Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

msinex
Apprentice

Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

I have had the Orbi AX6000 for a few months now.  While there are many things I love about it (great wifi coverage, great speed, looks nice, software, ease of setup, etc.), there are two very frustrating issues that pop up intermittently across my network that are extremely frustrating and causing me to consider taking the unit back.  

I am continuing to have intermittent DNS errors across multiple devices and different web browsers.  I basically receive some sort of name resolution error based on the system (have seen in on Windows 10, my work win7 device, a Rasberry Pi device, even once on my Nintendo switch).  This has occured on mahcines both on WiFi and connected via ethernet.  All I have to do is refresh the browser and it usually connects immediately.  I have upgraded the router and satellites up to V3.2.15.25 and still facing the same issue.  I downgraded back to my old Nighthawk router, and didn't see the same issue, so it's definately the router.  I shifted the DNS from my ISP (Spectrum gigabit) to google DNS, and faced the same issue.  It certainly isn't constant, but maybe happens once every 15-30 minutes.  I leave my Raspberry Pi on because it runs a bulletin board display that refreshes every five minutes, and I come back to it and see a DNS error 1-2 times a day.

As of a few weeks ago, I'm not also getting WiFi issues with multiple different iOS devices (5 different ones).  I will pick up a device and try to connect to the internet, and it times out even though it is connected to the wifi.  I can turn on Airplane mode for a split second and turn it back off, and when it reconnects back to the WiFi I can connect to the internet just fine.

I have tried to powercycle everything and even tried to reset and rebuild the router setup, and still run into the same issues.  Any advice you can offer here would be greatly appreciated!  

Message 1 of 579
Mikey94025
Hero

I and other Orbi AX owners have seen these intermittent DNS failures as well: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-frequently-issuing-DNS-REFUSED-responses/m-p/1926207...

I don't believe that there is a fix available yet.  For my Windows laptop I'm able to work around the issue by changing the Windows network's TCP/IP properties to not obtain a DNS server automatically (i.e., use the Orbi's DNS settings) and instead hardcoded 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS).  Someone else in the above thread said they did the same for their iPhone and saw similar improvement.

Message 2 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 3 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply @Mikey94025 , I will try that solution today on my main PC and see if that helps and make sure to add myself to the other discussion as well.  It's both reassuring and frustrating that I'm not the only one with the DNS issues.  It sounds like it isn't just me, but pretty frustrating to get bugs with something as basic as DNS from such an expensive router option.  I will come back and let you know how this solution works at least on the one computer, but hopefully netgear can address the issue.

Message 4 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply @FURRYe38 , my ISP is spectrum and the modem is a Spectrum branded with model e31u2v1.  This link shows the picture and an overview from someone else - https://larrytalkstech.com/the-spectrum-mystery-modem-e31_2v1/

Message 5 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Some DNS issues come from the ISP side. I would make contact with the ISP to see if they are noticing anything. Make changes on the Orbi RBR for custom DNS addresses as well to see if this changes anything. 

I don't see any DNS issues with mine however I'm on a different ISP and use a different modem. 

Message 6 of 579
arlomike
Apprentice

Sound like you might have an IP conflict and should look into that.  I've noticed that the DHCP server is dumb and hands out conflicting IPs.  

Message 7 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

DHCP wouldn't cause DNS errors. 

Message 8 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

Thanks @FURRYe38 , I actually shifted back to my old Nighthawk to see if it was something with my ISP or my network setup, and I didn't see any of the same DNS errors (just much less WiFi coverage).  I also wanted to get it back up and running and using as similar a router build as possible for the Orbi.  I did that, and am still having the same DNS issues (and now the dropped wifi issues).  Thanks for the thought though!

Message 9 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

Thanks @arlomike , could the DHCP be causing the wifi dropping off for my mobile devices?

Message 10 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset been performed since apply v32? 

What CTS values are you using under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Do you have Armor enabled? 

