Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How much faster/better aer the Wifi 6 orbis vs. older one?

Rikerrock
Tutor

How much faster/better aer the Wifi 6 orbis vs. older one?

I have the older orbi three unit system from costco Rbr50 i think with two sats.  All gigabit wired to eachother.  How much better is the orbi ax in same wiring setup.

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Well the wifi is definately faster, however if you wire connect the RBS8 series then the speed would be around the same as the Orbi AC since the ethernet ports are 1000Mbps for both systems. So even though the connect rate is faster between the RBS and what ever your wifi device is, the wired speed will be 1000Mbps. 

Message 2 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

Also consider what devices you own that are actually compatible with WiFi 6, e.g., very recent laptops or phones like iPhone 11 and SE.  Such devices will conceivably have a higher speed connecting to the Orbi base/satellite.  However, realize that such throughput differences are unlikely to make a difference in your everyday use unless you have throughput problems today.

Message 3 of 11
Rikerrock
Tutor

I don't believe I have anything that is wifi 6 as far as devices go right now, but will in future, but is it more stable and consistant?  Is the orbi filled with issues like I've had with the current older one?  Will the addon sats of the old work with the new system?

Message 4 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@Rikerrock wrote:

I don't believe I have anything that is wifi 6 as far as devices go right now, but will in future, but is it more stable and consistant?  Is the orbi filled with issues like I've had with the current older one?  Will the addon sats of the old work with the new system?

I upgraded from RBR50 to RBR850.  I would not assume the newer model is more stable and consistent - In fact, newer technology is often plagued with more firmware and other issues because they haven't yet worked out all the kinks.  If you want stability, go for recent technology where you have many more reviews and customer feedback to base your opinions on (every product has people with bad experiences and bad reviews so it's a matter of you evaluating the percentage of such and taking that relative risk).

In particular, the Orbi AX systems have compatibility issues with some older wifi devices necessitating manual settings changes like CTS/RTS threshold to 2347.  This worked well for almost all my devices but others here have resorted even disabling AX mode (on their new AX router!).  There are also less admin settings on Orbi AX than Orbi AC, like not being able to turn off the SSID broadcast (to help with setting up some IoT devices that don't like the 5Ghz band sharing the SSID with 2.4Ghz).

I haven't tried this myself, but I've read here that the older Orbi AC satellites apparently work with the new Orbi AX system only if you hardwire them.  At this time they cannot work wireless like the AX satellites.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Each system has it's own oddities. Something you can try out for your self and see. 

AT this time, Orbi AC RBS are not wirelessly compatible with Orbi AX. You can connect them wired however you may see odd issues. 

Orbi AX has had it's own growing pains since last year. FW is getting better and currently seems to be better. Were waiting on next update as this has some fixes for bugs I reported a while go. Smiley Wink

@Rikerrock wrote:

Message 6 of 11
nakenergy
Guide

I went from AC3000 to AX5700 (costco model) and there is at least 100 mb + increase in speeds which is noticeable on my wifi 5 machines. For wi fi 6, there is a lot of difference as I can go to almost 700 - 800 mbs on my iphone pro max. Not sure congestion wise, as I have 30 devices and have not had any drops or issues. It has been solid so far. The 2.4 band speed has also improved so overall improvement is there and is noticeable.

Message 7 of 11
Rikerrock
Tutor

Did you notice any of your devices having issues with the differences in settings?  I have some devices that will only deal with the 2.4ghz band.

Message 8 of 11
Rikerrock
Tutor

Also, are they hardwired to eachother or are you just relying on the wifi mesh? 

Message 9 of 11
nakenergy
Guide

no I have not observed any issues with devices - 2.4 ones included. What issues are you having?

Message 10 of 11
nakenergy
Guide

I was able to hardwire so I hardwired even though the theoritical speed with wireless is 2400 compared to 1000 ethernet connection. However, since you have to start with wireless backhaul first before hard wiring, I noticed that the speeds were also faster than AC3000 with wireless backhaul.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7