Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS errors RBK753

eliea
Aspirant

Unfortunately I am still having the issue, the IP pass through did not solve the issue.
Message 51 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

My NG support ticket was escalated and will be forwarded that to engineering. I have been collecting logs for sending to NG engineering. Suprisingly they did not hear this issue from that many customers. I think they should monitor their communities as well. Hopefully we will have a fix soon.

Message 52 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

Attached is the error when connecting to bank of america bill pay page. Sometimes browser retries within 2-3 seconds and other times I have to hit reload for error page to disappear. 

Message 53 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you make contact with NG support about this and ask for additional help and information regarding this.

You can try configuring AP mode on your RBR 850 behind the ISP modem/router. 

@eliea wrote:
Unfortunately I am still having the issue, the IP pass through did not solve the issue.

Message 54 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Please keep in contact with NG support about this. Not much else we can do here in the forums. 

@Ace321 wrote:

My NG support ticket was escalated and will be forwarded that to engineering. I have been collecting logs for sending to NG engineering. Suprisingly they did not hear this issue from that many customers. I think they should monitor their communities as well. Hopefully we will have a fix soon.

Message 55 of 85
Nnyan
Tutor

Having the same issues with my RBK753. Have had various mesh and hardwired systems (Plume, Ubiquiti, Nest, Eero...) and have not had this issue (with the exception of a few bad UBNT firmware versions that were fairly quickly resolved). I have factory reset and tried a number of DNS options (including Comcast DNS). It affects wired and wireless clients seemingly randomly. It mostly affects the first time you go to a website but I have seen it happen to websites you have visited in the past. The error message is quick and then the page loads. Browsers do not affect the issue and all browsers are not running cached.

I don't have enough data on this but it seems that secured sites are affected more then unencrypted. I have also removed my PA-220 out of the loop and no effect.
Message 56 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you use the ISP Modem in router mode and the RBR in the modems DMZ? 

@Nnyan wrote:
Having the same issues with my RBK753. Have had various mesh and hardwired systems (Plume, Ubiquiti, Nest, Eero...) and have not had this issue (with the exception of a few bad UBNT firmware versions that were fairly quickly resolved). I have factory reset and tried a number of DNS options (including Comcast DNS). It affects wired and wireless clients seemingly randomly. It mostly affects the first time you go to a website but I have seen it happen to websites you have visited in the past. The error message is quick and then the page loads. Browsers do not affect the issue and all browsers are not running cached.

I don't have enough data on this but it seems that secured sites are affected more then unencrypted. I have also removed my PA-220 out of the loop and no effect.

Message 57 of 85
Nnyan
Tutor

I will have to try that but I did have the modem in router mode and the Orbi's in AP mode for almost a week when Comcast was sending me a new gateway and I don't recall having the problem then.   

Message 58 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

So your ISP gave you a different modem gateway? 

Message 59 of 85
Nnyan
Tutor

They upgraded me to the latest Advanced Gateway.  But I eliminated this as the issue as it works with other routers (not getting the weird dns errors).

Message 60 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I would keep in touch with NG support about this. Maybe something with Orbi AX and your ISP service that needs to be looked into. I don't see this with mine, though I'm on a different ISP and use a different modem. 

@Nnyan wrote:

They upgraded me to the latest Advanced Gateway.  But I eliminated this as the issue as it works with other routers (not getting the weird dns errors).

Message 61 of 85
eliea
Aspirant

NG are not responding to my case. After few calls It was escalated to L1 and still no response. And each time I call I have to go through the helpdesk then to the orbi team then the orbi team has to transfer me to the orbi ax team. Each time it is a 45 minutes wait.
Message 62 of 85
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you are familiar with using telnet to access your router you could test my workaround to check if the issue is the same

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-frequently-issuing-DNS-REFUSED-responses/m-p/1979751...

I have no dnsissus running for days now.

Message 63 of 85
Mstrbig
Master

No DNS issues here as well. 

Regarding the reported issues, it could be device issues. If a PC flush DNS, then set back up as DHCP. Because if one is using a static IP and the problem went away, flushing DNS may solve it. Also try resetting the network on the device.

Also DNSbenchmark is not totally accurate as the benchmarks will change daily, depending on traffic. Opendns is usually the slowest here. So it is best sometimes to use the ISP DNS servers as they have less overhead. 

One thing we are also doing now is enabling IPv6 and using a 3rd party IPv6 DNS. Several websites have gone to this and most ISPs do not support it. So this is a good way to support it on the user level. Then you can test it to see if it is working.

Message 64 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to keep in touch with them, even if it takes a while to get online with them. 

You can make contact with a forum moderator as well.

All in all, changes will take time to make if this is to be fixed. Will not happen over night. 

Try the telnet option if your confortable with that. Have one of the users help you with that. Might ask them to help you via Teamviewer. 

