Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Download Drops to Nothing Occasionally with RBK852

One-Eye
Aspirant

Download Drops to Nothing Occasionally with RBK852

I own a RBK852, which is the mesh router and a single satellite. The router sits alongside my modem in my office on the 2nd floor, which is right next to the stairs leading down to the 1st floor. The satellite is on the 3rd floor where my wife usually teaches her students remotely.

My wife used to have constant issues with Zoom with three other routers before finally settling on the Orbi. Now she doesn't have problems when she's on the 3rd floor.

One odd thing that both of us noticed, though, is when she moves to the 1st floor, her connection will drop out the bottom. A speed test sees her download speed <1mbps. I rebooted her laptop but it didn't fix it. I then decided to do a speed test on our Xbox on the 1st floor, which we stream 4K video on, and this had the same issues with download speed. At this point I decided to reboot Orbi and after it came back up, we were seeing speed of at least >100mbps.

This isn't the 1st time this has happened to my wife's laptop and the previous times, rebooting Orbi did the trick.

We're generally happy with the product but this is a big pain though to have to do every time. It's also annoying since Orbi was not an inexpensive piece of technology.

The firmware version we're running is V3.2.16.6_1.4.4. It's the latest according to the app.

My wife's network adapter is running on AC, not AX, too.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Download Drops to Nothing Occasionally with RBK852

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

How close to the modem is the RBR sitting? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 8
One-Eye
Aspirant

My ISP is Comcast and the modem is my own Motorola MB8600.

The RBR sits inches away from the modem.

Three story town house that is appromixatemly 1700 sq ft.

I'm not sure the actual distance between the router and the satellite since it goes through floors. I would think around 30 feet.

Everything is set to default but I'll fool around with the settings.

I live in a city so I have plenty of wifi neighbors.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

"Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices."

Message 4 of 8
One-Eye
Aspirant

The same thing happened again yesterday. My wife moved from her desk on the 3rd floor to just somewhere else in her office and her speed went <1Mbps. I was busy with work so forgot to check the wifi in general but this is becoming really annoying. All of the solutions or tips so far should have nothing to do with the cause of this issue. It seems to be tied directly to my wife's laptop. Almost like it does a denial of serive against Orbi and just kills the wifi.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Did she turn OFF the wifi radio then back ON again after she had moved locations? 

Message 6 of 8
One-Eye
Aspirant

My wife simply moved 5-10 feet away from her desk that she had been teaching at all day. That's when her speed dropped under 1Mbps and verified it using a speed test. She then came to the 1st floor where her speed continued to be abysmal. I then turned off and turned back on her wifi. I also did a `ipconfig /release` and `ipconfig /renew`. Both things did not release the issue. I then rebooted Orbi and her speed when to >300Mbps.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model of the LT and the mfr and model# of the wifi adapter with in the LT?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7