@msinex wrote:

Thanks @FURRYe38 , I actually shifted back to my old Nighthawk to see if it was something with my ISP or my network setup, and I didn't see any of the same DNS errors (just much less WiFi coverage).  I also wanted to get it back up and running and using as similar a router build as possible for the Orbi.  I did that, and am still having the same DNS issues (and now the dropped wifi issues).  Thanks for the thought though!

Message 11 of 579
arlomike
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

DHCP wouldn't cause DNS errors. 

Depends on how you define 'error'.  If you have an IP conflict (because DHCP gave you an IP that is currently in use), you have a potential that the DNS replies will not be sent back to you.  

Message 12 of 579
arlomike
Apprentice

@msinex wrote:

Thanks @arlomike , could the DHCP be causing the wifi dropping off for my mobile devices?

If wifi is disconnecting, then it's not DHCP.  If you are connected to your wifi SSID and you have intermittent connectivity to sites, etc., it is possible there is a IP conflict possibily due to DHCP handing out a conflicting IP.  Best way to check is to login to the router and see if your IP assignment conflicts w/ other devices that has gotten a lease from the DHCP server.   I ran into this problem w/ my wife's phone.  Her phone and my iPad had the same IP address.  These devices got their IPs via DHCP.   A work around is to statically assign your device that is not within the DHCP range.

Message 13 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

Thanks @arlomike , next time I have a device that runs into that wifi issue (shows as connected but with no internet access), I will check the IP tables and see what it says.

Message 14 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

Thanks @FURRYe38 .  I have done a factory reset since I ran into the issue, and it didn't resolve the situation.  I believe it may have been before the latest firmware update though.  Was there something in that update that may have addressed this issue?

I haven't ever enabled Armour on the device (or the Disney circle then either, which seems to cause issues from what I have seen trying to diagnose this myself reading past forum posts).

On CTS, everything is enabled on that page and automatic is turned on.  There is a greyed out value number of 2347 for the threshold.  I haven't done any research on these settings in the past, should I?

Message 15 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

You may have changed the CTS and RTS values around previously. 

I would investigate changing the DNS on the RBR to something else and see if anything changes, ie try google dns or quad 1's and 9's and see. 

Be sure to reboot or power cycle ALL devices after making this change on the RBR. This will clear out any DNS caches on the devices. 

Have you set up any IP address reservations? 

What is your default IP address pool? Mines 192.168.#.100 thru .200.

@msinex wrote:

Thanks @FURRYe38 .  I have done a factory reset since I ran into the issue, and it didn't resolve the situation.  I believe it may have been before the latest firmware update though.  Was there something in that update that may have addressed this issue?

I haven't ever enabled Armour on the device (or the Disney circle then either, which seems to cause issues from what I have seen trying to diagnose this myself reading past forum posts).

On CTS, everything is enabled on that page and automatic is turned on.  There is a greyed out value number of 2347 for the threshold.  I haven't done any research on these settings in the past, should I?

Message 16 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

Thanks @FURRYe38 , really appreciate the current thoughts.

I think I did make some changes to those values based on previous advice to try and fix this issue, and it didn't really do anything.  I have also shifted my DNS setting on the router from my default ISP to the google DNS service, and unfortunately no shift.  As luck would (or wouldn't) have it, I lost power during a storm a week back after I had made these changes and it was out for a chunk of the night, and still had the same DNS issues when things came back on.  Maybe you are asking about this for my mobile devices at the wifi issue?  I will power cycle those and see if it helps (since the storm didn't knock those out)

I do have one static IP address assigned for my NAS since I map a few drives off of it.  Right now I'm using the router as teh DHCP server, and have it assigning from .2 to .254 .  Is there some sort of strategy to shifting this?  Should I start it at .100 instead of .2?

Thanks again!!

Message 17 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

I would be a good trouble shooting step. Try the .100 to .200 pool size. I would power OFF alll devices accept for one wired PC to make the configuration change. I would set DNS back to automatic on the RBR as well. Once you make the change, and apply the setting. The RBR should reboot. After the RBR is back to ready, I would connect those devices seeing the DNS issue one at a time and see if the problem continues. 

By Static assigned NAS, do you mean an IP address reservation ON the router for the NAS or a static IP address configured ON the NAS? 

Message 18 of 579
rgautier
Apprentice

I have the same issues - and they are NOT related to DHCP.  If I change the DNS manually on the devices to ignore the Orbi DNS resolver, and use either my provider modem or just straight to Google or CloudFlare DNS, everything works SWIMMINGLY.  I LOVE my signal coverage, and the flexibility of the mesh.  I LOVE the speeds I get...but DNS...just SUCKS.

And what's worse is that there are NO DHCP OPTIONS on the Orbi to set DNS for clients to use something else.  I turned off Armor because I thought maybe it was burping on DNS lookups while it checked to see if the site was 'ok' or not.

And it fails on sites like YOUTUBE, for crying out loud.  A wait of 5 seconds and a reload, and DNS lookups start working again, but depending on the device, app and local DNS caching of the bad response, it's a right pain in the rear end.

I'm thinking of setting up a pi-hole and enabling DHCP from that device JUST to get DNS resolvers to be anything BUT this device. 

Problem was CONSTANT with 3.2.15.5 - just upgraded to .16.6 - crossing my fingers that this is fixed....but GOD this bug is irritating as hell.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 19 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 20 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply @rgautier .  Here is a quick update of where I sit with my two issues-

-I figured out that the WiFi signal drop was my fault based on not having the satellites spread out far enough.  I tested this by first having just the router running wiht no satellites, and had no issues with my wifi devices looking like they have a wifi connection but with no internet access.  I then turned on the furthest satellite, and still had no issues for a few days.  When I turned on the third satellite, I started having the same issues again.  I repositioned the satellites and router so they had a wider distance, and the issues haven't come back.  I guess when they are too close together, the wireless device bounces between them somehow I guess which causes some sort of interference?  Regardless, moving them around a bit further than what they recommend fixed it for me.

-The DNS issue continues despite a shift in ISP and a rebuild of the router settings from scratch.  I still have my old nighthawk and tried that one again, and no DNS issues at all (just crappier range and speed).  I go back to the Orbi, and have DNS issues immediately across different devices on either wired or wireless (including work stations, laptops, raspberry pi, even my Nintendo switch!!).  I went back in on some of my devices and manually set the DNS to Google and the issues diseappar.  Now it's been a complete pain to try and manually shift the DNS settings across my devices, where I can, but that is completely painful.  I've never run Armor or Circle, so it's not that.  I see these issues pop up from other people and they seem to be run through the same steps with no success either (unless I'm missing something, but please tell me!).  This is very obviously a router issue, and it's super frustrating given the veyr high price point of the router.  I've never had a router that can't handle a simple DNS process, and it's ridculous that it can't be addressed.  I love the coverage and the speed, but DNS errors are irritating at best, and a complete pain when it causes you to have to start over on web pages where you have to fill something out.  Is there anyway to at least get this posted as a known issue to Netgear???  If anyone has a fix here I've missed on the board, I would be very appreciative!  

Message 21 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

You can send a forum moderator a PM:

@Blanca.

Can you connect your NH router up as main host router then connect the RBR being the NH router. Yes you'll be double NAT however configure the NH routers DMZ for the IP address the RBR gets from the NH router. Then see if DNS issues still appear. 

@msinex wrote:

Here is a quick update of where I sit with my two issues-

-I figured out that the WiFi signal drop was my fault based on not having the satellites spread out far enough.  I tested this by first having just the router running wiht no satellites, and had no issues with my wifi devices looking like they have a wifi connection but with no internet access.  I then turned on the furthest satellite, and still had no issues for a few days.  When I turned on the third satellite, I started having the same issues again.  I repositioned the satellites and router so they had a wider distance, and the issues haven't come back.  I guess when they are too close together, the wireless device bounces between them somehow I guess which causes some sort of interference?  Regardless, moving them around a bit further than what they recommend fixed it for me.

