Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DHCP Option 61 (Client ID)

nickashfield
Initiate

DHCP Option 61 (Client ID)

After four frustrating hours on the phone with Netgear's awful technical support, they finally confirmed that the Orbi does NOT currenty support DHCP Client Identifier String (Option 61) in order to authenticate with "Sky" - my UK ISP.  As a consequence I was unable to access the internet with my modem (D6400) in modem mode.  Yes I understand that I can use the RBK853 as an Access Point but this defeats the object of purchasing such an expensive Router.  I want to be able to use all functionality.  If I don't put the modem in modem mode, then I have the problem of double NAT.

It is possible to use your own hardware with Sky's Fibre Broadband service providing that the router is able to send DHCP Client Identifier String (Option 61) requests to the ISP.

My Netgear D6400 modem supports DHCP Option 61 but to my amazement NOT the latest Netgear Orbi products.  I don't understand why the Orbi lacks this basic firmware functionality.  This is so annoying and frustrating considering how expensive the RBK853 is.  As a consequence I have had to return the product for a full refund since it is not compatible with Sky broadband.

Please please please Netgear would you issue an urgent firmware update that supports Option 61 functionality to ALL Orbi products.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 8
nickashfield
Initiate

Many thanks.  I have accepted your suggestion and now posted as an idea improvement.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 8
Daniel-UK
Apprentice

@nickashfield on my Orbi RBK53 on Basic --> Internet I can see there are DHCP settings for both Option 60 and Option 61 (see the bottom of the picture below).

I am not sure this is appeared with a recent firmware update but in any case NONE has been able to advise on how to configure the settings below for the Orbi to work as the PRIMARY router with Sky Broadband 😞Orbi.png 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully this may have been added to Orbi AX FW. FW are a bit different between Orbi AC and AX. 

Message 6 of 8
Daniel-UK
Apprentice

I have Orbi RBK53 (kit with 1 router + 2 satellites) with Router Firmware Version V2.5.2.4

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AX FW versions are different and may not have same features. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7