Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Additional satellites

Sevo123
Apprentice

Additional satellites

Hi I want to purchase the new Orbi AX unit but I need help. Where can I purchase more Satellites from? If I possibly purchase 2 units can I use the additional router as a satellite?
Message 1 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

No additional satellites available separately currently. 

Message 2 of 27
Chuck_M
Mentor

I purchased the AX a few days ago and installed this am.

Was pleasantly surprised to see that the RBS50 sattelites I have work just fine on the Orbi AX.

In fact, I have one RBS850 sattelite, one RBS50 satellite and my original RBR50 in AP mode hard wired back to the RBR850.

Smooth as silk.

Message 3 of 27
DoctorA
Luminary

I wonder If an old NG non mesh router will work in AP mode. I am horder and kept WNDR4500 
@Chuck_M wrote:

Was pleasantly surprised to see that the RBS50 sattelites I have work just fine on the Orbi AX.

In fact, I have one RBS850 sattelite, one RBS50 satellite and my original RBR50 in AP mode hard wired back to the RBR850.

Smooth as silk.

Message 4 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

You can. Just needs to be on far separate wifi channels away from what the Orbi is using. This can add to the wifi noise however. 

Message 5 of 27
Sevo123
Apprentice

Not going to purchase the AX unit until they release the satellites to purchase separately .
Message 6 of 27
Bandito
Luminary

@Sevo123

You might want to consider the fact that the RBK852 system does provide more useable coverage than the original Orbi system does.  Once I got my new system up and running correctly, I have only needed the one RBS850 as a satellite to get the same coverage and speeds that I was getting with three satellites on my RBK53 system.  I'm not sure if the power levels are up on the radios or not, but the RBK852 system is certainly giving me equal or better coverage than my original system.

How large on an area do you need to cover?  Do you have an Orbi system now and, if so, how many satellites do you have?

'Most places will let you return the system if you're not satisfied, so it may be worth trying out to see if you get adequate coverage or not.

Message 7 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

How big is your home? Sq Ft? Mines 5000Sq Ft, no issues with WiFi coverage with just the RBR and 1 RBS wirelessly connected. Even with the RBS in the basement and RBR on 2nd story level. Good wifi coverage and operation. Something to try as suggested. If you don't like it, then return it. 

@Sevo123 wrote:
Not going to purchase the AX unit until they release the satellites to purchase separately .

Message 8 of 27
DoctorA
Luminary

So RBR50 in AP mode becomes identical to RBS50? My neighbor has an extra RBR50 he is not using. 
@Chuck_M wrote:

Smooth as silk.

Message 9 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

@DoctorA 

No, RBRs only work as routers or in wired AP mode providing a wireless source. They don't work in extender or satellite mode connections with wireless back haul. 

Message 10 of 27
DoctorA
Luminary

Do RBRs become satellites in AP mode wired?@FURRYe38 wrote:

@DoctorA 

No, RBRs only work as routers or in wired AP mode providing a wireless source. They don't work in extender or satellite mode connections with wireless back haul. 

Message 11 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

No. There just wired APs.

Message 12 of 27
Sevo123
Apprentice

Netgear had a live on the orbi AX unit today on YouTube live and Facebook live... I asked about the satellites. They said in the coming weeks it will be available. Finally!!!

Video link https://youtu.be/xPVGv0IHVao
Message 13 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep

Message 14 of 27
DoctorA
Luminary

Thank you for the good news. Now I am going to wait for the the new RBS 850 instead of spending money on RBS 50. People are saying that the usable coverage of  RBS 850 is better.

@Sevo123 wrote:
Netgear had a live on the orbi AX unit today on YouTube live and Facebook live... I asked about the satellites. They said in the coming weeks it will be available. Finally!!!

Video link https://youtu.be/xPVGv0IHVao

Message 15 of 27
sjtNJ
Guide

Does anyone know if/think this will work with the Orbi wifi 6 system to extend it?

