Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX4200 RBS750 satellite blocking Internet

AX4200 RBS750 satellite blocking Internet

I use Spectrum, using an Arris modem/router where I had previously eliminated any potential use of it as a Wi-Fi router, and also eliminated any potential for a dual-Nat situation on my previous Orbi system. Recently, I replaced that existing Orbi system (had been in place 3.5 years) because a satellite had died and I decided an upgrade was in order. Purchased the RBR750 with two RBS750 satellites. I placed one satellite in the front of my house, where it served a bedroom, a front living room (with TV, soundbar, media player, Hue lighting, Ring, a controller for Rachio landscape sprinklers, garage door opener, etc..and an office. Everything worked great. 

The problem was with the second satellite. I placed this in my den, to service other bedrooms, the kitchen and the patio area. I placed it in the exact same position as the previous Orbi satellite it had replaced. Every item: TV, media player, receiver, iphones, android devices, Hue base, Amazon Echo, all were being blocked. No Internet access. I unplugged it and they all connected to the base RBR750. Plugged back in the RBS750 satellite. All blocked.

I thought, "Hmm? Could it maybe be the channel?" So, I changed the channel from 48 to 44. Everything in the rest of the house still worked great, but everything off this satellite was still being blocked, unless I unplugged it. So... the next thing I tried was to unplug it and unplug the one in the front of the house and swap them out. What happened is what you probably guessed, already. Everything in the front of the hjouse was blocked, and everything in the back of the house worked fine. As soon as I unplugged the RBS750 satellite in the front, everything in the front worked great, as it all connected to the base RBR750. 

So, at the moment, everything works well, but I'm sitting here with an RBS750 that I paid for that does not work. In fact, it counter-works, by causing interference to the point that Wi-Fi is blocked by it. 

Now, if there are recommendations to fix it, fine, but shouldn't this work right out of the box like the other two items did? Why should I jump through hoops to try and spend my precious time fixing something that Netgear should take care of (like...send me a replacement satellite and me not have to box up all three items and return to Costco for a replacement of the entire system)?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Does swapping RBS locations with the other continue to follow with the 2nd RBS? 

Message 2 of 4

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded? V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 4000 sq.ft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Straight line approx. 42' for one and 32' for the other. This is not an issue as when the "problem" satellite was the furthest distance, it exhibited the same problem as when it was at the shortest distance.

Does swapping RBS locations with the other continue to follow with the 2nd RBS? I have no idea what you are asking.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Does swapping RBS locations with the other continue to follow with the 2nd RBS? 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn OFF both RBS then swap locations with each other. Power ON the 2nd RBS that you swapped around. Leave the other RBS OFF. Test the connection thru this 1 RBS...Does it still exhibit the problem with different devices? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7