Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Factory Reset Procedures

Chuck_M
Mentor

Factory Reset Procedures

My AX6000 had been working pretty solid for months.  Back in July I started having log issues as well as the internal speed test stopped working on both the web gui as well as the app.  this may have coincided with a FW update... I dont specifically recall.

Last night I did a factory reset after making screen captures of all the setting screens.  Speed testing and other issues are resolved.

As I understand it, After a factory reset, it doesnt do any good to restore saved configurations because you may restore something that was causing issues before the factory reset.  (e.g. it restores far more than just settings you see in the GUI)

Question for discussion:  Is there any procedure or technique to streamline/fasttrack the "rebuild" process -- e.g. is there anyway to retain items like port forwarding, reserved IP addresses, renamed devices, etc so that one doesn't have to reenter all of that again?

Because of the number of times we see "Factory Reset" as a solution to enduring issues, it may make sense to have a menu item that would do that on a "light" level as well that would retain basic config settings while resetting the deeper internal variables, etc.

-

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Annomalies maybe seen if you graduate FW versions to another and you created backup files on previous versions of FW. The is always a small risk here. You shouldn't see any annomalies while using backup files in the same FW version. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Advanced tab/Advaced/Admiistration/Backup Settings/Backup should be used for backing up the RBR. This saves time if a reset is needed. You can have several backups as well. In stages. Clean backup with nothing configured or enabled, one with configurations. One with Armor enabled, AP mode configuration, etc. 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

it does stink having to do the manual rebuild process. Especially when you're resetting or replacing the router frequently. At least monthly I'm changing something out and its caused me to streamline/limit how much advanced routing features I use. 

but the idea's a good one in having something like a full backup option or partial backup. I have no idea how implementing something like that would go though 🙂 

and sadly, we'd still end up telling people that they could try that backup option and if it didn't help to go back to the full manual install. 

Message 3 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

I was under the (misunderstanding) that a backup could carry forward anomalies...   (e.g. internal variables - not to be confused with GUI settings.)  Is that not true?

Thanks for clarification if so.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

I think @FURRYe38 is just stating you can do multiple backups. One with each of the settings/ configurations you want. 

I've had people on here that had devices work find until backups were restored. Its why I usually recommend a manual install process if there's any issues with firmware. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Annomalies maybe seen if you graduate FW versions to another and you created backup files on previous versions of FW. The is always a small risk here. You shouldn't see any annomalies while using backup files in the same FW version. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7