Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors on RBR850

ssylvan
Guide

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors on RBR850

So I've noticed that when I use my Orbi in router mode, I get a lot of DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors in chrome. The error flashes for a bout a second and then the page loads. This happens a couple of times per day (I'm wired on ethernet to the router).

This does not happen if I use my ISPs router directly. So it seems like something is busted related to DNS with the Orbi where it occasionally fails to resolve something but then fixes itself. I've tried using automatic DNS as well as manually letting it to Cloudflare's DNS, but no difference. I've also flushed DNS and rebooted everything on my computer but again no dice (and again, this is not an issue when I let my ISPs router do the actual router stuff and turn the Orbi into an AP).

Anyone have any ideas what this is about? I don't see anything in logs relating to this.

Message 1 of 9
Ace321
Apprentice

Re: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors on RBR850

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is IPv6 enabled on the RBR when in router mode? 

Does your ISP support IPv6 natively? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@ssylvan wrote:

So I've noticed that when I use my Orbi in router mode, I get a lot of DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors in chrome. The error flashes for a bout a second and then the page loads. This happens a couple of times per day (I'm wired on ethernet to the router).

This does not happen if I use my ISPs router directly. So it seems like something is busted related to DNS with the Orbi where it occasionally fails to resolve something but then fixes itself. I've tried using automatic DNS as well as manually letting it to Cloudflare's DNS, but no difference. I've also flushed DNS and rebooted everything on my computer but again no dice (and again, this is not an issue when I let my ISPs router do the actual router stuff and turn the Orbi into an AP).

Anyone have any ideas what this is about? I don't see anything in logs relating to this.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-lookup-failures-on-RBR850/m-p/2016769/high...

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is IPv6 enabled on the RBR when in router mode? 

Does your ISP support IPv6 natively? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@ssylvan wrote:

Message 4 of 9
ssylvan
Guide

I'm not sure what model the ONT is.. It doesn't have any labels or antyhing on it that I can see. It's the one Centurylink gives you I guess.

My ISP does not support IPv6, and it is disabled on the Orbi.

I just got a new Orbi on RMA because the old one died. So it was set up from scratch just a couple of weeks ago (part of the setup did perform an update).

Message 5 of 9
ssylvan
Guide

So trying one more thing that seems to work so far. If this holds it's kinda a workaround, but not really super acceptable in the long run.

So if I do ipconfig /all I see that the DNS is listed as 192.168.1.1,  i.e. the router. Meaning every DNS request goes to the router rather than to the DNS server directly (despite me putting 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 in the router settings). Maybe that's expected, I'm not sure. However, this made me realize that maybe I should just bypass that. So I went to the IPv4 connection settings in windows and set the DNS there to point to 1.1.1.1 etc. (rather than getting it automatically). Now DNS queries from my PC go directly to 1.1.1.1 without asking the router first. This appears to fix it so far. It's only been about 6h, but usually I would've seen an error by now. So I guess whatever the router does when it gets a DNS request is buggy, because now I can avoid it.

This obviously isn't great because it only avoids the issue on my PC, all my other devices will still see the same issue. But at least it mitigates the issue somewhat until netgear can come up with a fix. 

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, this has been already mentioned in the other threads. Using on device DNS configuration vs auto detect by the device thus getting a 192.168.1.1 address which by NG design defaults to router DNS addresss since NG uses this as there DNS proxy which can't be bypassed unless, you have done, input manual DNS on to your devices. 

IF your seeing better results with this configuration, please let NG know about this. 

Message 7 of 9
ssylvan
Guide

Well, setting the DNS in windows definitely seems to work. Obviously not a full solution, but confirms that there's an issue with Orbi's handling of DNS. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Someting to let NG know about. Hopefully they can fix this soon. Not much else we can do here in the forums. 

Some can try this work around as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-lookup-failures-on-RBR850/m-p/2016769/high...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7