Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I just bought a orbi nbk752 router and 2 satellites

melissahartman
Aspirant

I just bought a orbi nbk752 router and 2 satellites

yes i just bought a orbi nbk752 router and 2 satellites and again like so many when i didn the firmware update it ruined everything my whole house is dealing with the constant dropping of signal and no it's not the internet because att cell towers are not far from my house it's the firmware and yet of course it's corrupted and nothing has been done to patch it
got may 8th 23 and man it was phenomenal working amazing everyone was so exited and happy and the the firmware update came and problems after problems and also as you can't do anything to go back to where it started and factory resets so many times tech support constantly and then monday they say it's the internet when it's NOT i made sure to check before we dropped 1500.00 plus and so i ordered a new sim card but honestly it's their system and it needs to be replaced period this is not how you treat customers who has paid hefty amounts of money and if it wasn't for us people wouldn't be in business as is the consumers
since 11 am today my system has constantly dropping
but like i said when i first got it was blown away

so this was my speed last night and this is how awesome the numbers are when my system isn't dropping constantly

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@melissahartman wrote:

you can't do anything to go back to where it started

There have been several firmware releases for this product.  See this page and click the "+" sign to display them:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/nbk752#download The process of manually updating (or "de-updating") is explained on page 81 of the User Manual:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBK752_UM_EN.pdf 

More recent versions of Orbi AX systems have a setting to prevent the router from updating automatically.  That option might be found on the Firmware Update web screen.

(Just personally, I would not be a "Happy Camper" if support told me to "wait for new firmware" until my 90 days of "complimentary support" ran out and they refused to talk to me any more.)

Message 3 of 10
melissahartman
Aspirant

i have done the factory reset on the router and satellites, i do not have a modem? mine is used with a sim card..  i do not have a nighthawk router.

i have done so many resets however i will try what you have mentioned.. if i clear and start from scratch which i have done and my email is connected to all the netgear items orbi and the app plus my tech support for a year along with my armor.. I have done the whole from scratch thing and that is when my netgear armor subscription that i paid for at check out got all screwed up. 

So what should i do about that? 

sq ft 3000 so. my orbi system will do 7000 sq ft total 

25 ft from satelite number 1 sitting behind my computer

approx 40 to 50 ft from router down the stairs to our sons bedroom basement

our house is brick a ranch style family owned home built 1979

so since we were having so many issues we thought about using ethernet cables and we did that both satelites are now connected by that cause i thought it would help. but at this moment i don't know what it right from wrong.. i didn't know you were supposed to do the updates with a computer connected with an ethernet to router.. 

Message 4 of 10
melissahartman
Aspirant

i will try that.. honestly like i just said to fuzzy i don't know what way is the right way this has mad me so frustrated and very very mad.. it was amazing and then poof fell apart. i am going to try to get it back to the original firmware. I was not aware to do the update with a computer connected by ethernet cord to router.

guess what i paid extra for a years support i wanted to be safe.. but honestly this is just a nightmare now after.. i was told it was the internet my sim card.. but just so they will see it's not that, it's the system.. 

i am going to try what you each of you suggested .

Melissa Hartman

trust me i love my orbi to if i can get it fixed like the amazing thing it was when i got it.. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser for now. Do not use Orbi app or enable Armor. Will check on this later on. 

25ft is too close between the one RBS and RBR. 30 feet or more. Might move it farther out.

For 3000 sq ft, you might reduce the RBS by one. I have a 5000sq ft home and can get away with one RBS. 

Or turn down the power on the RBR to 50% with two RBS connected: Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 6 of 10
MPP55
Guide

Rif.: I just bought a orbi nbk752 router and 2 satellites

The same happened to me for a very simple reason: NBR750 latest firmware (4.6.5.11_1.5.66) and RBS750 latest firmware (4.6.14.3) are not compatible, period…

I had to connect to my three satellites using their IP and a browser and I reverted to the latest working firmware, 4.6.5.14.

This has been confirmed by Netgear support in my country.

They should put an advice on the support website for the NBK752 system!

Message 7 of 10
melissahartman
Aspirant

yes they finally reverted me back to the original firmware becaise higher level of tech support paul that i worked with said the same thing that it is th e firmware and he redid my system and working great and then this morning right back to the not working due to their updates in the middle of the night and again

they know it's a firmware issue and don't do anything to fix it...

now it is on and off and on and off same thing again

now i did a support ticket and said the exact thing and what was told to me

if it's not compatible then they need ti fix it

i don't know what and how to keep it from updating

what can i do to keep from it doing any updates
Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Something I recommend you do if your still in contact the the support person at NG, Give them the serial number of the RBS or both RBS and NBR. Ask them to put these serial numbers in there AU system and block them. 

Seems that there maybe a FW version disparage between the NBR and RBS where the version are too far apart and the newer FW version on the RBS maybe not compatible with the current version of NBR FW. 

Hoping they can block the AU update on the RBS so you can keep the compatible RBS FW that works loaded. 

I would turn off the RBS for now until you hear back from NG on this. Just run the NBR for now.

I've asked NG to review this as well.

@melissahartman 

Message 9 of 10
banhamm
Guide

If you search for version 4.6.5.14 for the RBS750 in the support knowledge base, you’ll find a zip file for this software which, once loaded will allow the satellite to be viewed in the orbi app and the web interface when using it with the NBR750.

Here's the link:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBS750-V4.6.5.14.zip?_ga=2.241812226.1867458235.1...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7