Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feature request: Ability to configure DHCP server to hand out custom DNS server

arlomike
Apprentice

Feature request: Ability to configure DHCP server to hand out custom DNS server

Currently, the DHCP server hands out the DNS IP of the router.  Pls allow the ability to specify a custom DNS server IP to its' DHCP clients.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Feature request: Ability to configure DHCP server to hand out custom DNS server

Please post about this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

FYI, its been long standing design of NG routers to use a proxy or DNS relay from router to clients. Not sure if NG will ever change this. 

Message 2 of 4
arlomike
Apprentice

I see... if it's long standing, it appears that this feature will not be added.  Not sure why.. prob a 10 min fix.  Might be worth looking to enable telnet into the router and modify the DHCP config or I'll have to just use my own DHCP server.  

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Well tell net isn't supported on orbi AX. It was in the early days. NG has since removed it. 

Seen this with many NG routers over the years.They seem to want to process all DNS thru the router.

One thing I like about D-Link routers, they offer this feature and you can disable DNS Relay on there routers. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7