the laptop's working again without me changing anything. Thanks for pointing me to the issue of overlapping networks. There are quite a few in the area. I'm attaching an overview. Strange, nonetheless, because my phone even when placed right next to the laptop would work just fine on wifi and I would have expected it to experience similar connectivity issues if destructive signal interference was the cause. Plus, the laptop continued having them, even when placed at a different location.

I have now changed the 5GHz to channel 48. The optimum would probably be those channels that my router doesn't support (>=52, >=112). For 2GHz is was unsure which to choose - it is on Auto. What would you recommend based on the data in the PDF attached (my network is CHill)? Why is my max. data rate lower than some of the other networks?

Thanks a bunch for your support.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would look at the spec sheet for your wifi device that your using to scan with. 

I would keep the channels with what the system has set. I see you have channels 12 and 13. These should work. Might try channel 11 later on if needed. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7