Reply

Re: Guest Network is slow

mbarylski
Tutor

Guest Network is slow

I'm having problems with the guest network. The connection is fine, and speeds show that everything is working, but apps aren't connecting. It's really slow or buffers forever. There don't seem to be very many settings available to configure, so I'm not sure what else I can do to fix it. Any suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Guest Network is slow

What model Orbi do you have?

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 49
vajim
Master

Re: Guest Network is slow


@mbarylski wrote:

I'm having problems with the guest network. The connection is fine, and speeds show that everything is working, but apps aren't connecting. It's really slow or buffers forever. There don't seem to be very many settings available to configure, so I'm not sure what else I can do to fix it. Any suggestions?


What firmware do you have on your  RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router?

 

modem?

Message 3 of 49
mbarylski
Tutor

Re: Guest Network is slow

I have the RBR850 with the latest firmware connected to Verizon Fios. It seems to work off and on. Not sure why. If I disconnect and reconnect the WiFi guest network it works, but it doesn't persist. After awhile it stops working and I have to drop the connection and reconnect again.

Message 4 of 49
vajim
Master

Re: Guest Network is slow


@mbarylski wrote:

I have the RBR850 with the latest firmware connected to Verizon Fios. It seems to work off and on. Not sure why. If I disconnect and reconnect the WiFi guest network it works, but it doesn't persist. After awhile it stops working and I have to drop the connection and reconnect again.


You need to update your signature file

 

what type of modem.     Model?   Built in WiFi ?

Message 5 of 49
mbarylski
Tutor

Re: Guest Network is slow

What do you mean update my signature line? With what? Model of my orbi?

 

The modem is the Verizon Fios ONT. It's all built in to their outside box, and the CAT6 just runs to the Orbi. So all I have is the Orbi, and WiFi is coming from the Orbi.

 

Btw, I noticed that switching WiFi on and off doesn't always work either. I have to switch off the private connection and switch it back on.

Message 6 of 49
vajim
Master

Re: Guest Network is slow


@mbarylski wrote:

What do you mean update my signature line? With what? Model of my orbi?

 

The modem is the Verizon Fios ONT. It's all built in to their outside box, and the CAT6 just runs to the Orbi. So all I have is the Orbi, and WiFi is coming from the Orbi.

 

Btw, I noticed that switching WiFi on and off doesn't always work either. I have to switch off the private connection and switch it back on.


look at your first post it says........."Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router"

 

https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/orbi-install...

 

 

https://kb.netgear.com/31100/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-system-to-work-with-Fios

Message 7 of 49
mbarylski
Tutor

Re: Guest Network is slow

Yea, I know, because Netgear doesn't list the model I have as an option. Not much I can do about that. I believe the 50 is the same as the 850 though which is why Netgear isn't listing a separate model.

 

Appreciate the links, but I've already set up Orbi with Fios. It works fine. It's the guest network that doesn't work reliably. There's nothing in the documentation that talks about how to specifically configure the guest network. It does seem though that the documentation shows more options than what's actually available though, which is odd. 

 

Any idea why connection via the guest network is unreliable?

Message 8 of 49
vajim
Master

Re: Guest Network is slow


@mbarylski wrote:

Yea, I know, because Netgear doesn't list the model I have as an option. Not much I can do about that. I believe the 50 is the same as the 850 though which is why Netgear isn't listing a separate model.

 

Appreciate the links, but I've already set up Orbi with Fios. It works fine. It's the guest network that doesn't work reliably. There's nothing in the documentation that talks about how to specifically configure the guest network. It does seem though that the documentation shows more options than what's actually available though, which is odd. 

 

Any idea why connection via the guest network is unreliable?


no...the 850 is a WIFI6 model...different beast

 

https://kb.netgear.com/31579/How-do-I-set-up-a-guest-network-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 9 of 49
mbarylski
Tutor

Re: Guest Network is slow


@vajim wrote:

@mbarylski wrote:

Yea, I know, because Netgear doesn't list the model I have as an option. Not much I can do about that. I believe the 50 is the same as the 850 though which is why Netgear isn't listing a separate model.

