Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Alternative to Armor and Circle on Orbi AX

FURRYe38
Guru

Alternative to Armor and Circle on Orbi AX

Since Armor or Circle isn't fully supported on Orbi AX as of yet, user may want to review this:

"To protect family/kids from malicious Internet content, DNS filtering is simplest defense and it's free.  There are quite a few of free/paid DNS filtering services out there, but I find that free DNS filtering service is sufficient for me.

My two favorite free services are Cloudflare Gateway and CleanBrowsing DNS Filters.

I've tried both services and I found that CleanBrowsing/Adult Filter is best and simplest to setup.  However, if you want a nice DNS report, flexibilty (what to block), and speed, stick with CloudFlare Gateway.  The setup process is similar for both, just point your router/Orbi DNS servers to their IP addresses.  That's it!

Good luck!"

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1907963/hi...

Message 1 of 9
60sguy
Aspirant

Can't you plug a Circle Home Plus into the Orbi AX6000 RBR (router) to get Circle to work? I konw it's not built in but it seems from the Circle website that Orbis are compatible?

Asking as I just ordered my Orbi AX system and was planning to do this.  I really rely on Circle for my kids so if this won't work please LMK, but I'm assming it will?  (I know you need to subscribe to Circle Home Plus but I'm fine with that.)

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like that is a external device. Something to ask the Mfr about to see if thats possible. 

@60sguy wrote:

Can't you plug a Circle Home Plus into the Orbi AX6000 RBR (router) to get Circle to work? I konw it's not built in but it seems from the Circle website that Orbis are compatible?

Asking as I just ordered my Orbi AX system and was planning to do this.  I really rely on Circle for my kids so if this won't work please LMK, but I'm assming it will?  (I know you need to subscribe to Circle Home Plus but I'm fine with that.)

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

CleanBrowsing even has a guide for Orbi - How to change DNS on a NetGear Orbi Router.  

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 9
tarcvf
Tutor

I have been using Disney Circle Home Plus with my RBK853, it works fine but you have enable Router Compatibility Mode ON

Does not work if Compatibility Mode is OFF

Also in my experience as soon as they launch Circle for Orbi RBK853, you can turn off Compatibility Mode OFF and it should work without any issue. I have been using Circle Home Plus for a while now, and it works great with kids at home.

@60sguy @FURRYe38 

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for letting us know. Glad that solution is working until if or when NG decides to release Circle for Orbi AX. 

Enjoy. 

@tarcvf wrote:

I have been using Disney Circle Home Plus with my RBK853, it works fine but you have enable Router Compatibility Mode ON

Also in my experience as soon as they launch Circle for Orbi RBK853, you can turn off Compatibility Mode OFF and it should work without any issue. I have been using Circle Home Plus for a while now, and it works great with kids at home.

@60sguy @FURRYe38 

Message 7 of 9
dtay
Luminary

@tarcvf wrote:

@60sguy @FURRYe38 

I've been having mixed results having Circle Plus working with Orbi AX (RBK853); like you said, it works under compatibility mode, for the most part.  Every now and then I'd experience weird issues or symptoms and the fix was to disabling/re-enabling Circle, or rebooting Circle to get it working again.

Circle has updated their router compatibility with the following information. It looks like the RBK7xx (AX4200) series are compatible with Circle Plus under compatibility mode but NOT the RBK8xx (AX6000) series. 

From Circle's website:

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022419752

Orbi (Most models)
⚠︎ Orbi RBR750, RBK752, and RBK753 (Only compatible with Circle Home Plus, Use Compatibility Mode)
⚠︎ Orbi RBR850, RBK852, and RBK853 (We are investigating issues with these routers)
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements