Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX6000 + RBS50 Satellite's?

dstrausser83
Guide

AX6000 + RBS50 Satellite's?

I'm seeing mixed messages here. Netgear tell me they won't work but I swear I've seen some posts that say they do work.... and the Orbi page says the routers are backwards compatible....

I basically have a 3 point AC3000 system. I bought the new AX6000 pair and wanted to use the existing satellites as extra points further away from the router, like outside, the basement, etc. 

Can I use the RBS50's with this? Or am I outta luck?

BTW - Performance with just two of these are much better than we had with the AC3000 system. I get 500mbps+ every where in the house, just not outside right now.

Thanks!
David

Message 1 of 21
ekhalil
Master

Currently you can connect the RBS50 satellites wired (wired backhaul) to Orbi AX. Wireless backhaul support will come later.
Message 2 of 21
Chuck_M
Mentor

The proof is in the pudding... look at this screen capture attached.

Notice the RBS850 is RF backhauled and the RBS50s (two of them) are hard wired.  Works great.

Message 3 of 21
dstrausser83
Guide

Dang, I just sold them on Ebay but perhaps I can cancel it... my issue is I wasn't able to get it to pair while wired also it seems... Does it do it automatically or do I have to still pair them? Just connect the Ethernet and it is connected? When I did that the light was blue but I didn't check the app to see if it was recognized.... Interesting, perhaps I will keep it then if that's the case.

Message 4 of 21
Chuck_M
Mentor

They pair automatically when wired.  You dont have to do anything other than plug in.

Message 5 of 21
dstrausser83
Guide

Perfect. Just tested. Cancelling the Ebay sale. $200 for 3 AC3000s way too low anyways. Has anybody tried using a wireless Ethernet adapter to plus into the adapter to get it to work or does it have to be truly wired? Thank you so much!!
Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS50s have to be LAN wire connected to the RBR850 to have them work. Again, they will only be working in AP mode configuration untill NG makes them compatible wirelessly on the wireless back haul. 

No time frame when that is forthcoming. 

@dstrausser83 wrote:
Perfect. Just tested. Cancelling the Ebay sale. $200 for 3 AC3000s way too low anyways. Has anybody tried using a wireless Ethernet adapter to plus into the adapter to get it to work or does it have to be truly wired? Thank you so much!!

Message 7 of 21
dstrausser83
Guide

One other final question.... The RBR50. Am I able to convert that to a satellite, wired? Or is that something that I should then sell because I'm only going to ever be able to use as a Router, not a satellite.

Thank you all so much!!

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Orbi RBR can't work as a RBS. They only work in Router or AP mode. 

@dstrausser83 wrote:

One other final question.... The RBR50. Am I able to convert that to a satellite, wired? Or is that something that I should then sell because I'm only going to ever be able to use as a Router, not a satellite.

Thank you all so much!!

Message 9 of 21
dstrausser83
Guide

So what I am doing is grabbing a TP Link Powerline adapter. One end goes into the AX router and the other end will go into my RBS50... let's see if it works, otherwise I'm going to buy a ton of cabling 🙂 I'll update if that worked or not.

Thanks all!

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully that will work. I've heard others in the Orbi AC forum mentioning that power line adapters seem to work for them.

I would not recommend TP-Link however. Might see if NG has some or mabye D-Link. 

Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 21
dstrausser83
Guide

Thanks man. I chose the TP Link 1 Gbps adapter just to test as it is only $30. Feeling is I hook one up now with that until wireless backhaul is in full swing.... so considering I dont really need it since AX covers the whole home, this is just to extend it to our large, 1/2 backyard.... it is also temporary sinve I will want the wireless backhaul so I can hook both extender satellites up. Really dont care a huge amount about having WiFi 6 outside so AC3000 will be plenty enough for those moments and for the Arlos and Blinks we have deployed that are AC I believe.

I almoat switched to Velop but two key things had me stay, the possibility of backwards compatibility and ultimately its 2.5gbps for LAN instead of the cap that Velop has... now that I know I can use the RBS's, it has confirmed my decision especially given the the cost I endeared for the AC3000 when new.

Thanks again for all the help. Great community.
Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 

Message 13 of 21
dstrausser83
Guide

Sorry all, I had some extensive travel the past few weeks, but what I can definitively say is that the TP-Link 1 GBPS powerline adapter, does indeed work flawlessly. No issues at all.

One odd item has happened though that I've noticed is that whenever I look at my connected devices, it shows me that the Orbi Router is DISCONNECTED... but it does indeed have items connected to it wirelessly and wired. The satellite's both show online with no issues.

Thoughts on that?

Message 14 of 21
Chuck_M
Mentor

That's an interesting comment about it reporting as disconnected.

I have a similar phenomenon occur that only started happening after the latest firmware release.  Prior to that firmware, all connected devices were reporting accurately within the App and GUI.

Did this issue you are seeing just start happening with your new firmware release as well?

I would ask that you test the following to see if it is related to what I am seeing:

• Disconnect/power off all non RBR-850 satellites and reboot the router
  • Look at the connected devices (in both App and GUI) to see if they are reporting properly.
  • Reconnect non-rbr-850 extenders/satellites and see if it instantly changes the reporting status.

(When I did this process, my RBS-850 -- which is 5G backhaul -- began reporting as hard wired backhaul).

My theory is that the latest firmware release has broken the "connected device" reporting.

Look forward to your reply.

Message 15 of 21
dstrausser83
Guide

Perfect. I will test this out later tonight when I have the free time to turn off Internet and break this all down and troubleshoot it.

I was thinking that your theory was correct beforehand that the reporting mechanism is just broken and that is because the fact that it shows wired and wirless (both 5Ghz & 2.4Ghz) devices connected. Like the RBS50 shows as a wired device to the main AX router.

I have noticed something else interesting and that is that my Ring Pro connects to the RBS50 instead of connecting to the main AX6000 router. The RBS50 is like 50 feet away where as the AX router is only 4 feet away. Works fine, not complaining, but just odd.

Will update in a day or two... I was also thinking I'll wait until the next update to see if it's still broken like that.

Message 16 of 21
Sevo123
Apprentice

Ok so I have a Rbk853 ( 1rbr 2 rbs ) hardwired backhaul I also have 1 rbs50 which is hooked up hardwired backhaul. The problem is I'm right next to the rbs50 but everything will connect to the rbs850 even in far location it will use 2.4 and avoid the rbs50 2 feet away. This happens with all devices even ones with without wifi 6 support??? What is going on? Maybe Netgear was right they don’t work or work well together? Cant wait to purchase the rbs850 and switch this out
Message 17 of 21
Chuck_M
Mentor

Have you ever had anyone talk too loud to you when they are too close?  You cant understand what they are trying to say.

That may be what is going on in your case.  You can try and go into advanced and wireless settings and turn down the power output to see if that will allow the close device to connect.

Message 18 of 21
Sevo123
Apprentice

1) everything used to connect to the old rbs 50 when my rbk53 was installed.

2) I have devices that are further out about 10ft and 20ft and more from this rbs50 with no other satellites near by.

3) I checked everywhere with Netgear support they are saying the rbs 50 will not work with the rbk853 unit... ( but Idno if I believe them)

4) I lowered down the power level as you stated and nothing changed.

Message 19 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

NG has NOT officially made RBS50s FULLY COMPATIBLE with Orbi AX. RBS50s will not sync to the Orbi AX system! Though wired RBS50s should work ok, some have been tracking a problem in recent FW versions of the RBS50 seeing a "disconnect" message in the RBR850's connected clients page. 

If you have the RBK853 system, I would ditch the RBS50 until NG makes them fully compatible. So far there is no timeframe when this might happen. 

Message 20 of 21
Chuck_M
Mentor

What firmware is in the RBS50?  I have two hard wired to my RBR850 and it works well.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7