Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Chamberlain MYQ Orbi752 won't connect

mirage_man
Guide

Chamberlain MYQ Orbi752 won't connect

Recently upgraded to a new mesh Orbi 752 system and all is working well except I can't get it to connect with my Chamberlin garage door opener MYQ. I know this is an issue resulting from the fact that the myq is only 2g and the orbi is both 2g and 5g. I've tried turning off the 5g and it still won't work.

I spoke to tech support and they said there's two options... Reduce the 5g signal or add a second router specifically for the myq. I have an older Asus router and I tried following a tutorial to add it to the orbi and I couldn't get it to work. Ended up having to factory reset the orbi.

Anyone have a suggestion here? Tech support said they would help me set it up if it was another Netgear brand router. I don't have a problem getting a cheap one for this purpose if I have to but not sure what would be the best way to go.
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
mirage_man
Guide

Wouldn't you know it but Chamberlain support had a fix!

Apparently the issue was using the Android app to try to connect. They showed me a work-around using a web interface to authenticate the network.

Here's what I did..

#1) Go through steps to update wifi settings via control panel on opener itself. (push and hold rectangular button until led button lights turn off on unit. Then push yellow round button 3 times. Rectangular button will blink blue.)

#2) Go to wifi settings in phone and myq opener should be visible. Select it. Let it connect.

#3) Open a browser on phone. Type in "setup.myqdevice.com" and enter. It will open a web interface for setting up the wifi. Follow prompts and it should work. It did for me and I was even able to leave AX mode enabled as well as go back to regular wpa2.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 23

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://https://https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Had the garage device worked before you got the Orbi AX with a different router? Are you using the same SSID name and PW on the Orbi AX as on the prior router? 

Try disabling AX mode on both radios.

Try setting CTS values to 2347 Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

IF you reduce the power output of the 5ghz radio, you need to disable the wifi radio on your setup mobile device for the garage device. Walk out farther from the RBR or RBS, then turn ON the mobile device and then it should connect to the 2.4Ghz radio. I would turn OFF the RBS for this process while you attempt to get the garage device setup so your only dealing with 1 wifi signal. 

Message 2 of 23
Mikey94025
Hero

@mirage_man wrote:
Recently upgraded to a new mesh Orbi 752 system and all is working well except I can't get it to connect with my Chamberlin garage door opener MYQ. I know this is an issue resulting from the fact that the myq is only 2g and the orbi is both 2g and 5g. I've tried turning off the 5g and it still won't work.

I have a Liftmaster MyQ/wi-fi enabled garage opener motor connected to my Orbi RBR850.  I don't recall a problem connecting to it because the procedure involves connecting to the unit's own 2.4Ghz wifi and then picking the network the opener tells you it wants to connect to.  Since the opener only understands 2.4Ghz, it lists only 2.4Ghz networks.  I don't think this has to do with 5Ghz sharing the 2.4Ghz SSID (this only causes problems when a phone app tries to use the phone's wireless connection, which may be 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz, to decide what to connect to).  Your problems with your old Asus router seem to also indicate a non-5Ghz issue.

For best 2.4Ghz compatbility in Orbi AX systems, in http://orbilogin.com/ go to Advanced... Advanced... Advanced Wireless Settings and set CTS/RTS to 2347 for both bands.  If that still doesn't work, try disabling AX mode (uncheck the box) for 2.4Ghz.

Message 3 of 23
js16301
Initiate

I have an RBR850 and was having a hard time also,  I turned off the AX on the 2.4 GHZ and reset my WiFi using the instructions on page 32 of the owners manual.  After that I didn't have any issues and was able to connect.  Hopefully this works for you

Message 4 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank for letting us know.

Enjoy. 

@js16301 wrote:

I have an RBR850 and was having a hard time also,  I turned off the AX on the 2.4 GHZ and reset my WiFi using the instructions on page 32 of the owners manual.  After that I didn't have any issues and was able to connect.  Hopefully this works for you

Message 5 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@mirage_man wrote:

I spoke to tech support and they said there's two options... Reduce the 5g signal or add a second router specifically for the myq. I have an older Asus router and I tried following a tutorial to add it to the orbi and I couldn't get it to work. Ended up having to factory reset the orbi.

Anyone have a suggestion here? Tech support said they would help me set it up if it was another Netgear brand router. I don't have a problem getting a cheap one for this purpose if I have to but not sure what would be the best way to go.

Message 6 of 23
mirage_man
Guide

Not yet. Haven't had a chance to work on it until now. I'll update shortly if I can get it working.
Message 7 of 23
mirage_man
Guide

I'll give that a shot next. Turning of AX mode did not work.

And to a address a previous comment.. My old asus router worked fine. It wasn't until upgrading to the orbi that it became an issue.
Message 8 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? There should be some input value boxes to the right side of that screen. 64 will be seeing in two boxes. Change this to 2347.

Try a different browser? 

Try disabling AX mode if you have tried this as well. 

Message 9 of 23
mirage_man
Guide

I found it. I didn't scroll over far enough apparently. I changed the values and am going through the myq update wifi settings procedure now. Will post results shortly.
Message 10 of 23
mirage_man
Guide

Changing those values to didn't work. ☹️
Message 11 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so temporarily, disable WPA settings on the RBR. Set to open. Then see if the device will connect. IF not, Set back to WPA and TPIK and see, then try WPA2 and AES only. 

If the devices will not connect at all, seems this device maybe incompatible with Orbi AX...

Message 12 of 23
mirage_man
Guide

Tried disabling AX mode in addition to the value changes. No worky.

Ill try your next suggestion. Should I leave AX mode disabled too?
Message 13 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes...

Message 14 of 23
mirage_man
Guide

OK we're getting somewhere! With WPA disabled it connected! So what does that mean?
Message 15 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, now try WPA and TPIK. 

We know wirelessly it will connect. Possible a security mode issue at the device...

Message 16 of 23
mirage_man
Guide

Would not connect in WPA+TKIP
Message 17 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I would discuss this with the mfr of this device first then NG support. Seems like there is a security mode  incompatibilty issue between the Orbi and this device. 

Message 18 of 23
mirage_man
Guide

I know where this goes. The two manufacturers pointing their fingers at each other. Ugh

I already spoke with NG support. Read first post for their recommendations.
Message 19 of 23
mirage_man
Guide

Can anyone offer help as to how to add my old asus router to this network so I can use it to connect to the myq?
Message 20 of 23
mirage_man
Guide

Apparently the issue was using the Android app to try to connect. They showed me a work-around using a web interface to authenticate the network.

Here's what I did..

#1) Go through steps to update wifi settings via control panel on opener itself. (push and hold rectangular button until led button lights turn off on unit. Then push yellow round button 3 times. Rectangular button will blink blue.)

#2) Go to wifi settings in phone and myq opener should be visible. Select it. Let it connect.

#3) Open a browser on phone. Type in "setup.myqdevice.com" and enter. It will open a web interface for setting up the wifi. Follow prompts and it should work. It did for me and I was even able to leave AX mode enabled as well as go back to regular wpa2.
Message 21 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome, thank you for posting that. Hope it helps other users for this device. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 23
Mikey94025
Hero

@mirage_man wrote:

Yes, this is the method where the device tells you what SSIDs it sees and you pick from them.  It's only when using the app that the device gets confused because the phone supports different wireless protocols than the device.  This technique should also work for 2.4Ghz devices whose apps get confused by phones connected via 5Ghz.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7