Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Device Naming on Orbi WiFi 6 vs Orbi WiFi 5 & in General

migsta
Apprentice

Device Naming on Orbi WiFi 6 vs Orbi WiFi 5 & in General

Just got the Orbi WiFi 6 RBK853 kit.  Issue with devices is present as it was with older RBK53 kit.  On the RBK53 kit, it was firmware fixed but surprisingly the newer Orbi 6 has the same issue.  List of device type selection on the iOS app is way less than what's on the web GUI yet the iOS app is what Netgears pushes as the better choice for using Orbi.  And, the changes made on the web GUI don't stick on specific devices.  So, basically stuck with choosing "Network Device" for device type on most devices in Orbi 6 as the other device types don't really apply (where are device types for smart speakers, sonos, smart plugs, smart watch, etc.) since they don't exist.  And, if you choose from the list of device types on the web gui (say device type Apple TV it will deflect to Network Device on teh app since this device type doesn't exist on the app.  When can we get this fixed?

Is there no QoS on Orbi 6.  I'm able to run a speedtest under that option but nothing else - can't turn it ON.

When is Armor coming for Orbi 6?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

QoS is automatic on Orbi AC and AX. It just runs a speed test is all. 

Try a different browser. I use Opera. 

NG doesn't post when new features are forth coming. It took Orbi AC a good year or two before it was finally intro'd there. You'll just have to keep an eye on FW update release notes as they come out. 

You can suggest your desires for Armor here though in mean time:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 8
migsta
Apprentice

I'm on the latest firmware for Orbi - V 3.2.9.2

Device naming and device types is a very fundamental function of any router - particularly, modern routers.  It should not take Netgear months or years to introducte a router that functions perfectly from the onset with respect to device naming and choosing device types.  This new router doesn't include the same device naming and device type choosing that Orbi WiFi 5 just fixed and modified years after releasing their original Orbi.  And, it's broken with respect to device naming and types sticking on the GUI side.  There's no excuse for not having this working properly as it's basic to router usage/functionality.

On th QoS side, what difference would I see with another browser (i.e. Opera) if I already just see the Speetest here and QoS is actually turned ON by default?

Any news on WPA3 or mixed WPA2/WPA3 mode?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have to contact NG support and let them know what your experiencing with the device naming. I'm not seeing this though mines in AP mode. 

QoS has been a automatic function only seems to be enabled once the speedtest is triggered. For users on 1Gb ISP services it's recommended to not run the speed test and there is some debate on weather QoS is really needed or not on these kinds of ISP services. I have this service and haven't seen any issues with not having QoS enabled on any of my routers I've tested. 

NG ran into problems with mixed WPA2 and WPA3. WPA3 is still in it's infancy so WPA3 needs to be fully developed and tested then certified for world wide use before router Mfrs can fully implement it. I presume once the bugs are fixed with WPA3 and those developers are done with it, then router mfrs will implement it as we need it to be. Until then, it is what it is. There isn't much support for WPA3 on the client HW side as of yet. Just Samsung and Apple iOS currently which mostly they in beta. I'm using iOS 13.3.1 currently and it doesn't connect when I set WPA3 on the RBR850. It' been reported to both NG and Apple. 

If Orbi AX isn't working for your needs or experiences, you may want to return it and wait for the FW to mature a bit more. 

Message 4 of 8
migsta
Apprentice

I believe you would most definitely be seeing/experiencing the same as me with respect to the minimal amount of Device Type choices in the iOS app vs the Device Type choices in the Web Gui.  There is just more choices on the Web GUI.  So, choosing a Device Type choice on the Web GUI, that does not exist on the iOS app, will result in the iOS app defaulting to Device Type Network Device.  They need to include ALL of the same devices on each side.  And, sometimes the GUI doesn't keep the Device Name chosen.  Again, you would see this as well as it would work the same for all.  You probably are just not as discerning when it comes to your Device Type choosing and Device Naming.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The iOS app differs from whats processed in FW. If your noticting issues with the app, please post about it in the Orbi app forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

That app as to cover the Orbi systems so there maybe some bugs with in the app itself. 

I don't use the app much accept to help verify functionality and basic operation of the app. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 8
migsta
Apprentice

There is a relationship between the iOS app and the Web GUI as devices updated on one get recognized by the other and vice versa.  But, this process is completely broken beginning with the fact that Device Types don't match between the two.  Again, the Web GUI has a ton more Device Type choices vs the iOS app.  This was fixed in Orbi WiFi 5 when they released the most current firmware.  The choices in Orbi WiFi 5 are vast in comparison to the choices in Orbi WiFi 6 for Device Type.  To my recollection, I've not updated the Orbi iOS app to see this change.

Why would Netgear release Orbi WiFi 6 with minimal Device Type selections?

Message 7 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

All I can say is we dont speak on behalf of Netgear.  We are just a bunch of folks trying to help each other based upon our experiences.  Rhetorical questions like this should be sent to Netgear, not the user community.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7