Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LBR20 Firmware Manual Update --> is internet required to complete?

curiosity175
Tutor

LBR20 Firmware Manual Update --> is internet required to complete?

I updated LBR20 to 2.6.5.32 today and thought I'd bricked it...

Can someone who knows confirm whether the manual firmware install requires an internet connection to complete?  

I did a manual install from a file on my computer over a wired connection precisely because my cellular connection is unreliable.  After waiting more than 1 hour on the firmware update admin page, I finally gave up and logged out.  Obri acted like a brick and afterwards and I could not connect to the admin panel.  Not a happy experience.  I finally hauled Orbi outside to give it one more shot with the best possible bandwidth.  Then I was able to access the admin panel and was rewarded with a success message on the update. (Whew, not a brick after all.)

My guess is that Orbi can't finish the manual install without an internet connection.  If this is correct, that's not a good thing because cellular bandwidth can't be relied upon in rural areas.  I'd like to know so I can make certain to do any future upgrades in the middle of the night when the bandwidth is better.

Message 1 of 3
Always_Learning
Aspirant

Re: LBR20 Firmware Manual Update --> is internet required to complete?

My best guess is that the LBR20 needs to connect to Netgear to shake hands and Verify Firmware Update went through. 

Message 2 of 3
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: LBR20 Firmware Manual Update --> is internet required to complete?

Hello curiosity175,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you would more information on the manual update process for your LBR20.

Please navigate to the link below for a step-by-step guide on how to update your LBR20:
For more information on manually updating your LBR20 please navigate to the link below:
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7