Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Asking about Compatibility of RBS20 and RBS50 with the new Triband RBR750

KevenT
Aspirant

Asking about Compatibility of RBS20 and RBS50 with the new Triband RBR750

I just purchased a new Orbi router and 2 satellite bundle from Costco, the AX4200 which also lists RBK753S on the box.

I wanted to add more satelites to my home, but Costco does not sell just the satelites alone.  I replaced my current router - RBR50 with the new 4.2Gps RBR750, and instantly lost connection to all the older satelites in the house.  The only satelites that connect are the new ones that came with my new purchase.

Is there any way to configure my system to accommodate all the units I bought together with the old units I have already installed?   Otherewise, I just obsceleted at $1000 investment without knowing it.

Thanks !

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS AC units are not wirelessly compatible with Orbi AX. You can ethernet connect them to the Orbi AX router however. 

Message 2 of 13
BiGMERF
Apprentice

nope its not, unless you wire it.. sad right. to bad they couldnt be like linksys or tplink and made it backwards compatible.. Netgear seems to be overly greedy

Message 3 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

@BiGMERF wrote:

nope its not, unless you wire it.. sad right. to bad they couldnt be like linksys or tplink and made it backwards compatible.. Netgear seems to be overly greedy

It boils down to the way the WIFI is handled with the AX configuration. I never have, but has anyone ever tried disabling AX in the RBS750 and wirelessly connecting an AC satellite? It would downgrade your AX router and be stupid to do so. But in extreme situations it may be worth it.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Tried with my RBS20 that I had quick access too. Disabled AX on the RBR850. Pressed the sync button the RBS20 and on the RBR850s web page. Sync was fast and the RBRs web page reported success. I looked at the RBS20 and the top ring LED had turned OFF. No BLUE led though to indicate success here. Looked at the RBRs connected clients page, no RBS20 seen in the RBS section or connected clients list whatsoever. 

Message 5 of 13
KevenT
Aspirant

Okay, just was about to ask that.  So you are saying that I can take my old RBR50 router, and plug it into one of the ports on the RBR750, and it will work, and I will just have two networks?  or if the SSID is the same, will I have an expanded network now?

Please elaborate.  Thank you!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

RBS AC units are not wirelessly compatible with Orbi AX. You can ethernet connect them to the Orbi AX router however. 

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have two separate networks if you connect the RBR50 to the RBR750. You can do this. Set the RBR50 to AP mode. Set channels to 1 on the RBR50 and channel 11 on the RBR750. Same with 5Ghz channels, use far appart channels. Placement of the 50 from the 750 as far appart as well. You can also lower the power output of the 50 from 100% to 50 or 25% to lesson the foot print and wifi signal over lap with the 750s signal. 

@KevenT wrote:

Okay, just was about to ask that.  So you are saying that I can take my old RBR50 router, and plug it into one of the ports on the RBR750, and it will work, and I will just have two networks?  or if the SSID is the same, will I have an expanded network now?

Please elaborate.  Thank you!

Message 7 of 13
BiGMERF
Apprentice

to add to that question.. if it is supported in that manner... can it be behind switches ? or does it have to be a DIRECT connection

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Can be connected to switches, just be sure the switch segment is connected behind the RBR.

@BiGMERF wrote:

to add to that question.. if it is supported in that manner... can it be behind switches ? or does it have to be a DIRECT connection

Message 9 of 13
BiGMERF
Apprentice

hmm interesting.. im trying to find if it is just a simple connection, or are there settings involved

sorry if im asking to much

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

This is probably all FW and HW limiting at this time. 

Message 11 of 13
BiGMERF
Apprentice

Fast forward and homework limiting. ? 

tried looking for an answer but can seem to find any 

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Firmware and Hardware

Message 13 of 13