Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ADD CAN YOU ADD RBS50 SATELLITE TO RBK752

Gitts
Follower

ADD CAN YOU ADD RBS50 SATELLITE TO RBK752

I am looking at the Orbi AX4200 (RBK752) and was wondering if required in the future could I add an additional RBS50 satellite? Also what would the performance implication be as the RBS50 is wifi5?

Message 1 of 11
CallPaul
Apprentice

You can add a RBS50 to a RBK852 but only wired backhaul, it won't connect using wifi and it will only use a AC connection no AX. They were supposed to add the ability to wifi backhaul together but I don't think it's been implemented yet. I'd  think the RBK752 would work the same way.

Message 2 of 11
Jonnybunker
Guide

I am also getting the RBK753 today, and currently have an RBR50, RBS50, and W30 Wallunit.

I was hoping to setup my 3 AX4200 throuhgout the house and use one of the RBS50 or W30 either in the garage or another location.

Would i only be able to connect the RBS50, by physically connecting it to a live ethernet port in the house? I have an extra port that i can do this, but not necessairly in the most convenient location.

Thanks! 

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, RBS50s can be ethernet connected only to the Orbi AX system. Wireless is still not compatible at this time. 

@Jonnybunker wrote:

I am also getting the RBK753 today, and currently have an RBR50, RBS50, and W30 Wallunit.

I was hoping to setup my 3 AX4200 throuhgout the house and use one of the RBS50 or W30 either in the garage or another location.

Would i only be able to connect the RBS50, by physically connecting it to a live ethernet port in the house? I have an extra port that i can do this, but not necessairly in the most convenient location.

Thanks! 

Message 4 of 11
Jonnybunker
Guide

Thanks for the quick reply - 

So i would want to keep the RBS50 to setup the Wired Backhaul, and then in hope that in a new firmware or update at somepoint, they may make the Wireless connectivity compatible between the AX and AC units at a later date, and if they did i could better place my system.

And the W30 unit, would be rendered useless until they do allow for wireless connectivity between the AX and AC units - 

Okay, I think I will sell the RBR50 and the W30, appreciate the help and let me incorrect in any of my thinking.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would keep the RBR50 for back up in case something happens or keep it and test the Orbi AX system out first before letting the RBR50 go. 

Message 6 of 11
Jonnybunker
Guide

Okay thanks again, and I couldnt remmeber, does the RBR50 have the ability to be setup as a satellite , or does it only work as a main Router?

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

RBRs only work in router or AP mode. Can't operate like RBS. 

Message 8 of 11
Chuck_M
Mentor

I use two RBS50s with my RBR850 and RBS850.   The RBS850 is wireless backhaul and the two RBS-50s are wired.

Only thing to think about is that the RBR850 will not manage the firmware properly in the RBS50's -- so you will have to manually check, download and install any available firmware upgrades (currently at V.16)

Obviously the RBS50s will not have AX capability... but otherwise work just fine.

Message 9 of 11
Jonnybunker
Guide

Okay got everything setup and speeds are great so far and the coverage is much improved from what I had before.

I have the RBK753 with 1 on each floor right now but was considering using my RBS50 in one spot where I could backhaul and gain some coverage. Would the entire MESH no longer be able to use AX connection or only specific devices that ended up connecting to the RBS50. Sorry if that is a dumb questions and I appreciate your help
Message 10 of 11
Chuck_M
Mentor

Just the devices connected to the non-AX satellites lose AX capability.  All other portions of the mesh will be fine.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7