Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hrs on this...

BiGMERF
Apprentice

Hrs on this...

Mind you I am not a networking wiz

right now I have an ax6000 setup.  Cost me $750 with tax.. runs decent, everyone

ce in a while I get a drop or two. But it's been pretty stable.. my return window closes 10/21. I got the system because my last mesh system ( Samsung connect ) was five years old and my many many devices was starting to tax her resources.  I currently show 65 devices connected and at its busiest it can reach 70. 

Now, I do not have any Ethernet wiring running through my home.  But I can get it done for $250.  So I'm starting to think that maybe taking back the ax6000. Using the 250 for the wiring and getting the ax4200 for 500.   Essentially spending the same amount

but with this setup I would be able to run a backhaul on the 4200.  Would that be a better setup ? In you guys opinion ?

setup would run ont -> modem -> unmanaged network switch -> satellite 

thioghts ? 

Message 1 of 9
BiGMERF
Apprentice

Sorry for the misspells.  I should have double checked before hitting post.  Won't let me edit.  Ugh 

Message 2 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

I would not change what you have now.  First, don't change something that is working (there's always the risk that it makes it worse or you run into new issues).  Second, there is newer Wi-Fi 6 technology coming (6E) so better to wait and upgrade to a newer tech once it is available and also stable vs. downgrading.  Your current system offers better flexibility than depending on wired and it's unlikely that your throughput is limited due to wired vs. wireless backhaul.  Many of us run wireless backhaul just fine and have the convenience of placing our satellites anywhere and adding as we go along.  The newer AX systems may also be more particular than AC about having too many satellites or too close to each other (possible, suggested interference) further limiting you on your ability and flexibility of taking advantage of fixed wired port location(s).

Message 3 of 9
BiGMERF
Apprentice

turns out, i can get the three pack of ax4200 for $300.. plus the 250 for the wiring.. puts me $200 short of the ax6000 2 pack price.. ugh decisions

Message 4 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@BiGMERF wrote:

.......Now, I do not have any Ethernet wiring running through my home.  But I can get it done for $250.  So I'm starting to think that maybe taking back the ax6000. Using the 250 for the wiring and getting the ax4200 for 500.   Essentially spending the same amount

What is making you think that the cause of the drops is the wireless backhaul? Have you done enough troubleshooting?

I think that wired backhaul is useful only if you have the satellites very far away from the router and outside the wifi coverage of the router, otherwise i think that wireless backhaul is as stable as wired backhaul in Orbi.

Message 5 of 9
BiGMERF
Apprentice

No no, I'm not saying that the drops are due to the wireless backhaul. I was just commenting on the overall stability of it.  

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Though wireless on orbi is good, things to remember are building materials, disstance, placement and surrouding environment, i.e. other wifi neighbors and devices will all be a factor and contribute to wifi signal performance and stability and operation. Wired will always have better performances and stabliity over wireless. 

Message 7 of 9
Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

I’ve been using the RBK753 because it was cheaper than the RBK853 (purchased at Costco), but like the 853 has AX with the wireless back haul. I had problems with the Orbi app SpeedTest, but have had no problem at all with the WiFi throughout my house since I installed the Orbi. My house is just shy of 3,000 sq ft, two floors with the main router connection upstairs. My devices connect with no problem around my yard as well. We have about 30 devices connected. My satellites are connected wirelessly. My work laptop is connected via Ethernet cable to one of the satellites but my personal laptop (for virtual meetings) is wireless and has a solid connection with no drops. I upgraded from my ISP router because of poor signal throughout my house. The RBK753 solved that problem completely. It might be worth swapping yours out for the lower price system...but I wouldn’t worry about installing the Ethernet for $250...you likely don’t need it! I didn’t. Good luck.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Some users are having problems with the Orbi app, this is non dependent upon the Orbi model. Seems to be across both models. Some of us, haven't seen this speeed test issue. My 8 series has been doing well since last FW udpate, sans a NEST controller issue that NG is working on. Both wireless and wired backhaul are great. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7