-The DNS issue continues despite a shift in ISP and a rebuild of the router settings from scratch.  I still have my old nighthawk and tried that one again, and no DNS issues at all (just crappier range and speed).  I go back to the Orbi, and have DNS issues immediately across different devices on either wired or wireless (including work stations, laptops, raspberry pi, even my Nintendo switch!!).  I went back in on some of my devices and manually set the DNS to Google and the issues diseappar.  Now it's been a complete pain to try and manually shift the DNS settings across my devices, where I can, but that is completely painful.  I've never run Armor or Circle, so it's not that.  I see these issues pop up from other people and they seem to be run through the same steps with no success either (unless I'm missing something, but please tell me!).  This is very obviously a router issue, and it's super frustrating given the veyr high price point of the router.  I've never had a router that can't handle a simple DNS process, and it's ridculous that it can't be addressed.  I love the coverage and the speed, but DNS errors are irritating at best, and a complete pain when it causes you to have to start over on web pages where you have to fill something out.  Is there anyway to at least get this posted as a known issue to Netgear???  If anyone has a fix here I've missed on the board, I would be very appreciative!  

Message 22 of 579
rgautier
Apprentice

RBR750 here - This Furry guy also commented on my post about this, also without anything useful.  I've tried everything that I can do fix DNS on the Orbi.  The stupid thing just resets the DNS proxy (indeed it's a no-caching passthrough with a single purpose - to serve up a made up domain name for you to login easily).  It's only other purpose is to crash.

For Windows machines, you can fix this by bypassing the DNS proxy, but for IOT devices, you're SOL. 

I went to set up a pi-hole to server DHCP and DNS yesterday, and realized that I wouldn't be able to provide the IP separation for my guest and internal networks with a single solution (I'll need one pi-hole per SSID).

It sucks that I have to set up a complex network to solve the ever-crashing dnsmasq on a router I spent hundreds of dollars on, and that Netgear won't fix it....all we get are posts of 'did you try this, did you try that'.  There are plenty of posts on these boards that talk about how DNS constantly fails on these machines, and everyone working around it in different ways... including just turning off the router and using the Orbi as an AP, which is stupid - if I wanted AP's, I'd have bought them.

Of course, I'm now past my 90 day mark - so I'm not going to shell out MORE MONEY to Netgear to get support so they can just ship me another non-working (broken firmware) device.  And now that they've turned off telnet, I can either invalidate my warranty with alternate firmware, or solve the problem with alternate DHCP/DNS servers...

As much as FURRYe38 wants to believe it's some configuration error, anyone with any TCP/IP, DNS or server knowledge can tell you that the dnsmasq service on the device is crap and is broken in its current configuration....

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 23 of 579
rgautier
Apprentice

Just would like to add - I've NEVER enabled Circle on my Orbi, even from the original set up I never added parental controls.  (I have no younger children).  So it's not some Disney/parental control gone mad.

I HAVE disabled Armor on the device since starting it up.  If turning on Armor during setup even if disabling it later breaks the device this badly, it sounds like Netgear could figure out the ONE CONFIGURATION ENTRY IN A CONF FILE that's mucking it up and fix it in a firmware update.

Message 24 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe however seems to be a configuration issue for those of you who have posted about this. Others long with me have NOT seen any kind of DNS issue whatsoever. Though we don't run any form of additional DNS services. So there maybe additional problems seen if these are used in conjuction with Orbi that could cause problems. 

Anyways, IF users are seeing this, Please contact NG support and have them review this. If this is a FW issue, then theres nothing the forum can do here to correct FW issues. NG engineering need to do that. So your first contact needs to be NG support.

Good luck. 

Message 25 of 579
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7