@eliea wrote:
NG are not responding to my case. After few calls It was escalated to L1 and still no response. And each time I call I have to go through the helpdesk then to the orbi team then the orbi team has to transfer me to the orbi ax team. Each time it is a 45 minutes wait.

Message 65 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I used to use Googles Nambbench years ago. However it kept saying my ISP has the fastest DNS so I've always used ISP DNS. I have tired quad 1 and 9 on occasion. Have not seen any DNS issues on my Orbi AX. Seems like this maybe a ISP DNS handling issue with some specific ISPs possibly or Orbi AX mis-configuration.

@Mstrbig wrote:

No DNS issues here as well. 

Regarding the reported issues, it could be device issues. If a PC flush DNS, then set back up as DHCP. Because if one is using a static IP and the problem went away, flushing DNS may solve it. Also try resetting the network on the device.

Also DNSbenchmark is not totally accurate as the benchmarks will change daily, depending on traffic. Opendns is usually the slowest here. So it is best sometimes to use the ISP DNS servers as they have less overhead. 

One thing we are also doing now is enabling IPv6 and using a 3rd party IPv6 DNS. Several websites have gone to this and most ISPs do not support it. So this is a good way to support it on the user level. Then you can test it to see if it is working.

Message 66 of 85
eliea
Aspirant

Senior advanced Technical support called yesterday and they said I did all possible solutions that they can think of. They will consult with higher team and get back to me today.I’ll keep you guys posted.
Message 67 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

Ok keep us posted. NG Sr. Support Engineer could not resolve it for me. She asked me to captured the logs and attach to my ticket. After I completed that step I was told that logs are forwarded to enineering. No news after that.

Message 68 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for letting us know. Glad NG seems to be working on this. 

@eliea wrote:
Senior advanced Technical support called yesterday and they said I did all possible solutions that they can think of. They will consult with higher team and get back to me today.I’ll keep you guys posted.

Message 69 of 85
ManuilTonev
Tutor

Hi, did you get anywhere with support on this? I have been getting ERR_CONNECTION_RESET errors intermittently ever since I switched from the WiFi of my ISP model to the WiFi on my Orbi RBR750 in October last year.

Message 70 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@ManuilTonev wrote:

Hi, did you get anywhere with support on this? I have been getting ERR_CONNECTION_RESET errors intermittently ever since I switched from the WiFi of my ISP model to the WiFi on my Orbi RBR750 in October last year.

Message 71 of 85
ManuilTonev
Tutor

Hi,

I have firmware v3.2.16.6_1.4.4 on the Orbi router. 

My ISP is Optimum Online.

The router model is: ALTICEONE_B58B

Thanks,

Manuil

Message 72 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you update to v12 to see if that version changes anything? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

Cant find any informaton on the modem model. Is that the model number printed on the sticker on the modem? 

@ManuilTonev wrote:

Hi,

I have firmware v3.2.16.6_1.4.4 on the Orbi router. 

My ISP is Optimum Online.

The router model is: ALTICEONE_B58B

Thanks,

Manuil

Message 73 of 85
ManuilTonev
Tutor

Thanks. I just updated to 3.2.17.12 but the problem persists. 

Optimum does not share much details on their box (maybe built/white labeld for them) but it is the one on this page: https://www.optimum.com/alticeone

I got the exact model from the Technical Information menu (press the Altice button on the cable remote, navigate to settings, technical info).

Here are pictures of what it looks like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=altice+one+wifi+box&sa=X&sxsrf=ALeKk02HQfbsyZ0xzyFgOg8a7rAAm9Qy7A:16...

Meanwhile, I talked to customer support for NG. They walked me through installing the 3.2.17.12 FW update and let me with instructions for performing a hardware reset, suggesting that I did not properly instlal the router (never mind I followed the app installation instructions to the t). I will try that as a next step but I am not holding my breath - the problem was there from the moment I turned on the Orbi router.

Message 74 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Possibe your ISP modem has a built in router...

@ManuilTonev wrote:

Thanks. I just updated to 3.2.17.12 but the problem persists. 

Optimum does not share much details on their box (maybe built/white labeld for them) but it is the one on this page: https://www.optimum.com/alticeone

I got the exact model from the Technical Information menu (press the Altice button on the cable remote, navigate to settings, technical info).

Here are pictures of what it looks like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=altice+one+wifi+box&sa=X&sxsrf=ALeKk02HQfbsyZ0xzyFgOg8a7rAAm9Qy7A:16...

Meanwhile, I talked to customer support for NG. They walked me through installing the 3.2.17.12 FW update and let me with instructions for performing a hardware reset, suggesting that I did not properly instlal the router (never mind I followed the app installation instructions to the t). I will try that as a next step but I am not holding my breath - the problem was there from the moment I turned on the Orbi router.

Message 75 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 84 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7