Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LBR20, I think my nat type is strict and i dont know how to fix it

Jakoee
Aspirant

LBR20, I think my nat type is strict and i dont know how to fix it

Have the orbi LBR20, wifi connection is terrible to all devices except my Nintendo switch which is mediocre at best. When I try to connect to a Minecraft server, it usually lets me in for about 5 minutes at most then kicks me, says 'internal exception java.net.socketexception connection reset'. I think it might just be the NAT type, which i figured out is set to strict, but I don't know how to change that. Help please? Its greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: LBR20, I think my nat type is strict and i dont know how to fix it

My sense is that there may be two completely different issues.

@Jakoee wrote:

wifi connection is terrible to all devices except my Nintendo switch which is mediocre at best.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Network Address Translation (NAT).  It would help to know more about which connection is being described:

• Do devices within the home complain that the WiFi signal strength is too low? (few bars? slow speed?)  This typically shows up on some sort of Network Settings display.
  • Or, is it the cellular LTE connection with the network provider?  Perhaps the router is not getting a strong signal from the radio tower.  Is it located near an exterior wall? The LBR20 includes two connections for an external LTE antennas which should boost the LTE signal strength.  Might be useful to check page 145 of the LBR20 user manual.
    https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/LBR20/Orbi_LBR20_UM_EN.pdf 

The default condition for Netgear routers is strict NAT.  Every device on the LAN is hidden behind NAT.  Minecraft is one of those situations where the customer is advised to forward specific ports through the router to their local machine in order to play specific games.  This might be a good starting point: https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/how-to-port-forward-a-minecraft-server 

Message 2 of 3
Jakoee
Aspirant

Re: LBR20, I think my nat type is strict and i dont know how to fix it

Yes, all of the devices in my home have slow internet speeds. Even my PC, which is connected via ethernet cable to the orbi, is noticeably slower than I think it should be. I checked the cellular data connection on the configuration page and I had 5 bars. Added one antenna to see if it might help, just in case. Is there any way to change the overall NAT type to open? I am pretty sure that's causing at least some of my issues. I also already tried to port forward Minecraft, but I'm not entirely sure if I have to port forward Minecraft, the MC server, or my PC. I have found many different guides and they all say the same thing. Also, it is not my server, it is a friends, if that information is useful at all. Any other info that might help? Thank you for the quick response.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7