Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Double NAT / Strict NAT

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Double NAT / Strict NAT

Ok. 

Who is your ISP? 

Do you have access to the modems web page at 192.168.100.1? 

Message 26 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Cox is my ISP - Yes sir, I can log into my modem.

Message 27 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, you might factory reset the modem and RBR. Leave OFF the RBS for now. Just do a reset. Use a wired PC directly connected to the modem after it's reset and make sure it's in modem mode. I Think it should be by default. Your PC should get a ## IP address. If so, disconnect the PC and connect up the RBR and connect your wired PC to the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard and complete it. Don't add the RBS. After you complete the setup wizard, wired connect up one xbox. See what NAT status is has. If it's not OPEN, hold the front power button the xbox until it shuts off. Reboot the modem and RBR together. After the RBR is ready, power ON the xbox. NAT should be open here. 

Message 28 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Ok, factory reset the modem and router.

I have the RBS reset and offline, unplugged.

There isn't anyplace to set the modem to modem only since it's already a bridge modem.

Did a tracert and the first IP that hops is 10.##.###.#

*Now, going to fire up the Orbi and set it up.

Message 29 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya wondering if the modem is really bridged. Your PC should have got a ## IP address while connected to the modem. 

This maybe the problem. 

Message 30 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Well now we have a new issue. Modem will connect just fine to my PC but the Orbi isnt picking up the internet signal. Cannot connect through the app or the website.
Message 31 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to power OFF the modem for 30 seconds along with the Orbi. Connect the RBR. Power ON the ISP modem then power ON the RBR about 10 seconds later.

Message 32 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Yeah, that was user error...

So I have everything back up and running and OPEN NAT on the X-Box.  But, it usually gives me open NAT right after a reboot anyway.

I am going to go buy a different modem and a new Orbi.  I am not sure what the problem is but will keep you posted.  When I run a tracert now I am still getting the exact same hops so I am somewhat certain my open NAT will not last.

Message 33 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok.

Try turning on a 2nd Xbox while the first one on ON. OPEN NAT on 2nd Xbox? If so, try 3rd Xbox. 

Message 34 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Yep, it's whowing OPEN as well.  The third one is connected to my satellite so not going to start on that just yet but so far, the two on the router (wired & wi-fi) are open.

However, I did a test run of two seperate multiplayer games and they both were kicked mid match.  I don't think it's "staying" open, if that makes sense.

Any suggesstions on a good Docsis 3.1 cable modem for gig service?  I am going to stick with Orbi but going to replace the modem.

Looking at the NetGear Nighthawk CM1200.  Any thoughts?

Message 35 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Well, unfortunately we are right back to where we started. I replaced my Motorola modem with a Netgear CM1200. I exchanged my Orbi AX with the exact same unit, thinking I had a defective unit. I am still getting disconnected every 20 seconds on WiFi.

But hey, at least the double NAT problems seems to have gone away...
Message 36 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is loaded? 

What are the CTS and RTS values? Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347. Reboot both RBR and wireless devices. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

I wish you had not exchanged your prior Orbi AX with a new one. 

Message 37 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

FW is 3.2.9.2

CTS & RTS are set at 2347.

Distance is 30 feet or less, probably close to 20 feet.

After spending most of the weekend working on this, I thought I had the answer. I turned off the AX features, switched the NAT filtering to open and turned and disabled port monitoring/ dds protection. Seemed like everything was working fine, open NAT on all systems and I watched a 4K movie all the way through without a hitch.

Now today, we are getting Strict NAT on consoles again and frequent disconnects. The disconnects are happening on both WiFi PCs and hard wired PCs.
Message 38 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

I saw strict NAT with this version while in router mode. Why I ran mine in AP mode. Any versions sans v10.11 cause strict NAT issues while in router mode. 

Setting NAT Filter to OPEN doesn't work. I've had a bug report on this since the beginning. NG still hasn't fixed it. Smiley Frustrated

Where are you streaming the 4K movie? On xbox? If so, Try this, take one device and disable uPnP and set a IP address reservation on your xbox. Then input this IP address into the RBRs DMZ. 

Reboot the RBR and again hold the xbox front power button until it turns off. After the RBR is back online, power ON the xbox and check NAT status. Be sure all other consoles or OFF. Or do this for the streaming device your using to stream the 4K. 

Message 39 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

No sir, was streaming through a Fire Stick. Although I am at work today, my family has told me of a LOT of disconnects throughout the day. Its happening on wifi PCs, hard wired PCs, wifi Xbox, hard wired xbox. If the issue isnt resolved by the end of the week, I am just going to pull the trigger on a different brand. Its ridiculous to have so many issues on a $700 piece of equipment. I have always been an Orbi supporter but I just cannot keep "power cycling" or doing complete factory resets over and over.
Message 40 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. Hope you find something that works well for you. 

Message 41 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

So since the new FW was updated last night I am very happy to report that everything was stable last night and been going strong since. Although I am still getting double NAT / Strict NAT, the disconnects every 20 minutes seems to have been solved.

I will work on fixes for the NAT issues but the disconnects that were driving me nuts has gone away.
Message 42 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the NAT issue with the RBS being online and the consoles connecting thru it or directly to the RBR?

Message 43 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

I get it on all three consoles. My son is telling me that a workaround to the issue is to go into XBox settings and manually changing the port. Not ideal but it seems to work.

One console hard wired to RBR.
One console hard wired to RBS.
One console through RBS wifi.
Message 44 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, possible uPnP issued between Orbi and the consoles. I know I have two however they are one separate networks. 

Do manually changing ports on each gets OPEN NAT on each of the consoles? 

Message 45 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Yes, after changing ports manually (he keeps selecting random ports until NAT shows open) it works. He has done this on all three consoles.

Like I said, it's not ideal and we've never had to do this before, but it IS a working work-around.
Message 46 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, great information. I'll forward this on the NG. I know there is some problems with xbox NAT and Orbi AX. This is a uPnP and NAT Filter issue. NAT Filter set to OPEN would be helpful unfortunately it's not working at the moment. I think once NG gets that fixed, then you won't have to manually set ports on consoles. 

Message 47 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Excellent, my son is a smarter guy than I am and he has a much larger interest in the XBox working than I do. If there is any further info that we could provide that might help NG just let me know.
Message 48 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Of course. Having two xboxes here is important to have good working systems. NAT status and CoD is priority. Smiley Very Happy

I posted a link to this in the bug report I have going and gave some feedback. Hoping NG will look into this. 

Message 49 of 61
ZOOShen
Star

How do you know it is a double NAT issue, because you are kicked off from the game?

This firmware has know problem of disconnecting from many games. The easiest way temporary is turn on your cable modem routing (rather than bridge mode), and put Obri AX into AP mode.

Message 50 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 60 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7