Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How is there no QoS configuration on the top-end AX6000 devices?

d1mmy
Apprentice

How is there no QoS configuration on the top-end AX6000 devices?

The "automatic" QoS management on my RBK852 system is terrible and there seems to be no way for an end-user to manually invoke any settings to improve it.  I have a large NAS that syncs to cloud backup systems and for whatever reason, my Orbi router is prioritizing that traffic above, or at the very least equal to, basically everything else.  Because this can easily saturate my upstream bandwidth, prioritizing that traffic has the effect of severely degrading my internet service.  When I go into the QoS settings, there is literally nothing there other than a speed test link.  Am I missing something, or have Netgear released this WiFi system without any user-configurable QoS settings!?

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

There isn't on Orbi systems. It's all automatic. Been like this since Orbi first appeared. 

Message 2 of 13
d1mmy
Apprentice

Ugh.  I wish I'd seen a review that stated as much before I purchased this system.  It wouldn't be a problem if Netgear's auto-QoS worked well, but it does not.  I've had to completely pause my NAS syncing during waking hours as a workaround, but even then it still interferes with my IoT devices overnight.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

How do you have yoru NAS connected? 

Is the NAS going backup from devices on the LAN side or to the WAN? 

NAS shouldn't interfere with any wifi devices. Mines doesn't however I don't do backups over wireless either. All my backups are wired with wired PCs. I also have my NAS connnected to a switch thats connected behind my router. All wired PCs are connected together on this switch with the NAS. 

Message 4 of 13
d1mmy
Apprentice

My NAS is wired directly into the main router.  It's not interfering with (just) WiFi, it's interfering with other wired devices as well because its being allowed to fully saturate my upload bandwidth, causing QoS issues on all other devices on the network.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So you are doing backups from the NAS to the WAN side? 

Message 6 of 13
d1mmy
Apprentice

Yes, I'm backing up my local NAS across the internet.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, something I would avoid but thats me. 

What was the prior router you were using before Orbi AX?

Message 8 of 13
d1mmy
Apprentice

I previously had the Google WiFi system.  It was less troublesome, though it was annoying to configure (had to be done through a phone) and I was expecting that Netgear would be better on that front.  Every single router I've used since around 2006 has had more powerful QoS configuration settings than the non-existent QoS settings on the Orbi AX6000 system.  It's not even something I thought could be a problem at this point.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Well since the advent of Smart Connect on Wifi and other router mfr I've seen and have experience with over the years, seems like more mfr are going and have been headed towards a less advanced UI and doing a more simplistic UI. D-Link and NG are a couple. I have an ASUS that still is fully featured however even there QoS is not quite advanced anymore and is mostly input a device in a High, Medium or Low section and you done. Yes I remember days of my D-Link DGL-4500 having the ability to specify a bandwidth values. Lots of configurations were seen back then. Now days QoS is mostly automatic or on some routers, you can set a priority however the selections are limited. Was a great router. 

You might look into seeing if you can configure the NAS for any kind of bandwidth configurations as well for WAN transmissions. If the NAS is saturating your LAN and WAN, might be something you can check out there. I would also consider installing a LAN switch as well with the NAT and wired PCs connected to it may help as well segment off NAS traffic from the rest of the network. 

Message 10 of 13
kildare
Luminary

Actually there are still routers that have full QoS configuration, like the one I use...

QoS Cisco 

I personally prefer using the Wifi system as a separate Access Point along with a full featured WAN router/firewall.

@d1mmy wrote:

I previously had the Google WiFi system.  It was less troublesome, though it was annoying to configure (had to be done through a phone) and I was expecting that Netgear would be better on that front.  Every single router I've used since around 2006 has had more powerful QoS configuration settings than the non-existent QoS settings on the Orbi AX6000 system.  It's not even something I thought could be a problem at this point.

Message 11 of 13
d1mmy
Apprentice

Yes, I assumed that QoS was something that almost all consumer routers have at this point, especially at the high-end.  I may switch to Synology or Ubiquiti since they seem geared more toward prosumers who actually care to manage their networks.  It's just shocking because Netgear advertise the power of the hardware in their AX6000 with tons of RAM and multi-core CPUs, but what is the point of having all that power if they don't have any software features?

Message 12 of 13
kildare
Luminary

"Power is nothing without control"

(cit. from Pirelli)"

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7