Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help Please... Wifi 6 with 4G Lte Failover

Warlord888
Aspirant

Help Please... Wifi 6 with 4G Lte Failover

Hello all,

My smarthome is expanding and now my existing Nighthawk X10 R9000 is failing to keep up, unfortunately.

I've done the Netgear "Find my Orbi Router" questions...

It appears I need to upgrade to the Netgear Wifi 6 AX6000 (RBK853) setup (2 satellites) but I also wanted to have a failover to 4G LTE

What's the best, and most reliable way, to add a 4G LTE (or 3G) failover to the above Netgear Wifi 6 setup?

Thank you.

Steve

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Help Please... Wifi 6 with 4G Lte Failover

Something that isn't suported on Orbi systems or most any home class router. 

Failover is mainly for business or enterprise class environments. You'll need to check into one of these classes for failover features.

Good Luck. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Something that isn't suported on Orbi systems or most any home class router. 

Failover is mainly for business or enterprise class environments. You'll need to check into one of these classes for failover features.

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 9
Warlord888
Aspirant

Just to add...

Reason I'm looking at the (RBK853) Wifi 6 setup is mainly due to the amount of Smarthome Devices we have here now...  it's too many I think now for the current X10 R9000 router to handle.

- 10 x 1080p Camera Streaming

- 3 x PS5 Games Consoles (replacing current PS4 games consoles)

- 3 x Laptops

- 4 x Mobile Phones

- 4 x Tablets

- 1 x Heating

- 6 x Alexa's

- 2 x IP Voip Phones

- 25 x LED Smart Lights

- 1 x Backup Security System

- 8 x Smoke Alarm Detectors

- 1 x LightwaveRF sockets/switches/Hub

- 2 x 4K Smart TV's

- 10 x Various internet devices (AVR Amp, Printers, Air Quality Monitors, Doorbells, etc)

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Thats a lot, ya I would say and orbi system with at least two RBS. Three maybe, howver placement and distance will need to be observed. 

Message 4 of 9
Warlord888
Aspirant

It's a relatively small 3 bedroom detached house in the UK, but my main issues are volume of IP addresses and the sheer amount of devices connected at any one time.

The satellites would most likely be no more than 20 feet apart from each other.

The reason why I was looking at 2 satellites and not one, was mainly because I need to hardwire my IP Phones into the main router in my office.  There's a 'black spot' right in the middle of the house on the 1st floor (the boiler room) which is has alloy heat shielded walls.  It causes connectivity issues between the Kitchen and the current router position.

I was then going to hardwire my TV and PS5 into another satellite in the Living Room

I was then going to hardware my Sons PS5 into another satellite in his bedroom

Basically we still enjoy gaming and I wanted the best / fastest speeds for us all without compromising anything

Steve 

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

"The satellites would most likely be no more than 20 feet apart from each other." RBS need to be out 30 feet or more. The wifi signal on Orbi systems are fairly powerful. Any closer and this causes problems on the system. 

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Options? 

The R7100LG has failover mode. 

You could use that as the router (disabled its wifi) and connect the orbi system to it in AP (access point) mode. 

That gives you failover to 4g lte

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7100LG.aspx

Message 7 of 9
Warlord888
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

"The satellites would most likely be no more than 20 feet apart from each other." RBS need to be out 30 feet or more. The wifi signal on Orbi systems are fairly powerful. Any closer and this causes problems on the system. 

Ok, so do you know if there is a less powerful router that can handle Wifi 6 and the amount of devices we have?

Or would it just be better to have a 1 satellite setup positioned 30 feet away on the lower floor

EDIT:  I found a comment on Google that suggested:-

"The router and satellite should be at least 30 feet apart. If you can't get them further apart, go to "Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Setting" on the router, where you can try lowering the Transmit power on both bands."

Is this above statement true?

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can do that, turn down the power. 

I would check with the cell service provider to see if they support this model router:

https://www.netgear.com/images/pdf/R7100LG_DS_22Mar16.pdf

Make sure cell provider supports this before you buy...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7