Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1150v + Orbi RBK752 - Wifi and Wired Connection Issues

cbassins
Aspirant

CM1150v + Orbi RBK752 - Wifi and Wired Connection Issues

Hi,

I just purchased a Netgear CM1150V cable/telephone modem along with an Orbi RBK752 Mesh system for my Xfinity service.  I had Comcast activate the modem.

I was able to get an internet connection up and running, so I connected the Orbi and followed the instructions to set that up. 

The router/satellite setup seemed to work and I was able to change the network name/password.

Afterwards, I ran an ethernet connection from the router to my Netgear ethernet switch, which provides hard-wired connections throughout my house.

I'm having several issues:

1.  My hard-wired connections don't seem to connect to the internet at all.  I know this because I went to "orbilogin.com" admin site and saw that the MAC address of my desktop computer (along with other devices) was not listed in the connected devices.

2.  The Orbi app on my phone can't seem to find the Orbi devices.  I'm able to 'connect' to the network with my cell phone, but the internet connection doesn't work.

3.  Certain devices will connect to the new network like my printer, my desktop's WiFi adapter, my wireless Roku stick, but other devices like the cell phones, MacBook, and AppleTV won't connect to the network. 

If anyone is able to provide ideas/suggestions, I would appreciate it.  I'm thinking maybe some of the settings aren't configured appropriately.

My Xfinity service is 600MB.  I'm also not sure if my prior internet standard was IPv4 or if the WiFi network security type would affect anything?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Message 1 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

@cbassins wrote:

Hi,

I just purchased a Netgear CM1150V cable/telephone modem along with an Orbi RBK752 Mesh system for my Xfinity service.  I had Comcast activate the modem.

I was able to get an internet connection up and running, so I connected the Orbi and followed the instructions to set that up. 

The router/satellite setup seemed to work and I was able to change the network name/password.

Afterwards, I ran an ethernet connection from the router to my Netgear ethernet switch, which provides hard-wired connections throughout my house.

I'm having several issues:

1.  My hard-wired connections don't seem to connect to the internet at all.  I know this because I went to "orbilogin.com" admin site and saw that the MAC address of my desktop computer (along with other devices) was not listed in the connected devices.

2.  The Orbi app on my phone can't seem to find the Orbi devices.  I'm able to 'connect' to the network with my cell phone, but the internet connection doesn't work.

3.  Certain devices will connect to the new network like my printer, my desktop's WiFi adapter, my wireless Roku stick, but other devices like the cell phones, MacBook, and AppleTV won't connect to the network. 

If anyone is able to provide ideas/suggestions, I would appreciate it.  I'm thinking maybe some of the settings aren't configured appropriately.

My Xfinity service is 600MB.  I'm also not sure if my prior internet standard was IPv4 or if the WiFi network security type would affect anything?

Thanks in advance for your time.

What Netgear switch are you using? 

Are all WIFI devices working or some? Sometimes, after install, it's good to forget the networks on the WIFI devices, and rejoin, especially if using the same SSID name. 

What router are you referring to that the switch is connected to, Orbi or Internet?

Message 2 of 16
plemans
Guru

Another thing to check that gets missed a lot. 

The CM1150V is a modem with voice. It might have 4x ethernet ports but for the average user, only 1 port is usable. If you have a router that support wan port aggregation, you can use ports 1 & 2. Reason why is most isp's (including comcast) only support 1 public ip address on consumer lines. Meaning only 1 device can be connected. 

So if you have more than 1 device plugged into the cm1150v, unplug them all, reboot the modem, and then reconnect the router to the modem. 

Message 3 of 16
cbassins
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick reply.

My CM1150V is only wired to the Orbi RBK752 and my internet phone.

The Orbi RBK752 is connected to a NETGEAR JGS524NA Ethernet switch.

A few observations I’ve noticed:

1. I also have an Engenius WiFi extender connected to the switch and certain devices seem to work (Nest thermostats and Onelink smoke detectors).

2. My ‘guest’ network seems to let me connect my phone and other devices that I couldn’t connect to the main network
Message 4 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

@cbassins wrote:
Thank you for the quick reply.

My CM1150V is only wired to the Orbi RBK752 and my internet phone.

The Orbi RBK752 is connected to a NETGEAR JGS524NA Ethernet switch.

A few observations I’ve noticed:

1. I also have an Engenius WiFi extender connected to the switch and certain devices seem to work (Nest thermostats and Onelink smoke detectors).

2. My ‘guest’ network seems to let me connect my phone and other devices that I couldn’t connect to the main network

So your switch is connected to your Orbi router LAN port and your Orbi router is connected to the CM1150V?

So CMV1150V > Orbi RBR750 > Netgear JGS524NA > Engenius and certail devices, (Nest thermostats and Onelink smoke detectors)?

That would be a proper connection.

Why the Engenius extender and not an Orbi RBS750 satellite, or is that connected as well?

Is your Internet phone plugged into an RJ45 network jack or one of the RJ11 phone jacks?

Message 5 of 16
plemans
Guru

have you tried it without the switch? (for testing)

some switches with green functions or managed functiosn,  don't play well with orbi 

Message 6 of 16
cbassins
Aspirant

@Mstrbig 

That's exactly right - 

CMV1150V -> Orbi RBR750 -> Netgear JGS524NA -> Engenius and certail devices

I'd prefer to use the Orbi Mesh system for everything, but was thinking of keeping the EnGenius extender for some of my existing WiFi devices that don't really require much bandwidth (smoke detectors, thermostat), so that I didn't have to change the settings for every device.

My phone is plugged into a RJ11 phone jack, as it's a phone service through Comcast.  

Any ideas on what else I could try?

Message 7 of 16
cbassins
Aspirant

Thanks.  

Do you mean I should disconnect the switch and just try to connect the Ethernet cable directly to my laptop to verify that the Orbi router is providing an active internet signal?  

Can you elaborate on what you meant by switches with green or managed functions?  Is there a setting in the switch I need to somehow fix?  I definitely need a switch because I have about 20-24 hardwired connections that run to it.

Would I need a more current switch than the one I have?

Message 8 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

@cbassins wrote:

@Mstrbig 

That's exactly right - 

CMV1150V -> Orbi RBR750 -> Netgear JGS524NA -> Engenius and certail devices

I'd prefer to use the Orbi Mesh system for everything, but was thinking of keeping the EnGenius extender for some of my existing WiFi devices that don't really require much bandwidth (smoke detectors, thermostat), so that I didn't have to change the settings for every device.

My phone is plugged into a RJ11 phone jack, as it's a phone service through Comcast.  

Any ideas on what else I could try?

Sometimes it's best to strip down the system for testing purposes. 

I would disconnect everything connected to the Orbi router and satellites, if any, then test WIFI and wired using a laptop.

Then if successful, plug the next device in, whether it's the switch or other devices. And test again. If the switch, extender or device is causing the issue, you should be able to find and isolate it. 

Do you have another switch you can use for testing purposes or eliminate it temporarily from the chain?

Message 9 of 16
cbassins
Aspirant

I don't have an extra switch, unfortunately.

I can try connecting the Orbi router to my laptop to ensure that it's working.  I think that could verify the hardwired ethernet signal from the router.

Any idea how I could go about trying to figure out why my Orbi WiFi is only semi-working with some devices and not others?  Does it have to do with the security level or other settings?

Message 10 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

@cbassins wrote:

I can try connecting the Orbi router to my laptop to ensure that it's working.  I think that could verify the hardwired ethernet signal from the router.

Any idea how I could go about trying to figure out why my Orbi WiFi is only semi-working with some devices and not others?  Does it have to do with the security level or other settings?

Are just WIFI connected items are working or wired devices too?

Go into orbilogin.com and check all your settings.Chgeck everything under Advanced/Security like Parental Controls, Access Control, Block Sites, Block ServicesSchedule

Message 11 of 16
plemans
Guru

@cbassins wrote:

Try it with the satellites direct wired to the router. Not through the switch. 

Message 12 of 16
GeekGear
Guide

I just purchased the CM1150V connected to Comcast with an older Orbi RBR50.   Just stating the obvious.  Only one device a PC or router can be connected to the CM1150V.  If you are using the ethernet ports for multiple connections it will not work. Any changes may require a powercycle or reset on the Modem.  Don't make any changes if some connections work and you don't have the time to troubleshoot.   I can't guarantee these changes will work for you.  Who knows it might make things worse.   Good luck.

What I did with Netgears help to fix the connectivity issue between my Orbi and the CM1150V.

1. Internet IP Address                               -  Get Dynamically from ISP
  2. Set Router Mac address                        -  Use Computer Mac address
  3. Domain Name Server (DNS) Address  -  Get Automatically from ISP

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 13 of 16
cbassins
Aspirant

I did connect my Orbi router directly to my laptop (with the WiFi adapter disabled) and verified that the connection works.

I don't know if I can directly connect a satellite to the Orbi router outside of just test purposes, since the location of where I'd like to have the satellite is on a different floor/area of the house.  The ethernet connection is wired to the switch that I referenced before.  

Message 14 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

@cbassins wrote:

I did connect my Orbi router directly to my laptop (with the WiFi adapter disabled) and verified that the connection works.

I don't know if I can directly connect a satellite to the Orbi router outside of just test purposes, since the location of where I'd like to have the satellite is on a different floor/area of the house.  The ethernet connection is wired to the switch that I referenced before.  

You can move the satellite to the same floor for testing purposes.

How far is the satellite, on the second floor, from the router? Sometimes you have to move the satellite to a more desirable location, which may not be your most desirable. 

Message 15 of 16
cbassins
Aspirant

I measured the length of the room on the 2nd floor.  I would say it's somewhere between 20-35ft in total.

It's in the same location in my family room where I currently have my EnGenius WiFi extender (which has worked fine with my old Comcast modem/router/switch setup.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7