 

Appreciate the links, but I've already set up Orbi with Fios. It works fine. It's the guest network that doesn't work reliably. There's nothing in the documentation that talks about how to specifically configure the guest network. It does seem though that the documentation shows more options than what's actually available though, which is odd. 

 

Any idea why connection via the guest network is unreliable?


no...the 850 is a WIFI6 model...different beast

 

https://kb.netgear.com/31579/How-do-I-set-up-a-guest-network-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System


Am I in the wrong forum then? I can't seem to find the correct place to post.

Message 10 of 49
vajim
Master

Re: Guest Network is slow

if you have the 850...you're in the right forum...

Message 11 of 49
mbarylski
Tutor

Re: Guest Network is slow


@vajim wrote:

if you have the 850...you're in the right forum...


Ok, thanks. Any suggestions on how to get some help with this one? I can't open a ticket with Netgear cause my support expired, but this seems like a bug.

Message 12 of 49
Mikey94025
Prodigy

Re: Guest Network is slow


@mbarylski wrote:

I'm having problems with the guest network. The connection is fine, and speeds show that everything is working, but apps aren't connecting. It's really slow or buffers forever. There don't seem to be very many settings available to configure, so I'm not sure what else I can do to fix it. Any suggestions?


What kind of device are you seeing this problem and are you having this guest network problem with one or many devices (phones)?  Does this problemmatic device work just fine when connected to the regular wifi instead of the Guest wifi?

 

What settings have you changed from the Orbi defaults?  

 

Try this:

  1. Go to the web admin interface at http://orbilogin.com
  2. In the Basic tab, click on Guest
  3. Try changing Security Options between "WPA2-PSK [AES]" (recommended) and "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]"

Another thing to consider if you're still having issues and your Guest network issue is with 2.4ghz - In my experience the following improves Orbi AX wireless compatibility with older 2.4Ghz devices:

  1. At orbilogin.com, go to the Advanced tab, Advanced... Wireless Settings
  2. Set CTS/RTS Threshold for both bands to 2347

 

 

Message 13 of 49
mbarylski
Tutor

Re: Guest Network is slow


@Mikey94025 wrote:

@mbarylski wrote:

I'm having problems with the guest network. The connection is fine, and speeds show that everything is working, but apps aren't connecting. It's really slow or buffers forever. There don't seem to be very many settings available to configure, so I'm not sure what else I can do to fix it. Any suggestions?


What kind of device are you seeing this problem and are you having this guest network problem with one or many devices (phones)?  Does this problemmatic device work just fine when connected to the regular wifi instead of the Guest wifi?

 

What settings have you changed from the Orbi defaults?  

 

Try this:

  1. Go to the web admin interface at http://orbilogin.com
  2. In the Basic tab, click on Guest
  3. Try changing Security Options between "WPA2-PSK [AES]" (recommended) and "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]"

Another thing to consider if you're still having issues and your Guest network issue is with 2.4ghz - In my experience the following improves Orbi AX wireless compatibility with older 2.4Ghz devices:

  1. At orbilogin.com, go to the Advanced tab, Advanced... Wireless Settings
  2. Set CTS/RTS Threshold for both bands to 2347

I appear to be having issues with all devices. I first tried with iPhones and those will connect sometimes, but require switching private connection on and off. I just tried with my day-to-day Android and it doesn't get an Internet connection at all, but it works on the regular WiFi. 

 

I did try the different security options, but that didn't work either. I didn't change the CTS/RTS threshold, because I'm testing on a WiFi 6 Samsung Galaxy S20.

 

So strange that I'm not getting any internet connection. Does the guest network work for you?

Message 14 of 49
Mikey94025
Prodigy

Re: Guest Network is slow


@mbarylski wrote:

So strange that I'm not getting any internet connection. Does the guest network work for you?


Yes, my guest network works just fine.  I can't think of what could cause devices to not connect to the internet or be slow via your Guest wifi, but work fine on your regular wifi.

