Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi LBR20 Failover with Router

burrington
Star

Orbi LBR20 Failover with Router

I have an Orbi LBR20 that I want to use as a failover to LTE when my DSL modem goes down. I want to keep my R7000 router as the main DHCP router for WiFi and LAN. It's already set up, has great coverage, enough ports, etc so I don't want to switch everything to the Orbi. I want the Orbi to be strictly the failover selector. I set up the orbi and connected to LTE and the DSL fine, but its ip address conflicts with the R7000. The R7000 detected that conflict and changed everything from 192.168.1.x to 10.0.0.x (or something close to that) so none of my static ip devices worked any more. I tried to change the ip address of the Orbi, but then it would let me login and I had to do a factory reset to gain access again.

How can I set up the Orbi to avoid that conflict?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
burrington
Star

Re: Orbi LBR20 Failover with Router

Update: After some testing, I found that the ORBI did not have nearly the wireless coverage (by itself with no satellites) as my existing R7000 Router. So I recreated all my R7000 settings in the ORBI and put it in control of the network. And switched the R7000 to an Access Point using the wizzard button. I'm not using the Orbi's wireless, but could not figure out how to turn it off, so I just turned it down to 25% power. As per the manual, the R7000's Internet jack (NOT a LAN jack) is connected to the Orbi's LAN jack. Everything is working great now. I still have my full WiFi coverage provided by the R7000, and the Orbi is providing failover switching between the DSL landline modem and the internal Cellular LTE modem.

Re failover switching: The DSL internet feed has to be down for 3 minutes before Orbi switches to LTE, then another 25 seconds to connect and have active internet again. Then the landline has to be back up for 1 minute before Orbi switches back to it again, plus 25 seconds to connect and have active internet. That's not as fast as I would like it to switch, but its probably to keep it from switching rapidly back and forth on a poor connection.

All in all, I'm very happy with the setup.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
burrington
Star

Sorry, I meant: "I tried to change the ip address of the Orbi, but then it would NOT let me login and I had to do a factory reset to gain access again."

Message 2 of 3
burrington
Star

Update: After some testing, I found that the ORBI did not have nearly the wireless coverage (by itself with no satellites) as my existing R7000 Router. So I recreated all my R7000 settings in the ORBI and put it in control of the network. And switched the R7000 to an Access Point using the wizzard button. I'm not using the Orbi's wireless, but could not figure out how to turn it off, so I just turned it down to 25% power. As per the manual, the R7000's Internet jack (NOT a LAN jack) is connected to the Orbi's LAN jack. Everything is working great now. I still have my full WiFi coverage provided by the R7000, and the Orbi is providing failover switching between the DSL landline modem and the internal Cellular LTE modem.

Re failover switching: The DSL internet feed has to be down for 3 minutes before Orbi switches to LTE, then another 25 seconds to connect and have active internet again. Then the landline has to be back up for 1 minute before Orbi switches back to it again, plus 25 seconds to connect and have active internet. That's not as fast as I would like it to switch, but its probably to keep it from switching rapidly back and forth on a poor connection.

All in all, I'm very happy with the setup.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7