Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Any word on Netgear upgrading Orbi RBK850 to Wifi 6e?

JohnyBeGood
Aspirant

Any word on Netgear upgrading Orbi RBK850 to Wifi 6e?

I have an Orbi wifi 5 RBK52. Because I have so many devices (30+), I would like to uograde to the wifi 6 Orbi RBK852. I have read many reviews and I believe it would take care of my crowded situation. I get intermittent drops on some of my security cameras.

One of the reviews mentioned that since the wifi 6e standard was approved last year it is likely that Netgear would upgrade to the revised standard and if possible, it would be worth the wait. I read that they annouced a new router to be avilable in March 2021 with wifi 6e. 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Any word on Netgear upgrading Orbi RBK850 to Wifi 6e?

WiFi 6E is a new chipset and hardware feature. Something that will not be updated or included on current Orbi AX. 6E will be a new product line. No information if Orbi systems will see a new model being released at this time. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

WiFi 6E is a new chipset and hardware feature. Something that will not be updated or included on current Orbi AX. 6E will be a new product line. No information if Orbi systems will see a new model being released at this time. 

Message 2 of 6
JohnyBeGood
Aspirant

Thanks! This makes sense now that I understand it is a new chipset. Then perhaps in a couple of years we will have RBK950. lol

I was afraid to buy the RBK852 this month and find out v2 was coming out this summer. These babies aren't cheap.

BTW, wifi 7 standard I hear is due to be approved around 2024 by IEEE.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

There isn't a wifi 7 standard, there is currrently WiFi5, 6 and 6E. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
JohnyBeGood
Aspirant

Actually, work is already underway on the next generation, Wi-Fi 7, within the IEEE 802.11be Extremely High Throughput (EHT) working group.

For more info, check this out:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/sponsored/wi-fi-7-next-generation-evolution-wi-fi

As I said above, the IEEE 802.11be is expected to be approved sometime in 2024.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7