Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5 GHz blistering fast - 2.4 GHz extremely slow

Ramboost2000
Aspirant

5 GHz blistering fast - 2.4 GHz extremely slow

Hi all

I have en RBR850 and two RBS850 satellites. When I move around the house with my phone and change connection from one access point to another, the phone always connect at 2.4 ghz at first and then after a period of time usually shifts to 5 ghz. I have tried with another phone with the exact same behavior.

I have no idea whether this behavior is by design? I would have thought it should connect to 5 ghz immediately to a new access point if this was the best option. But it is always 2.4 ghz regardless if I am standing right next to the access point.

I guess the above would not be a problem if my 2.4 ghz was performing well. But it isn’t. I get download speeds at around 20-40 mbps on my 500 mbps internet connection. When I am connected on 5 ghz I get full speed.

I have tried every 2.4 channel but this are the same on every channel. I live in a house with some proximity to neighbours and are not generally disturbed by other people’s WiFi (I think).

So my question is twofold:
1) Can I force my devices to connect via 5 ghz? I know I can turn down the signal strength on 2.4 ghz but this is not a preferred workaround as I need a strong 2.4 ghz signal when I move around my garden and have some distance to my access point.

2) What possible reasons could be for my extremely slow 2.4 ghz connection?

Hoping for some good inputs. Thanks in advance😊

/Ramboost
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: 5 GHz blistering fast - 2.4 GHz extremely slow

So my question is twofold:
1) Can I force my devices to connect via 5 ghz? I know I can turn down the signal strength on 2.4 ghz but this is not a preferred workaround as I need a strong 2.4 ghz signal when I move around my garden and have some distance to my access point.----No, orbi is designed for bandsteering. I don't have the orbi AX series but with my AC orbi's after a few days, the orbi devices learn which device needs which band. the first few days it tends to automatically put devices on the 2.4ghz and switch them to 5ghz. After the adjustment period, some devices will automatically go to 5ghz. But it takes a little time to settle. Again, this was with my AC system. Not the AX

2) What possible reasons could be for my extremely slow 2.4 ghz connection?-----Because its how 2.4ghz is. 2.4ghz is much slower but broadcasts further and through more materials. its the whole reason for 5ghz....more bandwidth. Plus its more sensitive to interference because it has less channels available. My AC system (and other's I've used) is. If you live in a rural environment without any interference, you potentially can see faster speeds. But in an environment with multiple wireless signals present, its much slower than 5ghz. 

Hoping for some good inputs. Thanks in advance😊

/Ramboost

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7