Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can’t set RBR850 Router Internet Static IP Address

Roberr
Aspirant

Can’t set RBR850 Router Internet Static IP Address

Firmware Version v3.2.16.6_1.4.4 (latest firmware)

I can’t get my Orbi router to connect to my ISP Modem, which requires static IP settings.

Logged into the Orbi Router at Advanced tab/Setup/Internet Setup/Internet IP Address

*Use Static IP Address

IP:  68.x.x.x

Mask:  255.255.255.224

Gateway: 68.x.x.x

I can set the mask and gateway, but everytime I try to set the IP, it resets to 0.0.0.0

Intermittently, I get at error that says I can’t assign that IP address.

I tried changing the mask to 255.255.255.0, but it still wouldn’t accept the IP address, and always resets to 0.0.0.0

I have tried setting the static ip address with and without the ISP modem plugged into the Orbi internet port.

Thanks

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Roberr
Aspirant

Re: Can’t set RBR850 Router Internet Static IP Address

The problem has been solved.  After trying various sequences, I had to have my ISP modem connected to the Orbi Internet (WAN) port.

(I powered off Orbi and modem, powered on modem, waited a couple mins, connected ethernet cable from modem to Orbi port, powered on Orbi, updated static IP address, and it took this time.)

I’m reasonably sure I tried this before, but I guess I either skipped a step, or it just decided to work this time, *shrug*.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What browser are you using? 

Message 2 of 10
McLong
Apprentice

Do yourself a favor and immediately remove your static IP address from the original post.

As Furry suggested, who is your ISP and what modem are using?

I am currently running a static IP using Xfinity on an RBR850 without issues since June with the exception of the firmware glitch preventing static LAN addresses. Hoping this is resolved in the next firmware update.

Thanks,

Matt

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

"with the exception of the firmware glitch preventing static LAN addresses."?

Whats this problem? Do you mean setting a IP address reservation for your devices ON the RBR? 

@McLong wrote:

Do yourself a favor and immediately remove your static IP address from the original post.

As Furry suggested, who is your ISP and what modem are using?

I am currently running a static IP using Xfinity on an RBR850 without issues since June with the exception of the firmware glitch preventing static LAN addresses. Hoping this is resolved in the next firmware update.

Thanks,

Matt

Message 4 of 10
McLong
Apprentice

Yep, a static IP reservation using IPv4 for specific MAC address while DHCP handles the remaining devices. For some odd reason this breaks the WAN connection to all devices connected through the satellite after a few days. Hard resetting the RBR and RBS several times did not fix the issue so in the end as a work around I just set the device to the desired LAN IP.
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you filed a support ticket and given debug logs to NG about this? 

@McLong wrote:
Yep, a static IP reservation using IPv4 for specific MAC address while DHCP handles the remaining devices. For some odd reason this breaks the WAN connection to all devices connected through the satellite after a few days. Hard resetting the RBR and RBS several times did not fix the issue so in the end as a work around I just set the device to the desired LAN IP.

Message 6 of 10
McLong
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 No ticket submitted as I needed a workaround immediately as this is used in an office environment. I'm sure others are having this issue though and are taking the necessary steps to resolve with NG. 

Thanks,

Matt

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend also contact NG support and reporting this to NG as well. You can rely on others reporting to NG as we may not get confirmation of this from NG or users. Also helps to add the information as well for NG. The more users report problems to NG the better and NG will act on it. 

@Blanca_O 

@ErnestTheGreat 

@McLong wrote:

No ticket submitted as I needed a workaround immediately as this is used in an office environment. I'm sure others are having this issue though and are taking the necessary steps to resolve with NG. 

Thanks,

Matt

Message 8 of 10
Roberr
Aspirant

The problem has been solved.  After trying various sequences, I had to have my ISP modem connected to the Orbi Internet (WAN) port.

(I powered off Orbi and modem, powered on modem, waited a couple mins, connected ethernet cable from modem to Orbi port, powered on Orbi, updated static IP address, and it took this time.)

I’m reasonably sure I tried this before, but I guess I either skipped a step, or it just decided to work this time, *shrug*.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation