Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I use RBR850 as a satellite?

pbels13
Follower

Can I use RBR850 as a satellite?

I purchased two sets of the AX6000 (one router and one sattelite in each box) and have set up one router and two satelittes

I have one more Router the RBR850. 

Can I set up one of the the RBR850 router as a sattelite?

Thank you

Peter

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

No. RBRs can only be used as routers or in wired AP mode only. 

Message 2 of 5
marvinc001
Aspirant

I recently purchased the Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK853) with 1 router and 2 satellites. I am able to connect my router on one end of the main house and have a wired backhaul satellite on the other end. I am also able to wire a satellite in a separate garage apartment, since I’m passing Internet over a MoCA connection with Ethernet like performance.

The areas I’m trying to improve are in the middle of the main house, between the router and the wired satellite on the other end. I’ve been waiting for the add-on satellites to arrive in stock (Add-on Orbi WiFi6 Satellite RBS850), but they seem to be taking a while. I was wondering if I could purchase the RBK852 kit (1 router and 1 satellite) and use the router as a wired satellite in the garage apartment and the two remaining satellites to blanket the center of the main house using wireless backhaul connections.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
kildare
Luminary

@marvinc001 wrote:
I was wondering if I could purchase the RBK852 kit (1 router and 1 satellite) and use the router as a wired satellite in the garage apartment and the two remaining satellites to blanket the center of the main house using wireless backhaul connections.

No, it's not possible, they are not interchangeable.

But with the second RBR850 you could create a second wifi network with a different SSID in the garage, but also this RBR850 should be physically wired to the ISP modem, so you need to have the ethernet cabling available.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

RBRs can only be used as routers or wired APs. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@marvinc001 wrote:
I recently purchased the Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK853) with 1 router and 2 satellites. I am able to connect my router on one end of the main house and have a wired backhaul satellite on the other end. I am also able to wire a satellite in a separate garage apartment, since I’m passing Internet over a MoCA connection with Ethernet like performance.

The areas I’m trying to improve are in the middle of the main house, between the router and the wired satellite on the other end. I’ve been waiting for the add-on satellites to arrive in stock (Add-on Orbi WiFi6 Satellite RBS850), but they seem to be taking a while. I was wondering if I could purchase the RBK852 kit (1 router and 1 satellite) and use the router as a wired satellite in the garage apartment and the two remaining satellites to blanket the center of the main house using wireless backhaul connections.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7