Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2 security questions for RBK852

donawalt
Virtuoso

2 security questions for RBK852

I have 2 questions related to security, just trying to tighten up my home network, Orbi RBK852.

1) I have disabled UPnP, no one does any gaming to servers which is all I have found that licitly uses it. I am worried that I will mess something up on the network, it appears TV streaming over the internet still works fine. Are there any other uses for router UPnP, that I should consider for leaving UPnP on? I remember thinking about this awhile ago and deciding to leave it on, and now I can't remember why lol. I don't have any servers on the network or need any port forwarding, if that is a concern.

2) Is there a way to disable WPS? I didn't see it in the router web page but I may have missed it.

Thank you for your help!

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 2 security questions for RBK852

@donawalt wrote:

I have 2 questions related to security, just trying to tighten up my home network, Orbi RBK852.

1) I have disabled UPnP, no one does any gaming to servers which is all I have found that licitly uses it. I am worried that I will mess something up on the network, it appears TV streaming over the internet still works fine. Are there any other uses for router UPnP, that I should consider for leaving UPnP on? I remember thinking about this awhile ago and deciding to leave it on, and now I can't remember why lol. I don't have any servers on the network or need any port forwarding, if that is a concern.

If ALL of your devices, apps and online internet services work, then you can leave uPnP disabled. If you do happen to encounter something where it's not connecting correctly thru the Orbi system or to a online internset service, i.e. gaming mostly, however maybe other applications or devices that need some form of port forwarding, then you'll either need to enable uPnP or configured a manual Port Foward configuration for the device or application that needs some form of port configuration. 

2) Is there a way to disable WPS? I didn't see it in the router web page but I may have missed it.

No.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 2 security questions for RBK852

@donawalt wrote:

If ALL of your devices, apps and online internet services work, then you can leave uPnP disabled. If you do happen to encounter something where it's not connecting correctly thru the Orbi system or to a online internset service, i.e. gaming mostly, however maybe other applications or devices that need some form of port forwarding, then you'll either need to enable uPnP or configured a manual Port Foward configuration for the device or application that needs some form of port configuration. 

No.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7