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EAX80.aspx

Message 16 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't belive so as this time. NG may bring compatibility in future updates. EX even don't work right on Orbi AC unless you ask NG support for special FW build. I had to ask for my EX7700 to work with a RBK50. 

@sjtNJ wrote:

Does anyone know if/think this will work with the Orbi wifi 6 system to extend it?

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EAX80.aspx

Message 17 of 27
DoctorA
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I don't belive so as this time. NG may bring compatibility in future updates. EX even don't work right on Orbi AC unless you ask NG support for special FW build. I had to ask for my EX7700 to work with a RBK50. 

@sjtNJ wrote:

List of things NG must do is getting longer. I mean it says "The Nighthawk AX8 is compatible with any WiFi router" on that page. 

Also RBS50Y outdoor and RBS 50 regular in wireless mode doesn't communicate with RBK 850.

Also we don't know yet if the 2nd RBS 850 will work with RBR 850.

Message 18 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

All in good time. I'm sure NGs priority is to get a 2nd RBS850 working first. 

Message 19 of 27
d1mmy
Apprentice

I would also like to add my request to make satellites available for purchase separately.  I purchased the 2-pack, but due to the layout of my home I'm getting very poor signal in my living room.  The signal from either my primary router or the satellite has to pass through two exterior walls to reach my living room.  Since those exterior walls block a lot more signal than interior walls, I'm a bit stuck at the moment.  The signal is usable but it's not great.  That's also the room where I watch (streaming) TV.  I previously got around this issue by using five Google WiFi pucks and was hoping the Orbi AX6000 system would be powerful to replace the Google system.  I could potentially solve the problem with one more Orbi either wireless or using a wired backhaul, but there's no option to purchase it!

Message 20 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Release-date-for-Add-on-Orbi-WiFi6-Satellite-RBS850/m-p/185...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@d1mmy wrote:

I would also like to add my request to make satellites available for purchase separately.  I purchased the 2-pack, but due to the layout of my home I'm getting very poor signal in my living room.  The signal from either my primary router or the satellite has to pass through two exterior walls to reach my living room.  Since those exterior walls block a lot more signal than interior walls, I'm a bit stuck at the moment.  The signal is usable but it's not great.  That's also the room where I watch (streaming) TV.  I previously got around this issue by using five Google WiFi pucks and was hoping the Orbi AX6000 system would be powerful to replace the Google system.  I could potentially solve the problem with one more Orbi either wireless or using a wired backhaul, but there's no option to purchase it!

Message 21 of 27
d1mmy
Apprentice

My office, where the primary router sits, is only about 20-30' from my living room.  The problem is that those 20-30' consist of two exterior walls (surrounding a courtyard in my house).  The problem I'm facing is the layout and building materials used in my home.  It seems crazy that my signal strength degrades this much in such a short distance, but it is what it is.  If I moved my one satellite into the living room, other areas of my house would not have a good signal.  That's why I need at least one additional satellite device.

https://analiti.com/shared/5ba22576-8b95-4b3b-8b2f-cd4df5c7cbbb

Message 22 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll probably need to get another then...Some building materials can cause wifi problems. Especially, concrete, brick and metal. 

@d1mmy wrote:

My office, where the primary router sits, is only about 20-30' from my living room.  The problem is that those 20-30' consist of two exterior walls (surrounding a courtyard in my house).  The problem I'm facing is the layout and building materials used in my home.  It seems crazy that my signal strength degrades this much in such a short distance, but it is what it is.  If I moved my one satellite into the living room, other areas of my house would not have a good signal.  That's why I need at least one additional satellite device.

https://analiti.com/shared/5ba22576-8b95-4b3b-8b2f-cd4df5c7cbbb

Message 23 of 27
flickhuck
Aspirant

How did you get the RBS50s to connect to the RBR850?

@Chuck_M wrote:

Smooth as silk.

Message 24 of 27
Chuck_M
Mentor

They are hard-wired back to the RBS850.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation