Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting Seagate NAS to Orbi RBR850 AX6000

mmwillingham
Aspirant

Connecting Seagate NAS to Orbi RBR850 AX6000

Hello,
I recently installed an ORBI router in my home. It is connected to an AT&T modem. All of the wireless devices are connected fine. But I can't access the NAS device connected to the router's ethernet port. I can see in the Orbi console that the NAS is connected to the wired port.
My modem's IP is 192.168.0.1. My router is using a 10.x.x.x range and all my wireless devices are in the 10.x.x.x range. But my NAS device was assigned 192.168.0.11.

The AT&T is a modem/router combo. I disabled its WiFi and set it in passthrough mode, allowing traffic to the Orbi device.

Any ideas on what I need to do to access the NAS device from my computers connected over WiFi?

Thanks

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

Try resetting your NAS's network so it asks for a new IP address (from the Orbi).  It might have kept an address when it was previously attached to your gateway/modem?  Once your NAS has a 10.x.x.x IP address then it should be accessible via your Orbi network devices.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

@mmwillingham wrote:

Hello,
I recently installed an ORBI router in my home. It is connected to an AT&T modem. All of the wireless devices are connected fine. But I can't access the NAS device connected to the router's ethernet port. I can see in the Orbi console that the NAS is connected to the wired port.
My modem's IP is 192.168.0.1. My router is using a 10.x.x.x range and all my wireless devices are in the 10.x.x.x range. But my NAS device was assigned 192.168.0.11.

The AT&T is a modem/router combo. I disabled its WiFi and set it in passthrough mode, allowing traffic to the Orbi device.

Any ideas on what I need to do to access the NAS device from my computers connected over WiFi?

Thanks

It looks like your NAS is connected to your modem instead of your Orbi router, like:

Modem --> Orbi --> devices

\--> NAS

You should standardize on your Orbi so that all of your devices are on the same network, like:

Modem --> Orbi --> devices

\--> NAS

The NAS should have the same type of IP addresses as your other devices, just the last number different (10.x.x.x range).

BTW, looks like your modem is also a router so you have two routers and Double NAT.  While this usually still works, it would be optimal if you put your modem into bridge mode with Orbi the only router (alternatively, put your Orbi into AP modem and only the modem as your router).  Doing this would also optimize/maximize your throughput via your ISP via something like speedtest.net app or website speed tests.

Message 2 of 11
mmwillingham
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

1) My NAS is connected into one of the ethernet ports on the Orbi router. It is not connected to the modem. Sory if I wasn't clear.

AT&T Modem --> Orbi --> devices

\--> NAS

2) Although my modem is also a router, I have disabled the Wifi and configured it to passthrough the traffic to the Orbi router. I don't believe the modem has a bridge mode. It's a Pace Plc  Model# 5268AC

thanks

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure if your nas supports map drive, however can you map drive to \\192.168.0.11\volumename or sharename? This is how I access mine. '

Also I have a static IP address set on my NAS thats outside of the default IP address pool of my RBR. Pool size for me is set to 192.168.#.100 to .200 for my needs. Anything on either side of this pool is used for static IP addressed devices. 

@mmwillingham wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

1) My NAS is connected into one of the ethernet ports on the Orbi router. It is not connected to the modem. Sory if I wasn't clear.

AT&T Modem --> Orbi --> devices

\--> NAS

2) Although my modem is also a router, I have disabled the Wifi and configured it to passthrough the traffic to the Orbi router. I don't believe the modem has a bridge mode. It's a Pace Plc  Model# 5268AC

thanks

Message 4 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@mmwillingham wrote:

This is what is confusing me.  Your NAS, if connected to your Orbi, should not have a 192.168.0.x address if your Orbi is giving out 10.x.x.x addresses to its wireless devices.

1. Is your Orbi running in Router mode or AP mode?
  2. How does your NAS device get its IP address, e.g., is it from DHCP via the Orbi?  If it was set statically, pick an IP address from the range given out by your Orbi.
  3. Your NAS is only accessed internally, not externally via your home right?
Message 5 of 11
mmwillingham
Aspirant

I agree. It’s confiding to me, too.
I think my router is running in router mode, or at least it’s running in the default mode. I haven’t changed anything.
Regarding DHCP, I have it set (by default) to assign with DHCP, but I don’t see any differentiation between Wi-Fi and wired.
My NAS in only accessible from my home network.
Message 6 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

Try resetting your NAS's network so it asks for a new IP address (from the Orbi).  It might have kept an address when it was previously attached to your gateway/modem?  Once your NAS has a 10.x.x.x IP address then it should be accessible via your Orbi network devices.

Message 7 of 11
mmwillingham
Aspirant

I changed the Orbi from Router Mode to AP Mode.
And reset the modem because I had set to a manual IP Address that was in a different subnet than the modem/orbi.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Is it working now? 

Message 9 of 11
mmwillingham
Aspirant

yes thanks

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38