Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding Orbi Voice to AX4200 / RBK753S Mesh Network

Invisithorne
Follower

Adding Orbi Voice to AX4200 / RBK753S Mesh Network

I currently have a a Netgear AX4200 / RBK753S Mesh Network. I was thinking of adding the Orbi Voice Satellite to my network in order to improve coverage in my basement (and add a speaker at the same time). From everything that I've read, the Orbi Voice Satellite isn't as fast as my existing network and adding it will slow down wifi speeds across all devices. Is this correct? Is it worth doing? Thanks in advance for any guidance! 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Adding Orbi Voice to AX4200 / RBK753S Mesh Network

SInce Orbi AC RBS are not wirelessly compatible with Orbi AX, you can connect the RBS40v to the Orbi AX via ethernet and use it that way. Speed would not be a factor in this configuration. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

SInce Orbi AC RBS are not wirelessly compatible with Orbi AX, you can connect the RBS40v to the Orbi AX via ethernet and use it that way. Speed would not be a factor in this configuration. 

Message 2 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

@Invisithorne wrote:

I currently have a a Netgear AX4200 / RBK753S Mesh Network. I was thinking of adding the Orbi Voice Satellite to my network in order to improve coverage in my basement (and add a speaker at the same time). From everything that I've read, the Orbi Voice Satellite isn't as fast as my existing network and adding it will slow down wifi speeds across all devices. Is this correct? Is it worth doing? Thanks in advance for any guidance! 

See if this works:

It cannot connect in Orbi mode so changed it to Extender Mode. 

However in order to configure the Alexa features of the RBS40V, you need to use the mobile Nighthawk app. You can use the desktop browser for the network setup of the RBS40V in Extender Mode, but you will have to use the Nighthawk app to get the Amazon Alexa login and voice controls. I have not tried this yet on one of my Orbi AX systems, so I can't confirm it works, but it should.  

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

One problem though, when Orbi is main host wifi and router, it goes not allow the NH app to connect to supported NH devices. You'll get a unsupported device message and to open up the Orbi app. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7