 

At this point doing a Factory Reset and starting over may be recommended and to ensure everything is cleanly setup again.

 

 

 

Message 15 of 49
mbarylski
Tutor

Re: Guest Network is slow


@Mikey94025 wrote:

@mbarylski wrote:

So strange that I'm not getting any internet connection. Does the guest network work for you?


Yes, my guest network works just fine.  I can't think of what could cause devices to not connect to the internet or be slow via your Guest wifi, but work fine on your regular wifi.


Are you using Access Control? Maybe that's what's interferring with mine.

Message 16 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Guest Network is slow

I would factory reset the RBR. Turn OFF the RBS for now. Setup the RBR and don't enable Access Controls, Armor, or Traffic Meter. Setup Guest network, you might set OPEN security first temporarily. Then connect your devices and see how the performance is. Then enable WPA2 and AES only and retest. See how the performance is...

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 17 of 49
bdsmith63
Tutor

Re: Guest Network is

I just setup the new RBK753 AX4200 Mesh System, did not enable Traffic Meter or Access Control, Armor is enabled.

 

Regular WiFi network is working excellent, no hiccups.  Had two of my kids over last night, one had their MacBook Pro laptop connected, their Samsung Galaxy Note (WiFi6) and my son's iPhone 11.  All devices connected to my Guest Network were having issues, could get connected, they would loose connection or be slow, same issues as above, there must be something going on with the latest firmware version on all these Orbi Mesh systems with the guest network.  Being I bought a new system, I should be able to open a ticket with support?

 

This is VERY frustrating.  I ended up connecting their devices to my regular WiFi and perfect connections with no issues.  (I had this same issue with the RBS50/RBR50 AC3000 System).

Message 18 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Guest Network is

Please open a support ticket. 

Also contact a forum moderator and ask about a beta that is available to see if this helps any. 

@Christian_R 


@bdsmith63 wrote:

I just setup the new RBK753 AX4200 Mesh System, did not enable Traffic Meter or Access Control, Armor is enabled.

 

Regular WiFi network is working excellent, no hiccups.  Had two of my kids over last night, one had their MacBook Pro laptop connected, their Samsung Galaxy Note (WiFi6) and my son's iPhone 11.  All devices connected to my Guest Network were having issues, could get connected, they would loose connection or be slow, same issues as above, there must be something going on with the latest firmware version on all these Orbi Mesh systems with the guest network.  Being I bought a new system, I should be able to open a ticket with support?

 

This is VERY frustrating.  I ended up connecting their devices to my regular WiFi and perfect connections with no issues.  (I had this same issue with the RBS50/RBR50 AC3000 System).


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 19 of 49
mbarylski
Tutor

Re: Guest Network is

Yes, you definitely can open a ticket. Sadly, my free support period has ended so I'm not able to open a ticket. I hope you do though so they can fix this issue.

Keep us posted. 😁
Message 20 of 49
bdsmith63
Tutor

Re: Guest Network is

I will definitely open a ticket as soon as I can get to it.  Thanks and will keep you all posted.

Message 21 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Guest Network is

Have you reached out to a forum moderator? Please ask about a beta version of FW.

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 


@mbarylski wrote:
Yes, you definitely can open a ticket. Sadly, my free support period has ended so I'm not able to open a ticket. I hope you do though so they can fix this issue.

Keep us posted. 😁

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 22 of 49
bdsmith63
Tutor

Re: Guest Network is


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please open a support ticket. 

Also contact a forum moderator and ask about a beta that is available to see if this helps any. 

 

Thanks, I will follow-up on this, who do I reach out to the forum moderator?

Message 23 of 49
bdsmith63
Tutor

Re: Guest Network is


@bdsmith63 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please open a support ticket. 

Also contact a forum moderator and ask about a beta that is available to see if this helps any. 

 

Thanks, I will follow-up on this, who do I reach out to the forum moderator?

 

I figured it out -- messages have been sent to the moderators!


 

Message 24 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Guest Network is

Select there user name and then send them a message on there profile page. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 25 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 48 replies
  • 597 views
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements